C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dream of a liftime or POS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by We R 60
2012 with 16,000 miles. Taking it into the dealer for:

airbag light
targa top rattle
steering wheel squeak (for the second time)
brake pedal squeak
leather worn through on bolster
Airbag light is due to something that you shoved under the seats to unplug the harness connector. A zip tie to pull it up under the seat will solve that problem.

Targa top noise is from not coating the rubber molding once a season that is part of the normal maintenance.

Steering wheel and pedal squeaks, normal from heat and dust, and just lubing the bearing parts again makes that go away (normal maintenance once again).

Bolster wear, it's how you get in and out of the seat/car that is causing the wear, and if you had racing seats, would be complaining about how the bolster on the seat is destroying your clothing instead.

Simply, sounds like you would be better of with a Buick (what your mustang was) instead.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

airbag light
targa top rattle
brake pedal squeak

My '72 Mustang II had fewer squeaks and rattles.

Completing the quality experience, I just tried to arrange a service appointment on the dealer's website. It's down and I should try again later.

Seriously?
i wonder if the website was made by gm?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Did he say a woman's skirt?

it would be even better if she were still in it.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe so..... No disrespect ,,but thereis no way i can do that to my vetteor any car i drive,,, fix the bolster and learn to get in and out of the seat w/o hitting it
Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Did he say a woman's skirt?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What's wrong with using a Mens skirt? Oh, nevermind
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by KayJay
2010 AW coupe
23500 miles
Never less than 21 mpg
BUT, the right front tire pressure monitor sensor has been a POS since I purchased the car, new. The Service Tire Pressure System comes up RF XXX even though the tire is inflated properly. After a few miles, the Service Active Handling System message appears, and then a few miles later, the Service Engine icon lights up and the car starts to run rough. While under warranty, I took the car to the dealership and asked for the sensor to be replaced, but they would not - would only "relearn" the sensor. Also said they could not find any error codes in history, or, "could not duplicate the condition."

Had the plug wires replaced (no longer under warranty) last year and the problem still persists. Have an appointment to have the sensor replaced tomorrow to see if that solves the problem. It's always the RF that causes the problem.

This latest time, as the tire temperatures increased steadily, the RF front stayed at 29 PSI according to the DIC; finally, the scenario described above played out again. Very frustrating on an otherwise enjoyable, trouble free vehicle.

Chevy Customer Service reps have assisted me in obtaining partial refunds on repairs made 1 month out of warranty because the problem was noted multiple times while under warranty, but, I believe everyone's wasted time and money would have been alleviated if the sensor was replaced initially under warranty. Hope my theory is correct - will know shortly.
I think you need to find a different dealership. They are only as good as the Techs they hire. The dealerships I am familiar with would have no trouble replacing a TPMS under warranty. Code history or no code history.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 PM
We R 60
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 ft 215. Not a string bean, but not a * ton either.

I have been getting in and out of american, german, british, swedish, and italian cars for years. Haven't had any trouble with interior wear until now. In fact, I have been restoring vintage cars for 20 years so am a fairly good judge of what normal wear should be.

I just think GM is not taking care of it's customers. I have done forum searches on all of the items I listed, and they have been issues since the C6 intro in '05.

Most of the things on my list are minor irritations including the leather wear. But the air bag connector problem is not. That is a dangerous defect that should have been cured early in the production run.

We all have dropped $50K or more on our vehicles. Doesn't GM owe us the effort to correct problems they know about.

BTW good catch on the Mustang II. It was a typo. It was a 1974 coupe and early production at that. Nice little car, but rusted away.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=We R 60;1586665032]6 ft 215. Not a string bean, but not a * ton either.

I have been getting in and out of american, german, british, swedish,

I had that problem on a 96 GS with the bolster color rubbing off my black interior leaving white area. The denim blue jeans were hard on the bolster. But leather dye would fix it perfectly ( black ). My top needs the contact points lube every six months or it starts the same noise. Been doing that now on my third C6! The more it sits out in the sun the more I lube the top. My 12GS only has 7k so the air bag light has'nt shown its self yet.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM
mrhandy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VET4LES
My 2005 with 35,000 miles has been relatively problem free. No rattles or squeaks. The leather still looks good. I do have the accessional check air bag light which I re-zip tie and is good for a few more months.

The dealer does not have a permanent fix for the air bag light so what ever they do it will probably be temporary. The Buick being recalled has the exact same problem as the C6 and they are removing the connector under the drivers seat and soldering the wires. The C6 does not warrant a recall.
Same as this but no check air bag light...57000+ miles!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 PM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by L82Brake
I think you need to find a different dealership. They are only as good as the Techs they hire. The dealerships I am familiar with would have no trouble replacing a TPMS under warranty. Code history or no code history.
You're 100% correct and that is what I intend to do if my appointment tomorrow is unsuccessful!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you should sell it and buy an Audi or BMW, less rattles and unfortunately less *****..The vette is not known for cabin sound quality, interior quality or luxury...just ***** to the wall...so if those interior qualities are of a higher priority than performance numbers then the mentioned alternatives might make you happier, just a suggestion.

