Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Closed Thread
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
donwil
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Default Black wheels, I dont get it

I know Im going to get torched for this but to me black wheels are the worst thing ever. You cant see the design very well unless your close,they do nothing to enhance the cars color and basically look like your driving on 4 spares. How can people like these wheels and pay for them? you couldn't give me a set. But what do I know? I'm the old "get off my lawn "guy. Ok let the destruction begin!
donwil is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
lordofwar
CF Senior Member
 
lordofwar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwil View Post
I know Im going to get torched for this but to me black wheels are the worst thing ever. You cant see the design very well unless your close,they do nothing to enhance the cars color and basically look like your driving on 4 spares. How can people like these wheels and pay for them? you couldn't give me a set. But what do I know? I'm the old "get off my lawn "guy. Ok let the destruction begin!
black wheels look good on some cars,but not all cars.if you are going with the mean modern look,then black wheels are the ticket.gm put black wheels on my 2012 gs ce edition for a reason.with the carbon flash paint,which is really black metalflake,and 2 big flat black racing stripes from front to back gives it that modern mean look.i saw a 2012 gs centennial edition car like mine at a car show.the owner had replaced the black wheels with chrome ones.i did not know it was a ce edition until I got real close to look at it.did it look bad with chrome wheels?,not really.what it did was make it look like any other black vette with chrome wheels.i bought my car because it was the meanest looking vette I had ever seen,and it still holds true today for me.



Last edited by lordofwar; 04-08-2014 at 07:21 PM.
lordofwar is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
RODXL1200
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
RODXL1200's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Santa clarita Ca
Default

I am 55 years old and love the blacked out look!
Attached Images
 
RODXL1200 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
z edge
CF Senior Member
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: BOOMER SOONER
Default

I have chrome gumbys on my cyber gray coupe. I like them but was considering getting comp gray or black wheels to give it a meaner look. I cant decide which to go with but will keep the chromes also in case I want to switch back. I think it just depends on the car and the color, black wheels look mean but chrome still looks good. The only thing I don't like is the base silver wheels, those look plain imho.
z edge is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
saplumr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Saint Albans, WV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z edge View Post
I have chrome gumbys on my cyber gray coupe. I like them but was considering getting comp gray or black wheels to give it a meaner look. I cant decide which to go with but will keep the chromes also in case I want to switch back. I think it just depends on the car and the color, black wheels look mean but chrome still looks good. The only thing I don't like is the base silver wheels, those look plain imho.
Unlike chrome it's impossible to see detail on black from any distance.
saplumr is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
z06clif
CF Senior Member
 
z06clif's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Sinai NY
Default

Definitely nasty(as in I like) looking. Although I would like them with the red stripe around the rim. When I was younger there were "red lined" tires on certain models that I fell in love with but they don't make them now or if they do they would be cost preventative. Its all in the eye of the beholder. ive seen some things done to cars that make me crazy but its not for me to judge.

Clif
z06clif is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
96GS#007
Tech Contributor
 
96GS#007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Location: Los Angeles CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwil View Post
I know Im going to get torched for this but to me black wheels are the worst thing ever. You cant see the design very well unless your close,they do nothing to enhance the cars color and basically look like your driving on 4 spares. How can people like these wheels and pay for them? you couldn't give me a set. But what do I know? I'm the old "get off my lawn "guy. Ok let the destruction begin!
Been discussed a million times. Don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. Maybe time for a vision test.

Obviously a slow day for the :
__________________
Jim
'96 Grand Sport #007
A few mods here and there
96GS#007 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
SUB VETTE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SUB VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Default

I'm with the OP. Black wheels do nothing for me

But then that's me and not you
SUB VETTE is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
C5A
CF Member
 
C5A's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: San Juan Bautista California
Default

Yes, I am biased cause I think my 2011 black GS looks fantastic with chrome wheels.
C5A is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
z edge
CF Senior Member
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: BOOMER SOONER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saplumr View Post
Unlike chrome it's impossible to see detail on black from any distance.
was even thinking about something like this instead of comp gray

Click the image to open in full size.

not sure if I want the spyder wheels or the cup wheels though

these would look good too

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by z edge; 04-08-2014 at 07:57 PM.
z edge is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
su8pack1
CF Senior Member
 
su8pack1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Eastern PA
Default

The same with carbon fiber, it just looks unfinished.
su8pack1 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
tomtoro
CF Senior Member
 
tomtoro's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Default

Beautiful Car!!!!

