C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This has got me stumped... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Default This has got me stumped... Help!

Ok, so I finally got my car out of the garage today for a short ride and noticed that the tire pressure was low on all 4 tires. I went to a gas station and was adding air to my front left tire and noticed that the tire pressure for the right front tire on the DIC was going up. This was also the case when I added air to the rear tires. So my question is... Are the tire pressure monitors coded for left and right? I had new rims and tires done last fall and am wondering if the mechanic crossed the monitors when he installed the new rims. Anybody ever run into this? I thank you all in advance for your input.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 PM
bpGx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they are coded for each tire
Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Originally Posted by bpGx
Yes they are coded for each tire
can they be re-coded or do I have to go back to the tire shop and have them unmount tires and swap them out?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

No you don't have to unmount tires.The tire shop can clear the code in the monitor w/a magnet then recode each monitor individually.They should do this for free considering it was their mistake.good luck
Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05LemansBLue
can they be re-coded or do I have to go back to the tire shop and have them unmount tires and swap them out?
The sensors don't need to be removed. They have a tool, (electronic), to sync the sensors to the appropriate wheel location in the computer.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Blazin383
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about my Vette, but on my truck they have to reprogram the sensors when they rotate the tires or else they will read from the wrong position!

Can't really rotate the tires/wheels on the Vette, so I'm not sure how they could get to the wrong corner!
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

And once again, my friends on the forum come through!! This is why I love owning my car and being a part of this! Thanks again
Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Blazin383
Not sure about my Vette, but on my truck they have to reprogram the sensors when they rotate the tires or else they will read from the wrong position!

Can't really rotate the tires/wheels on the Vette, so I'm not sure how they could get to the wrong corner!
front to back u cant but side to side u can by taking the tire off the rim an turn it around remount opposite side
Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Tire rack is selling a TPMS tool that works on the 05 to 09 cars for $19.00 right now. Myself and others with Vets in that year range have all ordered one, and is killer deal since it even comes with the rechargeable battery (batteries alone would cost you that much). What is nice about the tool is if the TPMS system does wig out during a drained battery, you can relearn the tpms's to the car to fix the problem

Order one, and you will be able to reset the TPMS any time you want.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=177

As for resetting the TPMS's, put the car in ACC mode, put the FOB by the shifter and press both lock and unlock at the same time. The car will honk once and the dash will tell you that the TPMS system is in relearn mode.

Set the tool to 05 Vet in the relearn mode, and starting with the driver front tire, hit the center button on the tool with it next to the tire at the valve steam, it will trigger the TPMS to send a signal and when the car learns that TPMS, the car will honk once.

Do the passengers tire next (get the car to honk via the tool by hitting the center button again with the tool next to the tire at the valve location), then the passengers rear tire next (get the car to honk via the tool), then when you do get the car to relearn the drivers rear tire TPMS last, the car will honk twice to tell you your done.

And again, the tool is being discounted huge since it does not work for 2010 vets onward. Not only will the tool reset the Tpms system, but the tool can also be used to clone TPMS as well (read if you wanted to set up a second set of tires TPMS to match the first set of TPMS on the car now.)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
front to back u cant but side to side u can by taking the tire off the rim an turn it around remount opposite side
You don't have to take it off the rim ... just move driver's side to passenger's side, and vice versa.

That's true at least for the OE GY Super Car tires, and the Michelin Super Sports I have now. They only have an inside and outside, but are not unidirectiional. The tires on my C5 WERE unidirectional and could not be rotated at all without removing it from the rim, and it's possible that there are some C6 tires that are unidirectional.

There's really not much utility in doing a left to right swap. All they're doing is going in the opposite direction, and the wear patterns from side to side should be the same.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Dano523
Tire rack is selling a TPMS tool that works on the 05 to 09 cars for $19.00 right now. Myself and others with Vets in that year range have all ordered one, and is killer deal since it even comes with the rechargeable battery (batteries alone would cost you that much). What is nice about the tool is if the TPMS system does wig out during a drained battery, you can relearn the tpms's to the car to fix the problem

Order one, and you will be able to reset the TPMS any time you want.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=177

As for resetting the TPMS's, put the car in ACC mode, put the FOB by the shifter and press both lock and unlock at the same time. The car will honk once and the dash will tell you that the TPMS system is in relearn mode.

Set the tool to 05 Vet in the relearn mode, and starting with the driver front tire, hit the center button on the tool with it next to the tire at the valve steam, it will trigger the TPMS to send a signal and when the car learns that TPMS, the car will honk once.

Do the passengers tire next (get the car to honk via the tool by hitting the center button again with the tool next to the tire at the valve location), then the passengers rear tire next (get the car to honk via the tool), then when you do get the car to relearn the drivers rear tire TPMS last, the car will honk twice to tell you your done.

And again, the tool is being discounted huge since it does not work for 2010 vets onward. Not only will the tool reset the Tpms system, but the tool can also be used to clone TPMS as well (read if you wanted to set up a second set of tires TPMS to match the first set of TPMS on the car now.)
Thanks for the post!!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM
gordc
Cruising

Originally Posted by 05LemansBLue
Ok, so I finally got my car out of the garage today for a short ride and noticed that the tire pressure was low on all 4 tires. I went to a gas station and was adding air to my front left tire and noticed that the tire pressure for the right front tire on the DIC was going up. This was also the case when I added air to the rear tires. So my question is... Are the tire pressure monitors coded for left and right? I had new rims and tires done last fall and am wondering if the mechanic crossed the monitors when he installed the new rims. Anybody ever run into this? I thank you all in advance for your input.
If you go to the tire monitor relearn on the DIC and enter the horn should chirp twice, start at the lf and add or remove air till the horn chirps. Do the same for RF, RR and left rear, when done the horn should chirp twice again. Set the tires to the proper pressure and you are done.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by gordc
If you go to the tire monitor relearn on the DIC and enter the horn should chirp twice, start at the lf and add or remove air till the horn chirps. Do the same for RF, RR and left rear, when done the horn should chirp twice again. Set the tires to the proper pressure and you are done.
If he has an '05, that won't work. Has to use the tool. Just let the tire store do it...they should have done it anyway when they mounted the tires.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 AM
gordc
Cruising

Originally Posted by cclive
If he has an '05, that won't work. Has to use the tool. Just let the tire store do it...they should have done it anyway when they mounted the tires.
your right, the tire store should have done it. Just trying to save a trip back, my mistake you dont go through the dic. turn on acc press and hold lock and unlock buttons on key fob till horn chirps. As the owner of a tire store and an 05 I know it does work, I have done it on mine. But as we all know when it comes to cars and computers nothing is 100%.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by gordc

your right, the tire store should have done it. Just trying to save a trip back, my mistake you dont go through the dic. turn on acc press and hold lock and unlock buttons on key fob till horn chirps. As the owner of a tire store and an 05 I know it does work, I have done it on mine. But as we all know when it comes to cars and computers nothing is 100%.
I'm still under the impression that the '05 sensors can't be tripped by releasing air. Some very early ones could be tripped by a magnet but that went away early in the production year. I believe that almost all '05 sensors must be tripped by using a TPMS tool. Perhaps BEZ06 can chime in...he is our resident TPMS guru.

Get notified of new replies

To This has got me stumped... Help!

Quick Reply: This has got me stumped... Help!