C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a new 2013... & probably just got screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:26 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a new 2013... & probably just got screwed.

Howdy CF'ers. haven't posted here in a couple years. Got a little problem I am hoping you can help me with...

Bought a new 2013 Black/Black 6 speed manual two fridays ago. Last C6 at the dealer. Fell in love with the car, I've never bought a brand NEW car before much less a new vette. Wife and I were REALLY excited about driving away in it.

Got some problems with it though. Before I did the deal I noticed that it had the carpet pulled loose at the extreme rear/top under the deck lid near the rubber weather stripping. No prob, they said they'd replace it, being so enthused about a new vette I didn't mind. Came out of the finance office and was told they "couldn't find the second remote but they'd look for it while we wait for the carpet from GM and order one for you if we don't find it". I asked for the window sticker on it, "we can't find that either, we'll have to get Chevy to print one for you".

So, oh well, I took it home and the next day (saturday) went out on a long cruise. Really love the car. while out we discovered there was also no owners manual in it, later we discovered the eastern US nav DVD was missing. Couple more days of cruising, about 800 miles worth, I take it to the car wash to get it's first batch of bugs off the nose. I'm blasting the lower lip of the nose and I'm shocked to see several hairline cracks in a semi-circular pattern appear in a spot just left of center.

About that time the evidence started to fall into place for me... I'm betting this car was sold on a weekend, the buyer bumped the nose, freaked out and brought it back and talked them into unwinding the deal on it for a different car. They probably masked the white hairline cracks with a sharpie pen or something, Now I'm stuck with it.

I suspect they're gonna accuse me of doing the damage and just trying to get them to fix it for free, and I suppose at this point its just my word against theirs but I've been BABYING this thing since I drove it off the lot... going in/out of driveways at 45deg... avoiding any driveways that look too steep... parking 3 or 4 feet from wheel stops to make sure i don't scrape them... etc. right now I'm just sick, can't believe they pulled this on me.

just wondered what my options are with GM before I go back to the dealer and confront them about it. Is there some sort of a way to determine if a car was sold for a few hours and then returned?

Can the nose be repainted or should it be replaced... After finding the cracks I also noticed that the little triangular portions of the nose just inside both headlights are popped up a little, can't push them back down. Further evidence of a bumped nose ???

HELP !!!

thanks

Last edited by lone73; 04-06-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Check lemon-law statutes for your state. I would confront the dealer, but that's me. It's a 13, so it's still under warranty, the dealer may very well attempt to have it replaced under warranty.

You should have CARFAX'd and had it inspected by a third party before you bought it though- in the end the onus is on you for due dilligence Sorry it didn't work out as wonderfully as you wanted though.

[EDIT]
As pointed out below I misread your post as suggesting it was a "new-to-me" purchase, rather than a wholly new vehicle. In which case, I wouldn't have CARFAX'd it either. As was pointed out by another member further down below, an itemized list of the issues (preferably after an inspection by a third party to confirm it's just cosmetic) is a great thing to make PRIOR to approaching the dealer. With that in hand, you can go in with the knowledge you need and demand the car is repaired to your satisfaction and in a timely fashion, and that all materials missing that would normally accompany a new vehicle purchase be ordered. I wouldn't be concerned about the mileage at all, it's probably been test driven, and that's hardly an amount to raise an eyebrow at. At this point though, having to go back like that, I would prefer to speak to the general manager right off the bat.

If they work to satisfy your requests, and the materials are ordered (at their expense, of course) and delivered I would walk away pleased with my vehicle. Mistakes happen- so long as they're rectified I'm of the mindset of "No harm no foul". If I felt like I was getting the run-around, I would contact GM directly and see what advice they can give regarding how best to approach the situation, before looking into possible legal solutions.

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 04-07-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

When the dealer told you about fixing the carpet, did they put it in writing or was it "their word"? I doubt that you can get a new window sticker from GM but you can get one from the National Corvette Museum, but make the dealer pay for it..!!! I think I have an idea of what you mean by the "hairline cracks off center" but if that was not mentioned "at time of delivery" you most likely will have a problem getting them to fix it, but try. At one time you could buy copies of the owners manual from HELM (publishers of the service manuals) but I don't know if they do that anymore and they are expensive because it's not just the owners manual, do you have navigation also? Again, get the dealer to replace the owner manual and all the other items that came with it. When they get a new key fob, make them program both and make sure it has the key in it and that the key works in the lock above the rear license plate (don't let them drill the front mount into the car if you are a two plate state).

PS: how many miles were on the car before you "test drove" it??
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2014, 12:40 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by DillingerRadio
Check lemon-law statutes for your state. I would confront the dealer, but that's me. It's a 13, so it's still under warranty, the dealer may very well attempt to have it replaced under warranty.

