C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on buying Corvette

Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Steiny
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on buying Corvette

Hello, I am new here. I am hoping to be a Corvette owner soon. I know this is the for sale section so if the powers that be feel this needs to be moved, please feel to move it to a more appropriate thread.

My reason for writing in here is I came across this Corvette from a Porsche dealer that I assume that they got on a trade in. This car meets all of the criteria that I have been looking for personally. I would like to get some opinions on the price of this car and maybe any specifics that I should be looking for or questions that I should be asking.

This is a 2007. It has 21,000 miles. It says it has the Z51 package and has the Z51 emblems on the car. The Porsche dealer is asking $31,750 for it.

From what I know about the car, it has had 2 owners. There are a couple of service records listed on the report listed as oil changes. I plugged all of the info into Kelly Blue Book and the car is on the lower end of the price range according to that website.

I am probably making a mountain out of a molehill on this but I am a little concerned about there being two owners for a 7 year old car with 21,000 miles. Maybe I am just looking for something to be wrong since nothing is jumping out at me. The Porsche dealer may not have any idea on the history of the vehicle or the whys it was sold.

Another thing that concerns me is the asking price. Most dealers that I have looked at for used Corvettes are listed typically at the higher end of the book price or even way above it. So this one has me wondering if there is something wrong with it or maybe it being a Porsche dealer they do not want this car sitting around long because they do not want to be bothered with it. Again maybe I am getting concerned about nothing at all.

By the way, this car is located in California and I am in Oregon so I am not able to drive it. If some concerns are raised from this message, I have some relatives that live like 5 minutes away from this dealer who I could call and ask one of them to go check it out for me. I hope to not have to do that but I will wait until I see what some of the responses are here first.

I am thinking of making an offer of $30,000 but that could change depending on the feedback I get from here. I am thinking with an asking price of $31,750 and me offering $30,000 that we should be able to meet half way and have a deal.

Thank you for the feedback.

Here is a list of some of the other features listed about the car:

Enhanced Acoustic Package
1-Piece Removable Body-Color Roof Panel
7 Speakers
7-Speaker System
AM/FM radio
AM/FM Stereo w/CD Player/MP3 Playback
CD player
MP3 decoder
Radio data system
Air Conditioning
Automatic temperature control
Front dual zone A/C
Rear window defroster
Power driver seat
Power steering
Power windows
Remote keyless entry
Four wheel independent suspension
Speed-sensing steering
Traction control
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
ABS brakes
Dual front impact airbags
Front anti-roll bar
Low tire pressure warning
Occupant sensing airbag
Rear anti-roll bar
Electronic Stability Control
Delay-off headlights
Front fog lights
Fully automatic headlights
High-Intensity Discharge Headlights
Panic alarm
Security system
Speed control
Bumpers: body-color
Heated door mirrors
Power door mirrors
Driver door bin
Driver vanity mirror
Front Cupholders
Front reading lights
Illuminated entry
Leather Shift ****
Leather steering wheel
Outside temperature display
Passenger vanity mirror
Sport steering wheel
Tachometer
Tilt steering wheel
Trip computer
Voltmeter
Front Bucket Seats
Front Center Armrest
Highwear Nuance Leather Seat Trim
Passenger door bin
Variably intermittent wipers
3.42 Limited Slip Rear Axle Ratio
Fully Detailed
Fully Inspected
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1, no such thing as Z51 badge that was OEM! Must have been added by one of the owners. Same with the wheels, obviously not stock. Z51 has drilled rotors that you can see to verify.
What interior package: base , 2 or 3? Navigation? All those things you listed are standard equipment for a base car. I do not see the Z51 package listed?!
An '07 at 21,000 miles, the asking price in CALIF is too high for a base car, but then, it is a dealer. Base Corvettes generally do not bring a high dollar in Calif, especially from a Porsche dealer.
You need not worry about having more than one owner. That is no big deal.
Is it a manual or auto, how many roof panels. What kind of tires, oem run flats or after market? Exhaust been changed?
if you like the car, buy it, just make sure you know what you are buying. Most Porsche dealers do not know Corvettes! If you must offer, I would suggest you start at $27,000 and see what happens. You can always go up AFTER you know what the car actually has in it.
Ask for the VIN. From there you can determine the cars options and history. Better yet, find who the original selling dealer was, if you can. I did that and talked to them and was more than satisfied. BTW, my '06 was bought with 9,000 on the clock in '09, fully loaded except for mag ride and I paid close to what your dealer is asking. I mean Z51, navi, oem chrome wheels, 3 LT interior, 6 manual, etc, etc. Again, if you are new to Corvettes, make sure you know what you are buying..!!

