C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to provide an Ignition Controlled Auxiliary Power Outlet

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bonnell
I read about this yesterday on your web site. I have been waiting to get a PAL (new or used) and I have been considering the PAL alternative that you reviewed. I like being able to control an iPhone via my nav unit. I bought a PAL 2 from you and installed it in my last C6.

Now however I have a Windows phone so I would not only need to by the PAL/replacement but I would also need an iPod and this would not give me Bluetooth for the phone.

With that said, this fuse product along with the simple Bluetooth product looks good.

Ray what is the quality like when using this for a phone conversation?
The Version 2 PAL is a great interface for the C6 Corvette if you have an iPod or an iPhone, because of the control and display features (even on the HUD) it offers. That's why I still use my PAL even though I have an Android smartphone. I use the PAL with a dedicated iPod Nano (Generation 3 so it will charge with the OEM cable) so I can keep my music and audiobooks on it. That's what the PAL is really designed for - playing your music.

That said, an auxiliary input along with the Kinivo Bluetooth offers some features that the PAL doesn't have - handsfree calling and wireless audio streaming. It doesn't offer the control and display features of the PAL, but these other features are definitely something to consider, especially if you have a smartphone other than an iPhone. You can even leave your smartphone in your pocket.

The handsfree calling is very nice and the quality is good, since you are listening over the audio system. I think it's as good as the Onstar calling, considering that we all have a considerable amount of road noise in our Vettes. The Kinivo microphone in the main button is good, and you can place it in lots of alternative locations. In my own car, I just leave the Kinivo in the center console and pull it out when I'm driving and set it in front of the console lid:

but that's a personal choice.

This post should really be in the Bluetooth thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...or-vettes.html

since it pertains more to the features of the Bluetooth alternatives, but along with the Kinivo Bluetooth, this new Fuse Jumper is definitely handy because it allows you to keep the Kinivo always connected.

Hope that helps,

Ray
Old 04-17-2014, 12:52 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by *Trip*
THIS^.....I like having an "always hot" in my console for charging my phone if needed while Im not in the car......

so the question is; does this mod change both of these power/cig lighter locations or just the console....

thanks for coming up with "solutions"
Here's the wiring in the passenger fuse block:

This Fuse Jumper mod, as described on my website:

http://www.kawal.net/poweroutlet.htm

changes only the Auxiliary Power Outlet in the center console. But as noted above, you could just as well plug in the Fuse Jumper to the cigarette lighter fuse location instead. The Fuse Jumper can be used for either circuit, but not both - unless I modified the Fuse Jumper. It would be pretty easy to add a second wire and terminal to plug into both fuse locations if that was desired. Both fuse locations would then be fed through the second 10 amp fuse.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 04-17-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
The Version 2 PAL is a great interface for the C6 Corvette if you have an iPod or an iPhone, because of the control and display features (even on the HUD) it offers. That's why I still use my PAL even though I have an Android smartphone. I use the PAL with a dedicated iPod Nano (Generation 3 so it will charge with the OEM cable) so I can keep my music and audiobooks on it. That's what the PAL is really designed for - playing your music.

That said, an auxiliary input along with the Kinivo Bluetooth offers some features that the PAL doesn't have - handsfree calling and wireless audio streaming. It doesn't offer the control and display features of the PAL, but these other features are definitely something to consider, especially if you have a smartphone other than an iPhone. You can even leave your smartphone in your pocket.

The handsfree calling is very nice and the quality is good, since you are listening over the audio system. I think it's as good as the Onstar calling, considering that we all have a considerable amount of road noise in our Vettes. The Kinivo microphone in the main button is good, and you can place it in lots of alternative locations. In my own car, I just leave the Kinivo in the center console and pull it out when I'm driving and set it in front of the console lid:

but that's a personal choice.

This post should really be in the Bluetooth thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...or-vettes.html

since it pertains more to the features of the Bluetooth alternatives, but along with the Kinivo Bluetooth, this new Fuse Jumper is definitely handy because it allows you to keep the Kinivo always connected.

Hope that helps,

Ray
Thanks for the reply. Yes the PAL is nice. I put one in my last vette and I intended to put one in my current vette and buy an iPod but since I can't find one I think the Bluetooth alternative is a good one.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Original PALs are available!

I just received an update from my favorite Parts Man, Bob Wendorff at Fichtner Chevrolet in Montana, and some more Corvette PALs have resurfaced.

Please see my PAL Upgrade page if you are interested:

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20upgrade.htm

Ray
Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

All orders for the Fuse Jumper have been shipped.

Ray
Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 AM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Received mine Sat and installed it right away. Took about 15 min. Came w perfect instruction. (Lots of other vendors should use kawal instructions sent w/product as how to supply their customers with proper install paper work)

Thanks Kawal !
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by whit1
Received mine Sat and installed it right away. Took about 15 min. Came w perfect instruction. (Lots of other vendors should use kawal instructions sent w/product as how to supply their customers with proper install paper work)

Thanks Kawal !
Thank you for the compliment. I think we are all used to seeing the Chinese instructions for everything these days. Half of them don't even have correct English - might as well toss them in the trash.

