C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 Ceramic Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM
jmk
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 427 Ceramic Brake Pads

Hi All,

I've been searching all over in this forum and over at CAC and cannot find any part numbers for the ceramic pads I'm looking for. I'm looking to replace my stock pads with ceramic pads and save my paint (not to mention my back!). I'm looking for the GM pads, but even at AC Delco, they don't have a ceramic pad listed (they have a multi-piece semi-metallic pad). I understand that some of you have opted for a GM ceramic pad for the 427. Would you be willing to share a part number that will help me land in the right place?

Thank you for any help you may provide -
Joe

Last edited by jmk; 03-31-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: 1st sentence clarity
Old 03-31-2014, 03:56 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I noticed that too, seems G M is selling the Hawks brand tab if you want ceramics. I put the Duralast Gold ceramics on my 013 G S (same brake pads as yours). Excellent replacement ceramic pads, quiet & clean.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM
jmk
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnny3
I noticed that too, seems G M is selling the Hawks brand tab if you want ceramics. I put the Duralast Gold ceramics on my 013 G S (same brake pads as yours). Excellent replacement ceramic pads, quiet & clean.
Thank you! Yes, I understand that the 2013 GS and Z06 both fit and are basically interchangeable with the 427 stock pads. Can you tell any difference in performance between the Hawk pads and the stock 427s? Does it still have the same "enthusiasm" it had with the stock pads? Is there really that much of a difference in reducing dusting, as it looks like?

Last edited by jmk; 03-31-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: revised last sentence for readability.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

From 'Maryland Speed' I got the Hawk One Piece Ceramic Brake Pads; part # HB658Z.570 and HB659Z.570. You will read threads where folks praise and trash just about every brand and product. I went with these based on feedback from those on the Forum that had them in their 427. I am thrilled with them. The original pads on my 427 has sooooo much dust it actually took the enjoyment out of driving the car (I couldn't go 10 minutes or 10 miles without the rims being COVERED.) I do not track or race the car (if you do, you need other pads), but I do have 'spirited' runs. Brake dust is reduced well over 95%; I have not noticed any difference in performance; and I have no noise. Initially, I had some noise and I 'bedded' them in again (broke them in with a series of starts and stops---per the instructions). Maryland told me that sometimes it might take a 150 to 200 miles or so for the noise to go away, and in my case they were right on the money. Another Forum member said that if the noise does come back (which it hasn't), just 'bed' them in again---takes just minutes to do. I have some 2,500 miles on them and couldn't be happier. Another Forum member told me he had terrible noise with his after several thousand miles, but it turns out his weren't the ceramic one piece
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,203 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

You can also get them from Autozone:
Front
Rear
Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 PM
jmk
Instructor

Originally Posted by yellow427
From 'Maryland Speed' I got the Hawk One Piece Ceramic Brake Pads; part # HB658Z.570 and HB659Z.570. You will read threads where folks praise and trash just about every brand and product. I went with these based on feedback from those on the Forum that had them in their 427. I am thrilled with them. The original pads on my 427 has sooooo much dust it actually took the enjoyment out of driving the car (I couldn't go 10 minutes or 10 miles without the rims being COVERED.) I do not track or race the car (if you do, you need other pads), but I do have 'spirited' runs. Brake dust is reduced well over 95%; I have not noticed any difference in performance; and I have no noise. Initially, I had some noise and I 'bedded' them in again (broke them in with a series of starts and stops---per the instructions). Maryland told me that sometimes it might take a 150 to 200 miles or so for the noise to go away, and in my case they were right on the money. Another Forum member said that if the noise does come back (which it hasn't), just 'bed' them in again---takes just minutes to do. I have some 2,500 miles on them and couldn't be happier. Another Forum member told me he had terrible noise with his after several thousand miles, but it turns out his weren't the ceramic one piece
By the looks of your message, we have similar problems - There's so much dust that it is taking some of the pleasure out of the drive. I know as soon as I get home, I have a job to do. After about 10 minutes or a few miles, the chrome ZR-1 wheels have a film on them, along with dust behind the front wheels brake exhaust trailing all the way back to where a bunch of it winds up - just below the rear spoiler and all over the lights, until I clean it up), similar driving style (haven't tracked it and probably won't, although I do drive with spirit at times and I'm looking forward to some group activities with a couple of Corvette clubs around our area.) I'm not anxious to wind up with tickets, either and can't stand brake noise (my stock pads do not have this problem at all. Hoping that a good run-in period will keep that in check.)