Last edited by KX; 04-13-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Steiny
I know this is the for sale section so if the powers that be feel this needs to be moved, please feel to move it to a more appropriate thread.
Moved from the For Sale section.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by KX
Ask for the VIN. From there you can determine the cars options and history.
Coding the option package in the VIN did not begin until the 2010 model year.

Coding the option package name into the VIN, beginning with the 2010 MY C6s.

Starting with 2010 GM began coding 1LT, 2LT and the model etc into the VIN.

The fifth digit denotes model/equipment.

This is for the fifth digit on a 2010 and up
Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Steiny
Navigator

Default found a little more information

Wow, thank you very much. I am attaching some additional pictures and information. The Z51 logo is on the hood and inside on the console between the seats. Why would someone add these things if the car is not a Z51? Also I went on vinfreecheck.com and it showed it as a 1LT. I also was able to find the dealer who sold the car and contacted them to see if they could shed some additional light on what the car actually has. And hopefully this is ok, but here is the VIN #1G1YY26U275126626

It is an automatic and it does have navigation. It only has one top. I did ask the dealer about the tires but they have not got back to me. I did not ask about the exhaust. However when I talked to the Porsche dealer about the Z51 package he asked me how he would know and I was not sure how exactly to answer him.

My biggest concern is overpaying for this car or paying for something that I think I am getting but not really getting it.

Thanks again for the help. This is very valuable information.

Originally Posted by KX
#1, no such thing as Z51 badge that was OEM! Must have been added by one of the owners. Same with the wheels, obviously not stock. Z51 has drilled rotors that you can see to verify.
What interior package: base , 2 or 3? Navigation? All those things you listed are standard equipment for a base car. I do not see the Z51 package listed?!
An '07 at 21,000 miles, the asking price in CALIF is too high for a base car, but then, it is a dealer. Base Corvettes generally do not bring a high dollar in Calif, especially from a Porsche dealer.
You need not worry about having more than one owner. That is no big deal.
Is it a manual or auto, how many roof panels. What kind of tires, oem run flats or after market? Exhaust been changed?
if you like the car, buy it, just make sure you know what you are buying. Most Porsche dealers do not know Corvettes! If you must offer, I would suggest you start at $27,000 and see what happens. You can always go up AFTER you know what the car actually has in it.
Ask for the VIN. From there you can determine the cars options and history. Better yet, find who the original selling dealer was, if you can. I did that and talked to them and was more than satisfied. BTW, my '06 was bought with 9,000 on the clock in '09, fully loaded except for mag ride and I paid close to what your dealer is asking. I mean Z51, navi, oem chrome wheels, 3 LT interior, 6 manual, etc, etc. Again, if you are new to Corvettes, make sure you know what you are buying..!!
Attached Images      
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM
SheisVette
Intermediate

I am also in Oregon and purchased my c6 with 22,000 miles from Arizona dealer last year. IT is always a risk buying a car without ever test driving it but luckily for me it worked out. The dealer was asking $30,000 and I ended up negotiating it down to $25,500. I wouldn't put too much into the car having 2 owners within first 22,000 miles. A lot of Corvette owners tend to drive the car very little before selling it. If this is the one you love, fly out there for $150 bucks and test drive it and then enjoy the drive back.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

According to the pictures you posted the Vette has the 3LT Package as it has memory package, heated seats, and HUD. It does have Drilled Rotors which is part of the Z51 package. You should as the dealer to send you a picture of the RPO Codes which are located on a sticker on the driver side of the glove box. It will answer all of your questions look for these codes to answer you questions: 3LT Z51 AAB then go here: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/.../2007rpos.html for the rest. Good Luck with purchase.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 PM
mikes98pacecar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

car is gorgeous,low miles,well optioned...starting 27k is a realistic price point for a 07 coupe
Old 04-14-2014, 02:23 AM
Steiny
Navigator

Default A wealth of information.

