C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Passenger side window "creaking" / sticking when going up or down

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Help! Passenger side window "creaking" / sticking when going up or down

I've been having some issues with the passenger side door not wanting to open correctly on my 2005. I started noticing that the window wasn't rolling down and was getting kind of jammed in the window seal since it's supposed to go down prior to opening

I tried re-indexing the window, which at least made the window TRY to roll down when I press the door "eject" button, but the window is having such difficulty rolling down that it often still got in the way. After a few opening/closings, it stopped trying to go down when opening at all. I assume I could re-do the indexing procedure, but clearly something else is going on.

The drivers side is fine. The passenger side sometimes rolls up/down fine, but sometimes squeaks horribly, kind of like a rubber sliding down glass "squeaky clean" sound. This is when just rolling up/down normally and not necessarily when trying to open the door. Something seems to be adding enough resistance to cause the window to go up and down quite slow.. I can pull or push on the glass with a slight amount of pressure to help it along and get it back to the normal speed, but it still squeaks or whatever you want to call that noise.

Sometimes it also won't roll down at all, which isn't so good when you're trying to open the door and the window is stuck all the way up. In those instances I can hear a click, and if I hit up/down back and forth a few times on the switch it will usually finally start moving. It seems like something is stuck inside that it's suppose to slide on

I pulled the door panel off yesterday and it looks like the previous owner installed dynamat insulation or whatever it's called, so I couldn't see a whole lot. I decided to wait and do some reading before pulling that off for a better look

So, any suggestions? I was thinking of just replacing the regulator, but given the cost of C6 regulators (why the heck are they 4x the price of C5 regulators anyways?), I decided I better do some research first.

I also found this thread that is the same issue. Unfortunately no one ever really shared what was wrong other than the dealer fixed it under warranty..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...oing-down.html

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-01-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

ttt!

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-04-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Likely the regulator cables, pretty common failure.

This discussion might help. I don't know if the ebay service is still valid though.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...regulator.html
Old 04-04-2014, 11:53 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RicK T
Likely the regulator cables, pretty common failure.

This discussion might help. I don't know if the ebay service is still valid though.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...regulator.html
Thanks, yeah, looks like a new regulator might be in my future afterall. I found auctions from march 2014 where they were still doing the rebuild service, but they are all gone now so I'm not sure what the deal is. I may pull the regulator out this weekend and have a look at it

I wonder why the heck they are so expensive for C6's? Geez.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Thanks, yeah, looks like a new regulator might be in my future afterall. I found auctions from march 2014 where they were still doing the rebuild service, but they are all gone now so I'm not sure what the deal is. I may pull the regulator out this weekend and have a look at it I wonder why the heck they are so expensive for C6's? Geez.
Well, I pulled the door panel off today and found that with the sound system the previous owner installed, a lot of insulation was installed as well. So after getting that out of the way I found the rails that the window slides up and down on were squeaking. Not sure why it was worse going down than up, but is what it is.

I put a light coating of grease on the rails and where the slider things touch the rails and ran them up and down a few times. No more resistance or noise. So, we will see. If it comes back I'll just replace the whole regulator & motor assembly but for now all is well. My door now opens properly and everything, imagine that!

(scratch that, the actuator on the drivers side door has now decided to go out, so I'm climbing in from the passenger side until a new one shows up, lol)

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-14-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Well, I pulled the door panel off today and found that with the sound system the previous owner installed, a lot of insulation was installed as well. So after getting that out of the way I found the rails that the window slides up and down on were squeaking. Not sure why it was worse going down than up, but is what it is I put a light coating of grease on the rails and where the slider things touch the rails and ran them up and down a few times. No more resistance or noise So, we will see. If it comes back I'll just replace the whole regulator & motor assembly but for now all is well. My door now opens properly and everything, imagine that!
I'm happy you seemed to have this problem fixed. I was thinking you have a 9 year old car, and it just might need some fresh grease on those rails. And, your previous owners 'insulation' might have gotten into the rail and been impeding it's movement. A drop of oil on the plastic wheel shaft that roll in the rail might also help. I've not looked inside an A6 door, but most regulators have rolling wheels...
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by bolivar
I'm happy you seemed to have this problem fixed. I was thinking you have a 9 year old car, and it just might need some fresh grease on those rails. And, your previous owners 'insulation' might have gotten into the rail and been impeding it's movement. A drop of oil on the plastic wheel shaft that roll in the rail might also help. I've not looked inside an A6 door, but most regulators have rolling wheels...
I didn't see anything rolling on the rails, but I couldn't see in it very well either. I pretty much put a light coat of grease on everything that moved that wasn't glass.. so hopefully I got everything

Still working good. Passenger door opens perfect now

Of course the drivers side just stopped opening.. the actuator isn't working properly, so I've ordered a new one (already tried swapping the switches, it's def. an issue with the actuator). In the mean time I'm climbing in from the passenger side to pull the "eject" lever to get the driver door open

Gah.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Passenger side window "creaking" / sticking when going up or down

Quick Reply: Help! Passenger side window "creaking" / sticking when going up or down