C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun visor hinge repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Sun visor hinge repair

No real drama here, but I thought I'd pass along a tip that worked for me.

Like so many, one of the two hinges on the door that covers my driver's side mirror on my '06 coupe broke. (It seemed so odd to me, I rarely use the mirror.) I searched this site for replacement/repair options. I was disappointed that the mirror/door assembly wasn't available as a part, and that as near as I could tell there didn't seem to be any viable way to deal with it other than spending $100-$200 on a completely new visor. (I did learn from that search that lubricating the hinges is likely to prevent breaks. I put some silicone spray on the two passenger side hinges, and after I worked it in they went from squeaky and rough to smooth and quiet, so I'm hoping that side is now "safe.")

I'm not sure if all breaks are similar to mine, but the hinge that was broken had all the plastic parts still there. While the door was loose from the mirror base, the tiny broken plastic part on each side of the hinge was still supported by the hinge itself. The surface area of the two broken sides was really, really small, about the size of the head of a straight pin -- and once it is broken it seemed to me to be impossible to glue it back together and have it actually hold.

The other day I was in a hardware store, and I found a specialized kind of "crazy glue" which is designed especially for all types of plastic. Unlike normal crazy glue, there are two steps to using it -- you first rub some"activator" on the location you want to glue and then quickly dab on the glue itself. It's called "Loctite Plastics Bonding System."

I took my roof off for convenient access, I put some Scotch Tape on the surrounding area to hopefully keep it free of glue (you certainly don't want to make the mistake of gluing together parts of the assembly that will prevent it from hinging) and carefully rubbed on the activator and then the smallest drop of glue on each broken side of the hinge. I held it together for 30 seconds, and was almost stunned to see it hold.

I left it overnight to "cure" (I don't really know if these types of glues really need to cure, but what the hell) and this morning it was as solid as new. Still rough and squeaking though, (implying that it was like new) so I sprayed some silicone on this hinge too.

Now it's holding, and working smoothly -- perhaps the problem is permanently solved.

I recognize that this whole post might be seen as kind of dumb -- "Some plastic broke -- I know . . . I'll glue it! Genius!" -- but nevertheless it might save someone shaky on confidence that gluing such a small stressed area might work.

I hope it continues to hold, and hope that this specialized glue thought might also help someone else stuck between the discomfort of a floppy mirror door and an outrageously priced replacement sun visor.

Last edited by V8lust; 03-23-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It's good that you were able to glue that little piece of plastic back in place.
There is a replacement cover available on flea bay for $39.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-13-Corvette-C6-Sun-Visor-Vanity-Mirror-Cover-Replacement-Lid-NEW/111297572475?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20466%26meid%3D5693741632540100559%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D9138%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D141173298027
also included in the ad, is the video to show how to install.

good luck with the repair.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 03-23-2014 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Vetteman1980 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:01 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both (left and right) on my '05 broke at the plastic hinge. The driver's side was replaced under GMPP warranty. The passenger's side I repaired using a section cut from a steel nail of correct diameter and I epoxied the nail in place after using my Dremel tool to carve out a shallow channel for the nail section fit into. Now I keep the hinges lubricated.

I did not know you could buy the cover separately on the above website.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:04 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
Both (left and right) on my '05 broke at the plastic hinge. The driver's side was replaced under GMPP warranty. The passenger's side I repaired using a section cut from a steel nail of correct diameter and I epoxied the nail in place after using my Dremel tool to carve out a shallow channel for the nail section fit into. Now I keep the hinges lubricated.

I did not know you could buy the cover separately on the above website.
I wish I would of know before replacing 2 of my sunvisors

$40.00 is alot better than $200.00 for the pr
Old 03-23-2014, 03:07 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. The driver's side had the Home Link transmitter, but after replacement it now has the Lear transmitter. So the driver's side is a little expensive. Glad I got GMPP to reimburse me.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:33 PM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
It's good that you were able to glue that little piece of plastic back in place.
05 13 Corvette C6 Sun Visor Vanity Mirror Cover Replacement Lid New | eBay

I was unaware of that option. I probably would have bit the bullet and bought one ($40.00 for a simple piece of plastic!) had I been aware -- but for now I think I'm good.

It's nice to know that there's a fall-back if someone wants to try the glue and it fails. My broken mirror cover had still been stable enough to keep the mirror light switch pushed off, and I was fearful that I'd ruin that and have to buy a new visor (with the Homelink) if I made things worse.