Regardless if I get this car or not, the information posted here has been superb and I thank all of you.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck with the purchase, I agree with some of the recommendations, starting price to hagle around 25~27k then go from there. If you negotiate well, you may walk out of there with the car sold at a significant discount. I'm sure that dealer wantes to get rid of that vette.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
good luck with the purchase, I agree with some of the recommendations, starting price to hagle around 25~27k then go from there. If you negotiate well, you may walk out of there with the car sold at a significant discount. I'm sure that dealer wantes to get rid of that vette.
This. Never start your bid so high. I bought my one owner 06 from the dealer who sold it, serviced it and took it in on a new car trade in and got it for almost five grand less than their askng price.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

since dealer is asking 31k, starting at 25k seems reasonable.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

25.5 to 28 grand is what you should pay. Low mileage is normal for most corvettes. For many it's a sunny day car only.

My first corvette was like that and I realized I traded in a practically new car for my z06.

I got rid of my daily driver and decided to use my corvette here in the ny area as my daily driver.

Best decision I ever made. Every day is adventure. Every drive on my now third corvette which now has 72000 miles on it has been great.

That car looks like a beauty but it's priced about 4 grand too high.

Since you have to travel ? I'd offer 26.500 and test drive it when you get there. As long as there has been no accidents....and it drives good...then have a party and buy it.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I would not pay over $27k for that car. It looks like a nice car, but it is priced too high. If you buy it, you won't be sorry. You will love it. Awesome color, too.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I think high 20's (27k29k) would be a good range to buy it in. Some people here saying mid-20's is all it's worth are not being realistic right now. April and May are the peak buying season for these cars. They are the same people that if they had the exact same car they'd price it at 32K. All of these rock bottom prices you hear of happening don't happen as much as you would think, especially in Spring and Summer. The interior looks really clean, you can tell a lot about a vette by the interior.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The additional photos show the owners cared enough for this car to make improvement changes. The tombstone surround has been changed from the original oem titanium one from '07! Looks like the dash "pods" have also been changed. That is always is a change for the good. Don't much care for the colored CORVETTE inset on the dash being body color and the same with the Corvette cross flags on the consol lid. But those are minor issues.
You need to find out more about the tires this car is wearing. Replacements will cost you more than you think if they are not in decent shape. I would also look into those wheels to determine what size tires you will need. The Z51 badges are kind of corny but some like that crap.
Best of luck in your purchase.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:15 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice looking car. Looks well cared for. I even like the body colored wheels!

BobD

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on buying Corvette

Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

sharp looking car! like the others have mentioned, 21000 is low milage for that year vette, and in very good condition. don't be put off due to it being a two owner car. if you do arrive at an agreed price, ask if you can take it to your mechanic to have it checked out before signing on the dotted line. i don't know if dealerships would do that but it wouldn't hurt to ask. if not then ask if you could have your mechanic go there to check it out. i seriously doubt there would be problems but you never know. some guys baby their cars, others not. jmo. either way, lots of luck.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Steiny
Navigator

Default Update on this car

I was told by the dealer that someone came in and looked at it a couple of days ago and made an offer but wanted to see the car detailed and would be back in. Of course my mind thinks that is not so true and just a ploy to get me to throw in a higher offer than I normally would for the car.

I did get the sales guy to take a picture of the sticker in the glove box. A couple of things to note on that sticker. It does have the codes Z51 as well as what looks like 3LT (a little blurry but I think that is what it says).

Here is what I am a little confused about. The on the dealer website says it has Z51 handling package. Yet one of the replies on this forum said that does not look it has the Z51 option. The salesman from the dealership said today that it is not a Z51, yet when I look at the codes from the glove box, it has the Z51 code. So quite honestly I am little confused. Please help.

I am still trying to get information on the tires and hopefully in the next 24 hours I can get some of these things cleared up and put in an offer unless of course there really is another buyer who gets it.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Steiny, let me throw in my 2 cents here...

I see most of the guys paying around 28k for a nice '07 such as the one you're looking at.

More importantly, most guys are buying clean, low mileage, 2008 'vettes for around $31 to $32k. Is there anything wrong with an '07, of course not.

However, I personally would not consider an '07 when a few dollars more, will buy me an '08 with what I consider considerable production year improvements.

Remember, always try to buy the very latest model year you can afford, that has everything you're looking for, because each year brings improvements.

The LS3 engine was introduced in 2008, slightly more hp, and bullet proof. The Tremec T6060 transmission, less "notchy" smoother shifting, new steering system, NPP exhaust, (which is truly a great system), improved interior on all models, All leather interior added (4LT, 3LZ) and a number of other improvements.

Seems to me, that missing out on all those improvements, by 1 model year and perhaps less than $3,000 doesn't make any sense.

But, that's just me, what ever you decided to buy, best of luck to ya.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion on buying Corvette