Ray
Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 PM
blacktop373737
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ordered, thanks for supporting our "outdated" cars
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
Thank you for the compliment. I think we are all used to seeing the Chinese instructions for everything these days. Half of them don't even have correct English - might as well toss them in the trash.

Ray
Very true Ray. Moderators should use your instruction as a Sticky for all vendors to follow !!!

Thx again fuse jumper is Awsome , works flawlessly.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool Ray.. just ordered one.. Might put it on a switch so it can work either way. At the track, I want that Aux plug hot all the time so I can charge cameras, phones, etc between sessions.. Day to day, I use it for the B/T adaptor and I'd like it to be Ign switched... hmmm.. Greats solution. Thank yoU!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Out of town

I've noticed quite a few orders, but my wife and I are down at our place in Oregon this week. We'll be home next Monday, at which time I can ship all of the fuse jumpers and harnesses that Vette owners have ordered.

Sorry for the short delay. When I'm home I can usually ship the same or next day after I receive an order. Can't be working all the time though.

Ray
Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by franman69
Cool Ray.. just ordered one.. Might put it on a switch so it can work either way. At the track, I want that Aux plug hot all the time so I can charge cameras, phones, etc between sessions.. Day to day, I use it for the B/T adaptor and I'd like it to be Ign switched... hmmm.. Greats solution. Thank yoU!
Note that this fuse jumper can be used on either the auxiliary power outlet in the center console or the cigarette lighter next to the ash tray. If you use it for the console outlet, you'll still have the cigarette lighter that is hot all the time.

Ray
Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

I was asked about the size of the fuses in the Corvette fuse panel. They are the mini ATM fuses.

Ray
Old 02-09-2015, 11:04 PM
WAGNUM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ray! Installed mine a few days ago on my 08 vert, works perfect. Will this work on a C5? My dad wants one for his.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Seconded. Would like to know if this would work in a C5 as well...
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by WAGNUM
Thanks Ray! Installed mine a few days ago on my 08 vert, works perfect. Will this work on a C5? My dad wants one for his.
I'm sorry but I can't tell you since I'm just not familiar with the C5 fuse panels. But someone who knows what the C5 fuse panels look like might be able to answer this.

The idea is to find a fuse that is nearby the auxiliary power outlet fuse - if there is one in a C5 - that is controlled by the ignition switch rather than directly from the battery. In the case of the C6, the windshield wiper fuse happened to be in the same panel area, and that fuse is hot only in run and accessory modes. So I just jumped from the windshield wiper fuse over to the power outlet fuse and piggybacked a new fuse to the power outlet.

A C5 owner should find his power outlet fuse, then examine the panel for other fuses nearby. Are they always hot or is there a fuse that is hot only in run and accessory modes? The same type of Fuse Jumper can be built with the appropriate length if the right fuse can be found.

Cadillace XLRs can use the C6 Fuse Jumper since I believe they have the same fuse panel as the C6 Vettes.

http://www.kawal.net/poweroutlet.htm

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 02-11-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

I will report back on a C5 when I try it out on a friend's car soon.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:44 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

C5 Fuse Panel:

The lighter outlet in the console is Fuse #1.
The lighter outlet in front of the shifter/base of the dash is Fuse #7.

I used #1 for a hidden wire install.

I used Fuse #11 ASRYOFF (20A) to supply my switched power. The add-a-tap lead went from #11 with the original 20A fuse to the #1 LOWER FEMALE SPADE RECIEVER. I just crimped on a thin male spade connector to the wire lead on the add-a-tap. So the TOP is a 12V always on supply, DO NOT PLUG THERE. If you want to double check, probe both with a multimeter for 12V with the key off.

A little about #11 ASRYOFF fuse:
Originally Posted by lucky131969
There are three taped/stowed wires in the BCM area: Black, yellow, orange. Orange is hot at all times, yellow is switch with ignition, black is ground. Fuse 11 is for the yellow wire. Provided for accessories.

+1 for Kawal's on C5s.

Last edited by KnightmareCS; 03-01-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:41 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
C5 Fuse Panel:

The lighter outlet in the console is Fuse #1.
The lighter outlet in front of the shifter/base of the dash is Fuse #7.

I used #1 for a hidden wire install.

I used Fuse #11 ASRYOFF (20A) to supply my switched power. The add-a-tap lead went from #11 with the original 20A fuse to the #1 LOWER FEMALE SPADE RECIEVER. I just crimped on a thin male spade connector to the wire lead on the add-a-tap. So the TOP is a 12V always on supply, DO NOT PLUG THERE. If you want to double check, probe both with a multimeter for 12V with the key off.

A little about #11 ASRYOFF fuse:

+1 for Kawal's on C5s.
Looks like it works great on a C5. You could even use a 20 amp fuse instead of a 10. A 10 amp fuse should be plenty for most uses however.

Thanks for the update to help C5 owners.

Ray

Quick Reply: How to provide an Ignition Controlled Auxiliary Power Outlet