C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL on road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL on road trip!

Light came on during a 200 mile road trip. All gauges looked fine. Stopped at an O'Reiley's to get codes read: "Fuel level sensor malfunction. No suggested repair." Felt better about that, plus when I started up again the light was gone. Should I be concerned?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

These cars have tons of sensors,if it keeps coming back then there is cause for concern,I put a cold air intake on mine and about every 5 months the CEL comes on ( left and right bank lean) I just clear the code and keep going.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Nothing to worry about. The crappy fuel level sensors (both tanks) do this often...then it trips a code.

Dump in a container or two of Chevron Techron and it will probably go away for a while.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Nothing to worry about. The crappy fuel level sensors (both tanks) do this often...then it trips a code.

Dump in a container or two of Chevron Techron and it will probably go away for a while.
I put a bottle in a couple times a year.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DSOMC6

Actually, I use Chevron gas (with techron) almost exclusively... just so happens today I filled half the tank at Wally World Getting a bottle of Techron in the morning.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,029 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmbl
Actually, I use Chevron gas (with techron) almost exclusively... just so happens today I filled half the tank at Wally World Getting a bottle of Techron in the morning.

You have to remember that it's tanks, as in two of them in the vet.

The one that you fill is the driver side tank, and once its full, the fuel is sloshed over via top tube to the passenger tank to fill that one up last.

When you drive car, the passenger side tank is pumped over to the drivers tank to first burn all the fuel out of the passenger tank (down to about the 1/2 full on the gauge) then the passengers tank is the last of the fuel that the car uses.

Having said this, if you only fill the car up half way, then you are leaving the passenger tank and it sensors bone dry. Even worse, the Techron is never making it to the passenger tank to allow it to clean the sensors in that tank.

Simply, when you are going to put fuel in the car, top off the car to fill both tanks. Even better, when you are going to store the car, do so with both tanks full as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523
You have to remember that it's tanks, as in two of them in the vet.

The one that you fill is the driver side tank, and once its full, the fuel is sloshed over via top tube to the passenger tank to fill that one up last.

When you drive car, the passenger side tank is pumped over to the drivers tank to first burn all the fuel out of the passenger tank (down to about the 1/2 full on the gauge) then the passengers tank is the last of the fuel that the car uses.

Having said this, if you only fill the car up half way, then you are leaving the passenger tank and it sensors bone dry. Even worse, the Techron is never making it to the passenger tank to allow it to clean the sensors in that tank.

Simply, when you are going to put fuel in the car, top off the car to fill both tanks. Even better, when you are going to store the car, do so with both tanks full as well.
No, I didn't half-fill, I only needed 1/2 to get to full. I did know about the 2 tanks but was not familiar with how they emptied or filled.

Get notified of new replies

To CEL on road trip!

Quick Reply: CEL on road trip!