You should have CARFAX'd and had it inspected by a third party before you bought it though- in the end the onus is on you for due dilligence Sorry it didn't work out as wonderfully as you wanted though.
Not when you're buying a new car, its expected to be new without damage.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you have like 72 hours to return the car by law or something like that.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I agree... Who does a Carfax on a new car?? Typically, It's be a waste of time and money.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Red98C5
How many miles were on the car before you "test drove" it??
Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

The first step is to document all the issues and take it back to the dealer. If they are willing to take care of everything at no cost to you than I guess all is good.
If not then I would contact GM directly not thru this forum and see what they are willing to do.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,859 Likes on 1,981 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Have them run a carfax on it and then go talk to them. If they have misrepresented the car in any way then you will have them by the shorthairs. You then can choose to not take the car or they will be more than happy to make it perfect for you. Dealers are very conscious about their customer service records and can lose GM money or some benefits if they get bad reviews.

Good luck with it......
Old 04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought the newer map dvds were only 1 dvd. But I might be wrong.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Take it back and deal honestly and firmly with the dealer. You're in the right. Be a gentleman but be firm and know that a satisfactory conclusion can be found.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

No window sticker to the owner on a new car is against the law--"The Monroney sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States and can only be removed by the consumer (Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233, Title 15 of the United States Code). A fine of up to US$10,000 per vehicle plus one year in jail for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing. The act does not apply to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 8500 pounds (3856 kg).."
One fob, no manual. Something really stinks about this. Go back to the Dealer and quote them the above referenced USC Title. If they don't fall over themselves to make you happy, contact the United States Attorney for your state. You have not bought a "new" car, I would guess. If it is, the Dealer is in deep do-do. Either way, you have the power to have things made right.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Woops, yes you are correct- I misread the OP's post as a new-to-me one, rather than a brand new off the lot.

In that case, take it back to the dealer and have them fix.. Well everything- they're responsible for presenting a new car as a new car. The fact that they don't have both fobs, the manual, and everything else would skunk me. As the others have said, be firm but polite. Since it was sold as brand new, I would believe it's the dealer's responsibility to fix all of it.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red Racer
The car had 249 miles on it when I first looked at it. It was built in Sept of '12. Figured it just had a lot of tire kickers over the last year and a half...

Regarding the Carfax, as has been pointed out, I thought I was buying a BRAND NEW car. It never occurred to me to check that.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

If it was truly a new car then you should have no problems. How many miles on the odometer at the time of purchase?

If the car was represented as a new car and it turns out that it was actually used or a demo then you would have recourse to give it back. Does your purchase a greement indicate the caar is a new purchase?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
lone73
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
No window sticker to the owner on a new car is against the law--"The Monroney sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States and can only be removed by the consumer (Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233, Title 15 of the United States Code). A fine of up to US$10,000 per vehicle plus one year in jail for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing. The act does not apply to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 8500 pounds (3856 kg).."
One fob, no manual. Something really stinks about this. Go back to the Dealer and quote them the above referenced USC Title. If they don't fall over themselves to make you happy, contact the United States Attorney for your state. You have not bought a "new" car, I would guess. If it is, the Dealer is in deep do-do. Either way, you have the power to have things made right.
Whoa !!
this sounds like something I can use as back up info! I will definitely look into it. Thanks !
Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Pretty sure that a NEW car shouldn't have 249 miles on it..... something's very wrong here... is it NEW or never registered....

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a new 2013... & probably just got screwed.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My guess is the owner of the dealership drove it with dealership plates for a while. If you like the car then try to work it out with the dealership.

I have only have one DVD.

Ask the dealer to order you a replacement window sticker.

Don't let this spoil your enjoyment. I had issues with the dealership when I purchased my first C6 years ago. I just put in all aside and enjoyed my ride. Their lost when I purchased my new GS from another dealer.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Call Chev Customer Service...LOL
Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lone73
The car had 249 miles on it when I first looked at it. It was built in Sept of '12. Figured it just had a lot of tire kickers over the last year and a half...

Regarding the Carfax, as has been pointed out, I thought I was buying a BRAND NEW car. It never occurred to me to check that.
First of all, I agree with those that suggest dealing up front and honestly with the dealer. They have no reason to hose you on the warranty items. I would expect that it would be the same with paint. I don't have any experience with dealers that don't work with buyers, so I may be naive. As far as the miles and lack of owner's manual and fob, here's my 2 cents: either the car was a demo or the dealer picked it up at another Chevy dealership. That's not inherently a bad thing, but it could be why there's mileage.

GP

Quick Reply: Just bought a new 2013... & probably just got screwed.