Black wheels for me and will plasti dip mine this spring to see if I want it permanent. Then powder coat.

I don't have that awesome metal flake paint, but black on black with black(rims) is good with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofwar View Post
black wheels look good on some cars,but not all cars.if you are going with the mean modern look,then black wheels are the ticket.gm put black wheels on my 2012 gs ce edition for a reason.with the carbon flash paint,which is really black metalflake,and 2 big flat black racing stripes from front to back gives it that modern mean look.i saw a 2012 gs centennial edition car like mine at a car show.the owner had replaced the black wheels with chrome ones.i did not know it was a ce edition until I got real close to look at it.did it look bad with chrome wheels?,not really.what it did was make it look like any other black vette with chrome wheels.i bought my car because it was the meanest looking vette I had ever seen,and it still holds true today for me.


tomtoro is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
VET4LES
CF Senior Member
 
VET4LES's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Default

I'm not a fan of black wheels.
VET4LES is online now  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
lordofwar
CF Senior Member
 
lordofwar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VET4LES View Post
I'm not a fan of black wheels.
if that is your red vette in your avatar,then I say it looks better with chrome wheels.like I stated black wheels look good on certain cars.
lordofwar is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
hdkeno
CF Senior Member
 
hdkeno's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Enfield CT
Default

I personally am not a big fan of black wheels,but if you like them go for it. When i had my c5 and spent time on c5 general, Ive noticed a lot more guys (and gals) put the black wheels on their c5's. Much more so then with the c6's...
hdkeno is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
not08crmanymore
CF Senior Member
 
not08crmanymore's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: tri state area ny/nj.
Default

Black wheels,comp gray wheels etc change the whole look of the car.I was a chrome wheels guy,then tried black one day and comp gray on my 05. Simply fell in love with the look.Would never go back to the 60's,70's, 80's era chrome look! I like my car looking sinister and the dark wheels do that for it. Oh and those comp gray wheels on the 05??300 buck option...the black ones on my '13 GS?495...CAN'T BEAT THAT WITH A STICK!For the record..I'm a guy from the era when CADDY'S were luxury cars and everybody had whitewall tires!!I can't understand why no one use whitewalls anymore,young kids don't know what they are,and everybody seems to think Caddy's are race cars!!

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 04-08-2014 at 07:50 PM.
not08crmanymore is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #17
lordofwar
CF Senior Member
 
lordofwar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by not08crmanymore View Post
Black wheels,comp gray wheels etc change the whole look of the car.I was a chrome wheels guy,then tried black one day and comp gray on my 05. Simply fell in love with the look.Would never go back to the 60's,70's, 80's era chrome look! I like my car looking sinister and the dark wheels do that for it. Oh and those comp gray wheels on the 05??300 buck option...the black ones on my '13 GS?495...CAN'T BEAT THAT WITH A STICK!
lordofwar is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
Markallamerican
CF Senior Member
 
Markallamerican's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Flagstaff Az.
Default

I'm not a fan either, looks cheap, but I try to keep an open mind. Black chrome does look pretty good tho
Markallamerican is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
saplumr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Saint Albans, WV
Default

Standard mode of operation goes like this. Black wheel people say chrome is out of date and for old people with gold chains....chrome wheel people say black is best on LEO vehicles or temporary tire. Nobody should care one bit what one or the other thinks or says.
saplumr is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #20
slosh123
CF Member
 
slosh123's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Cherry Valley Illinois
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5A View Post
Yes, I am biased cause I think my 2011 black GS looks fantastic with chrome wheels.


Mine is a 2010 and black wheels are not my thing. But if you like them, enjoy. That is why Baskin Robbins makes 32 flavors!
Attached Images
 
slosh123 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Black wheels, I dont get it
 
 
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: OZ Superleggera 3pc wheels 19x12 and 18x10 badlink03 C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted 1 05-03-2014 11:47 PM
FS: OZ Superleggera 3pc wheels 19x12 and 18x10 badlink03 C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 6 05-03-2014 11:46 PM
Wtb c6 gumby wheels youradumb1 C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 10 01-13-2014 06:24 PM
NRB and Black Wheels - THOUGHTS Bat7Man C7 General Discussion 28 06-20-2013 11:21 AM
ZR1 Chrome Wheel Advice rekvette C6 Corvette ZR1 18 12-19-2012 10:46 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2