Last edited by C6ROLLER; 04-16-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM
D.Guerra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow and they said I was harsh with my hitch comment. Nice to see folks like me here. OP good luck with your issues sir.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have been getting in and out of american, german, british, swedish, and italian cars for years. Haven't had any trouble with interior wear until now. In fact, I have been restoring vintage cars for 20 years so am a fairly good judge of what normal wear should be.

I just think GM is not taking care of it's customers. I have done forum searches on all of the items I listed, and they have been issues since the C6 intro in '05.

Most of the things on my list are minor irritations including the leather wear. But the air bag connector problem is not. That is a dangerous defect that should have been cured early in the production run.

We all have dropped $50K or more on our vehicles. Doesn't GM owe us the effort to correct problems they know about.

BTW good catch on the Mustang II. It was a typo. It was a 1974 coupe and early production at that. Nice little car, but rusted away.
The fact that you have the air bag connector issue, tells me a little bit about how you get in and out. That problem exists when tall and/or heavy drivers consistently use the memory seat function. When the setting for the seat height is on or near the lowest position, there is minimal space under the seat for the wiring. Then with a heavier than average body in the seat, it tends to push the wiring down enough to possibly snag on the carpet during one of the many times it moves forward/backward and pulls one of the wires loose in the connector.
After using the all too common plop, slide, sit-'n-spin entry method, which BTW wears the seat material and your pants, the seat sags enough to reduce the underseat space and that allows the wiring to snag.
GM can't control your body size, how you adjust the seat, or your method of entry. At 215 lbs, you are nearly at 50% of the load limit of the car.
The only time that connector issue is "dangerous" is when you've been T-boned and the side airbag doesn't inflate. Since side airbags are options and a warning light exists, it's the owner's preference and responsibility for maintenance. TPM systems are mandatory and also give warnings, yet GM is not responsible if you drive on an under-inflated tire and have an accident.
Oh BTW, it appears that the whole SIR system is disabled when speeds exceed 130 MPH. So as a general warning, try to avoid hitting anything above that speed, as it may be dangerous.

The Corvette design priorities are performance driven. If your priorities are different, then maybe it's the wrong car for you.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

KayJay, on my 2009 I had the same tire pressure issue, although it was the right rear. The problem stayed with the car right until the time I sold it and I told the new owner about it. The dealer replaced the sensor once when the car was "out" of the 3/36 as a "customer satisfaction" issue but it did not stop (the car had 54,000 on it when sold).

PM sent
Old 04-16-2014, 01:19 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Meh early 70's was my car "sweet" spot as I was in high school and taking auto mechanics and that was going to be my life...

As for the bolster...after 2011 they were upgraded. I got in the habit of using my left hand on the bolster to keep my fat azz off of it as I sat down in the seat. (that will cure the problem) but I know you want it fixed...

Good luck...
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
My 2005 with 35,000 miles has been relatively problem free. No rattles or squeaks. The leather still looks good. I do have the accessional check air bag light which I re-zip tie and is good for a few more months.

The dealer does not have a permanent fix for the air bag light so what ever they do it will probably be temporary. The Buick being recalled has the exact same problem as the C6 and they are removing the connector under the drivers seat and soldering the wires. The C6 does not warrant a recall.
Same here with my 2006 which is now at 42, 000 miles. Airbag light showed once, zip tied the connector and never returned. The connector is obviously a problem (as reported by many on this forum) but so far GM refuses to acknowledge and recall. Maybe the Cobalt fiasco will shed some light here too.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

airbag light
targa top rattle
brake pedal squeak

My '72 Mustang II had fewer squeaks and rattles.

Completing the quality experience, I just tried to arrange a service appointment on the dealer's website. It's down and I should try again later.

Seriously?
My Corvette experience since 05 is with a 98 used,06 and 07Z both new. 65,000 total miles driven. I've had a sensor and a cat.convertor both replaced under warranty.That's 9 years,2 items. I was employed with Ford from 1977-1982 as a tech and service writer and the Mustang II was the biggest POS of its' time.

Get notified of new replies

To Dream of a liftime or POS?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:06 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Haven't personally driven one but build quality does seem to be a common complaint on these cars. :/ Come on, GM...
Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzebill
no wonder they're so cheap compared with Ferraris.
I've never heard of Ferraris with issues...good thing they're not expensive repairs either
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
2012 gs

9000 miles.
no squeaks
no rattles
no interior problems
just a lot of fun.
Same, just bought a 2012 Blade Silver 4LT coupe. 16,058 miles on her when I bought her.

Seats like new (interior still smells like new leather)
no rattles or squeaks

I have the NPP fuse pulled...yeah baby!

MT

Quick Reply: Dream of a liftime or POS?