Thank you very much for the part numbers and additional information. It will go a long way in helping me solve my dilemma.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,469 Likes on 791 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I used the same ones yellow427 did. Dust was no longer a problem. The ZR1 chrome wheels are a PITA to clean. The ceramic pads make the job easier.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I had the Hawk pads and hated them. Switched to Carbotech.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jmk
Hi All,

I've been searching all over in this forum and over at CAC and cannot find any part numbers for the ceramic pads I'm looking for. I'm looking to replace my stock pads with ceramic pads and save my paint (not to mention my back!). I'm looking for the GM pads, but even at AC Delco, they don't have a ceramic pad listed (they have a multi-piece semi-metallic pad). I understand that some of you have opted for a GM ceramic pad for the 427. Would you be willing to share a part number that will help me land in the right place?

Thank you for any help you may provide -
Joe
I can help you. The Carbotech 1521 compound will surpass the OEM pad all day long.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by saplumr
I had the Hawk pads and hated them. Switched to Carbotech.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 AM
jmk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
...The ZR1 chrome wheels are a PITA to clean...
You know those wheels, too!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 AM
jmk
Instructor

Is anyone familiar with NAPA's Adaptive ceramic brake pads? Their description looks interesting. Just wondering if they work as well as they look like they will. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Carbotech uses the NRS also. Below is a short press release from years ago.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com
Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
jmk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Carbotech uses the NRS also. Below is a short press release from years ago.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com
Thank you, Adam! That one picture is worth a thousand words! Very interesting way to attach a pad. I can see why it would most likely eliminate squeal and mate up with the rotor quite well, too.

I see your name around this subject quite a bit. One question I have with Carbotech pads is about use of the car. Occasionally I get the urge to drive lively, which I don't see a problem with any of the pads we're looking at. We're also looking into a couple of clubs where we can drive and show the 427 with. We might even have the opportunity to track it for a lap or two at some point. Would a lap or two at a road racing track be an issue with Carbotech 1521 pads?

Thank you!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jmk
Thank you, Adam! That one picture is worth a thousand words! Very interesting way to attach a pad. I can see why it would most likely eliminate squeal and mate up with the rotor quite well, too.

I see your name around this subject quite a bit. One question I have with Carbotech pads is about use of the car. Occasionally I get the urge to drive lively, which I don't see a problem with any of the pads we're looking at. We're also looking into a couple of clubs where we can drive and show the 427 with. We might even have the opportunity to track it for a lap or two at some point. Would a lap or two at a road racing track be an issue with Carbotech 1521 pads?

Thank you!
1-2 laps I don't see an issue if your are not pushing the car.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I used the same ones yellow427 did. Dust was no longer a problem. The ceramic pads make the job easier.
I really like my ceramic pads! So far they have been great; no noise or dust. I will not use them for any HPDE, however, as they can kill rotors,fade, etc. Seem great for the street.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
GSJoee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Adam, what does the "S" in the pad description stand for?

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Ceramic Brake Pads

Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 PM
scnhra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam the only issue I see is the Carbontech pads are expensive compared to the others listed. If I do not track it like stated above what is the major difference? I am not ******* the product I really would like to know why I should pay more. I have no problem doing that for a superior product.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by scnhra
Adam the only issue I see is the Carbontech pads are expensive compared to the others listed. If I do not track it like stated above what is the major difference? I am not ******* the product I really would like to know why I should pay more. I have no problem doing that for a superior product.
The 1521 is just not a ceramic pad. The 1521 is ceramic based compound made of Kevlar and Carbon that is a 100% non corrosive will not harm your wheels or paint.

Carbotech Performance Brakes™, the world leader in Ceramic friction materials™. It was over eight years ago that Carbotech started building brake pads out of Ceramic, Kevlar, and Carbon for street, autocross and racing applications. Carbotech is the only brake pad manufacturer in the world with a complete line of Ceramic compounds for street, autocross, and track use. Carbotech-Ceramic™ compounds are known for their unsurpassed release & modulation, while maintaining very consistent torque control characteristics. Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust, that’s something that has been unmatched by any other brake pad in the industry.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by GSJoee
Hey Adam, what does the "S" in the pad description stand for?
Single piece pad AKA 1 piece design.

Quick Reply: 427 Ceramic Brake Pads