(I don't have Calemaster's nerve to take a Dremel to the problem!)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
Now I keep the hinges lubricated.
This is the key....if they are not lubricated and then a woman opens the mirror for the first time in 6 months...snap!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. Does anyone know if that light in the vanity mirror will shut off by itself or will it stay on and kill the battery?
Jeff
Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Justasheet
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. Does anyone know if that light in the vanity mirror will shut off by itself or will it stay on and kill the battery?
Jeff
I think it will kill the battery because it is powered all the time and not controlled by the BCM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I think it will kill the battery because it is powered all the time and not controlled by the BCM.
Thanks. I may have killed 2 issues with one stone here.
Jeff
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Justasheet
Jeff
That worried me this evening, so I went out and opened the driver's sun visor mirror cover, the mirror lights came on.

I closed the main door with the cover still open and the lights still on, the car locked itself after ten (?) seconds, and all the interior lights went out except the mirror lights.

When I checked about fifteen minutes later, the mirror lights had gone out. So it looks like they are indeed on the timer, which I think is ten minutes even though my manual says twenty IIRC.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

That's good to know...that BCM is more omnipresent than previously thought...
Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I need to replace both of mine too. They broke about three years ago so I just used some Velcro and closed 'em up.
What is the website for the $40 replacements?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I need to replace both of mine too. They broke about three years ago so I just used some Velcro and closed 'em up.
What is the website for the $40 replacements?

Glad I saw this thread, just bought one
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow. someone finally made an aftermarket part for this. genius.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That's good to know...that BCM is more omnipresent than previously thought...
Isn't it really called the "HAL 9000", or something like that?

Never turn your back on an electron...
Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 AM
daveholl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8lust
No real drama here, but I thought I'd pass along a tip that worked for me.

Like so many, one of the two hinges on the door that covers my driver's side mirror on my '06 coupe broke. (It seemed so odd to me, I rarely use the mirror.) I searched this site for replacement/repair options. I was disappointed that the mirror/door assembly wasn't available as a part, and that as near as I could tell there didn't seem to be any viable way to deal with it other than spending $100-$200 on a completely new visor. (I did learn from that search that lubricating the hinges is likely to prevent breaks. I put some silicone spray on the two passenger side hinges, and after I worked it in they went from squeaky and rough to smooth and quiet, so I'm hoping that side is now "safe.")

I'm not sure if all breaks are similar to mine, but the hinge that was broken had all the plastic parts still there. While the door was loose from the mirror base, the tiny broken plastic part on each side of the hinge was still supported by the hinge itself. The surface area of the two broken sides was really, really small, about the size of the head of a straight pin -- and once it is broken it seemed to me to be impossible to glue it back together and have it actually hold.

The other day I was in a hardware store, and I found a specialized kind of "crazy glue" which is designed especially for all types of plastic. Unlike normal crazy glue, there are two steps to using it -- you first rub some"activator" on the location you want to glue and then quickly dab on the glue itself. It's called "Loctite Plastics Bonding System."

I took my roof off for convenient access, I put some Scotch Tape on the surrounding area to hopefully keep it free of glue (you certainly don't want to make the mistake of gluing together parts of the assembly that will prevent it from hinging) and carefully rubbed on the activator and then the smallest drop of glue on each broken side of the hinge. I held it together for 30 seconds, and was almost stunned to see it hold.

I left it overnight to "cure" (I don't really know if these types of glues really need to cure, but what the hell) and this morning it was as solid as new. Still rough and squeaking though, (implying that it was like new) so I sprayed some silicone on this hinge too.

Now it's holding, and working smoothly -- perhaps the problem is permanently solved.

I recognize that this whole post might be seen as kind of dumb -- "Some plastic broke -- I know . . . I'll glue it! Genius!" -- but nevertheless it might save someone shaky on confidence that gluing such a small stressed area might work.

I hope it continues to hold, and hope that this specialized glue thought might also help someone else stuck between the discomfort of a floppy mirror door and an outrageously priced replacement sun visor.

V8Lust,
Thanks for the post. Called my attention to my creaking, stiff vanity mirror doors. Lubed with a small dab of synthetic grease. Smooth.
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Sun visor hinge repair

Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Is WD-40 alright to use on the hinges?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Both of mine broke a few years ago. Real cheap design.My side(driver's) was only opened a couple of times but still broke. The dealer replaced both visors and they haven't been opened since. The wife has strict orders not to touch!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
Is WD-40 alright to use on the hinges?
Sure, I used a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil on the tip of a toothpick.

Quick Reply: Sun visor hinge repair