C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the GS ready for the season

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Getting the GS ready for the season...back from the paint polishing

Hello Everyone,

I bought my new2me 2010 GS in CRM on 15 Dec 2013. Now it is time to get it ready for the season.
14 April it goes in for wet sanding and polishing
21 April it get a 3M Ultra Clear body armor

Before that happens it will receive JWD foam seat repairs
New Brake Ducts with spindle cooling ducts
new Track Brake Pads, Carbotech XP12's and front and 10's for the rear.
Lowering it as low as it will go on the factory lowering bolts.

There by making my new2me GS season ready.
Watkins Glen here I come 28 April.

Now who ever is responsible for getting Ole man Winter out of here, you better get on the job. He's still hanging around here in Upstate NY.

Last edited by Boxcar; 04-20-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great effort in getting season ready! ...and ol man winter is hanging around everywhere it seems! We're looking at a possibility of snow next Tuesday in NC! Who-da thought!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 PM
sleepy88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowering it??? You must not have any bumps around there, at stock height I have to be very carful going anywhere that may not be perfectly flat
Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

We got snow on Thursday, calling for it Saturday and Sunday, then it's going to be low 20's till Thursday.

Lowering it?? Got to when you go tracking at the Glen. And so far, I've determined that Arsenal Street is off limits!! Beauty of the C6, you can raise and lower it in 30 minutes.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:52 PM
tealex
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I think if you adjust your ride height in any way you have to do an alignment (again).
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

With the car being 5'ish years old, may want to think about a total fluid power flush and change if such has not been done in the last year or two.

On my brakes/radiator/trans and diff fluids, I change these out every other years, while the motor get a fresh change for the season when it time to pull it out of storage for the year.

As for the clutch fluid, that gets the ranger method maintenance and it gets changed when the fluid is no longer clear instead (more than a couple time during the season to keep it clear).

As for lowering, if you can get your hands on a set of scales to corner balance the car, go for it, Hence just slamming the car without checking the corner balance to keep in in check my do more track handling harm, then good.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Dano523
With the car being 5'ish years old, may want to think about a total fluid power flush and change if such has not been done in the last year or two.

On my brakes/radiator/trans and diff fluids, I change these out every other years, while the motor get a fresh change for the season when it time to pull it out of storage for the year.

As for the clutch fluid, that gets the ranger method maintenance and it gets changed when the fluid is no longer clear instead (more than a couple time during the season to keep it clear).

As for lowering, if you can get your hands on a set of scales to corner balance the car, go for it, Hence just slamming the car without checking the corner balance to keep in in check my do more track handling harm, then good.

I'm hoping to get to #1 Speed for the four corner balance/lowering. Should have been clearer.

Thanks for the heads up on the other fluids. The car has 9775 miles on it which is not much. All while being owned by the previous owner. This will be the car's first track session and mine as well in this car. I tracked my C4, and I know this car is huge step up. None the less, I will take a look at the those fluids. I turn my own wrenches so I have to eat my elephant one bite at a time.

But, I can report that the rear brake ducts, new SS brake lines, new Carbotech XP 10 are installed. I question I have is:

When bleeding the GS/Z06 calipers; is there a proper way to bleed them due the fact they have two bleeders? I bleed the outside ones first, then the inside one. The peddle feels real firm. If I wrong please inform, well I guess I could search the forum...D'oh!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar

I'm hoping to get to #1 Speed for the four corner balance/lowering. Should have been clearer.

Thanks for the heads up on the other fluids. The car has 9775 miles on it which is not much. All while being owned by the previous owner. This will be the car's first track session and mine as well in this car. I tracked my C4, and I know this car is huge step up. None the less, I will take a look at the those fluids. I turn my own wrenches so I have to eat my elephant one bite at a time.

But, I can report that the rear brake ducts, new SS brake lines, new Carbotech XP 10 are installed. I question I have is:

When bleeding the GS/Z06 calipers; is there a proper way to bleed them due the fact they have two bleeders? I bleed the outside ones first, then the inside one. The peddle feels real firm. If I wrong please inform, well I guess I could search the forum...D'oh!

Fluids need to be changed at this point, due to age of the fluids and not mileage. In the case of the brake/clutch fluid, it's due to them picking up moisture in the fluid over time, which just cause compression and lower boiling point problems. As for the trans and diff, its the new parts mating in loose materials in the fluid that you are trying to get out, before you start to push the car hard.

Power bleed the brakes. This causes enough cavitation of the fluid being forced through the lines to get any loose rubber debris out with the old fluid, while not having to worry about air getting back into the lines since the reservoir tank is being kept full of fluid. As for while side of the caliper to bleed out first, side that has the line in first (inside) to get the air out of it first, then the outside last. And power bleed starting at the farthest point from the master cylinder, with the caliper nearest the master cylinder the last.

The engine, trans and diff fluid changes (Mobil 1 synthetic across the board) are a snap when you have the car up doing the brakes. As for the radiator fluid flush and fluid change, just make sure to get some miles on the car before you track it to final burp the system of any small air pockets still remaining in the system.

Truth is, the only thing that is a major PITA is doing a power flush to the clutch line, since getting to the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder will have your fun meter pretty much pegged start to finish. You may luck out and be able to get to the bleeder valve without having to pull the tunnel cover, but don't bank on it.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey..Hey...
Quick Update, new SS brake lines, new pads, new cooling duct work , and complete brake system flush done..and done.
Dano, roger that on the bleeding, I have a very nice firm peddle. Love it! I've bled brakes many time over, just never on that has two bleeds. In the words of Spak..."Logic does dictate procedure".

Next, the clutch juice, it is black and is screaming "change me"

I believe I'll waite untill I return from the track to complete all fluid examinations and or changes.

I must admit, at 53 years old, I still love turning my own wrenchs...until the next morning.

Callling for rain and snow in my neck of the woods. I'm going to place a bet....it will be cold tires at the Glen this April.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Boxcar; 04-04-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar
Hello Everyone,

I bought my new2me 2010 GS in CRM on 15 Dec 2013. Now it is time to get it ready for the season.
14 April it goes in for wet sanding and polishing
21 April it get a 3M Ultra Clear body armor

Before that happens it will receive JWD foam seat repairs
New Brake Ducts with spindle cooling ducts
new Track Brake Pads, Carbotech XP12's and front and 10's for the rear.
Lowering it as low as it will go on the factory lowering bolts.

There by making my new2me GS season ready.
Watkins Glen here I come 28 April.

Now who ever is responsible for getting Ole man Winter out of here, you better get on the job. He's still hanging around here in Upstate NY.
Exciting things to look forward to! BTW - who is the organizer for the Glen in April?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by willhaveC6
Exciting things to look forward to! BTW - who is the organizer for the Glen in April?
NASA NE: http://www.nasanortheast.com/

Come on....you know you want to...

I always have a great time.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey Dano,

What is up with bleeding the throw out bearing? Holly Cow, that is one serious under taking. I vaccumed the resiviour clean, filled with new fluid. That will have to do until next winter's tear down and inspection. However at that point I'll do a new throw out bearing with the 4 ft. speed bleeder line. Go in once and upgrade it so it can be bled easily in the future.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Update April 16th

Ok, where are we?

The GS has been turned into my paint guy to remove orange peel and polish the GS.

Next Monday it goes in for 3M body armor vinyl application.

I have purchased Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires to be mounted on my GS wheels for the track.

Purchased from Corvette Mods a set of Chrome Z06 Style Wheels, (18x9.5F and 19x12R), show and shine for the street with Michelin Pilot Sports mounted on them. It was tough deciding between the 5-Spoke and the Spider. See Pic.

I have also ordered some Lloyds Cashmere Floor Mats and Cargo mat with GS embroidery.

It will be nice once I get this all put together. Sorry no pictures until Boxcar-7 (the car's name) has been polished and ready to debut.

In the words of Paul Harvey....."Good Day"
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Snowing here...
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Snowing here...
Snowed here yesterday, cold today, but getting warmer

here's to warmer weather to you and your mates in MI.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Stopped by the paint shop to check in on Boxcar-7 (the car's Name)

Should have it done by Friday!!!!!!!

Couldn't help myself...had to post.

Stay tuned to same Bat Channel...same Bat Time.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Boxcar; 04-16-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default And the work continues

As of this Friday Morning...
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Getting the GS ready for the season

Old 04-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Does the wet sanding permanently ruin your paint? I'm asking because what happens when the wax and sealant start wearing off? Is the original paint ruined?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

After they make a mess of it take it to Earl Scheib for a paint job......
Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

First and fore most; there will be nothing ruined the on the car.

Seconded, to Mr. Nubain, once it is re-polished you simply wash and wax as normal. Hand wash, wax using microfiber towels. Good to go

Stay tuned, should get it back today, and I will post up pictures.

I had this process done to my C4, and it was amazing in the difference of shine quality.

Forgot: I picked up my Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires yesterday and new DBA Rotors to go with the Carbotech pads. will hopefully get the tires mounted Monday after it comes home from vinyl shop.

Last edited by Boxcar; 04-20-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting the GS ready for the season