C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum Newbie looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:03 PM
swajets
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forum Newbie looking to buy

I am new to this forum. We are looking to buy a newer Vette, (sold the old 87). We have around 35K or less, haven't decided coupe or roadster, auto or 6 spd. Would appreciate input on models, options etc.

Retired pilot, like a little zip but don't need a Z06. Will be used for long trips cruising the country, so something that rides better than our 87 (a dump truck rides better than an 87 so........)

Any input appreciated.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Here's my take...

When it comes to Corvettes, each generation, and each year, brings new improvements.

Buy the latest model year you can afford, in the best possible condition you can find, and you can't go wrong!

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,989 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

2010 and up Grand Sport with Heritage package, 6M with hand built side oiler engine.....3LT......you will not be disappointed.....
Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Shop around- you'll find a lot in that price range used, and might be able to find a few new ones too in dealer inventory (there are several dealers here on site that you can go through if you want to look at their inventory).

- Coupe, definitely (you can remove the top so it's like having a convertible without the terrible convertible top [sorry, I'm biased ]).
- If you don't want a Z06 maybe have a look at the '10-'13 Grand Sport models, they've got a few suspension upgrades, dry sump oil system, and a fatter body (sexy looking). You can get the Magnetic Ride option on year models '11 and after (Its code is F55, so if you hear someone mention that, they're talking about that). I personally wouldn't, but again that's me.
- Retired pilot, you probably wouldn't be satisfied with anything other than a manual.. But if you want the easy route head with an automatic. The A6 will save you some pain in traffic jams but the M6 (A6 = automatic 6spd, M6 = manual 6spd) will give you more joy when cruising through the country in my opinion.
- 3LT option package is the best (gives you the HUD and the Bose sound system).
- NPP Exhaust is entirely up to you, I dropped mine in favor of an aftermarket system but a lot of people here love their NPP. The NPP exhaust has baffles that open over 3,500rpm so you get a quiet sound while driving around the neighborhood and when you decide to get on it the exhaust opens up and lets you know it's right there with you.

The picture under my name is mine, it's a 2010 GS 3LT Heritage Package (click the 2010 Chevrolet Corvette that's underlined above it to see the details and get more photos if you're interested).. That's back when she was bone stock. Couldn't say anything bad about it at all.

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 03-21-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Sounds to me like you need to decide whether you want a coupe or a vert, an auto or a 6 speed, then color and interior, then go from there. As stated above, buy the newest you can afford.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by swajets
I am new to this forum. We are looking to buy a newer Vette, (sold the old 87). We have around 35K or less, haven't decided coupe or roadster, auto or 6 spd. Would appreciate input on models, options etc.

Retired pilot, like a little zip but don't need a Z06. Will be used for long trips cruising the country, so something that rides better than our 87 (a dump truck rides better than an 87 so........)

Any input appreciated.
Am also a pilot, you have to get the HUD no matter what (3LT option) and will want the dual-mode exhaust to provide the noise to replace that loud straight-out aircraft exhaust and propellor noise (or jet engine noise). 08 or later (improved trans/shifter and steering plus LS3), auto if you will be driving it in rush hour traffic a lot else manual trans. Coupe if you live up North or vert if you live down South.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

You don't know auto/man, ls2/ls3, coupe/vert, wide body/narrow? make those decisions and report back.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 PM
swajets
Intermediate

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
You don't know auto/man, ls2/ls3, coupe/vert, wide body/narrow? make those decisions and report back.
Thank you for your superb input. I'll "report" back at my leisure.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:45 PM
swajets
Intermediate

Originally Posted by at7000ft
Am also a pilot, you have to get the HUD no matter what (3LT option) and will want the dual-mode exhaust to provide the noise to replace that loud straight-out aircraft exhaust and propellor noise (or jet engine noise). 08 or later (improved trans/shifter and steering plus LS3), auto if you will be driving it in rush hour traffic a lot else manual trans. Coupe if you live up North or vert if you live down South.
Thank you, that is great info. Now focused on 08 with those options. I appreciate your time.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Don't be fooled....lOL. The coupe and its removable top is no substitute for the real deal vert. Think real hard on that aspect of your decision. Because if you get a coupe and really want a vert....every time you pull up next to real convertible you may wind up kicking yourself in the bootie.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:08 PM
corvettejack
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HI, I have an 08 coup which I like the look alot more than the " RAG TOP" also very easy to remove top so you get the best of both worlds I bought mine last April for $32,500. had 14,000 mls. showroom condition also had some mods headers, gears, C.A.I., Stall converter these are this I like although really do not add value but est. cost 3K-5K also I love 6 speed auto. paddle shift again the best of both worlds and your leg does,nt get tired hope this info helps and you don,t have report back. Jack
Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

you have a long ways to go in deciding what you want

I'm not in your age bracket but my car is a daily driver. If you're road tripping, then like me, I like creature comforts. I'd go 3LT for the HUD and it's other good bells/whistles you get. I wanted Bluetooth which only comes in 2009 and above FYI. I like rowing my gears and I like Z06 power/handling but also like the targa roof. I added a few suspension bits and performance bits and I have the best of both worlds, phenomenal power/handling, and a removable roof. I hate verts so there ya go, 3LT 6 speed, and have fun.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM
swajets
Intermediate

Originally Posted by windyC6
Don't be fooled....lOL. The coupe and its removable top is no substitute for the real deal vert. Think real hard on that aspect of your decision. Because if you get a coupe and really want a vert....every time you pull up next to real convertible you may wind up kicking yourself in the bootie.
Thanks windyC6,

My copilot took one look at trunk on vert and said no way. I put my foot down and told her we are not buying a coupe. So....now looking for coupe..................
Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM
swajets
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corvettejack
HI, I have an 08 coup which I like the look alot more than the " RAG TOP" also very easy to remove top so you get the best of both worlds I bought mine last April for $32,500. had 14,000 mls. showroom condition also had some mods headers, gears, C.A.I., Stall converter these are this I like although really do not add value but est. cost 3K-5K also I love 6 speed auto. paddle shift again the best of both worlds and your leg does,nt get tired hope this info helps and you don,t have report back. Jack
Thanks corvettejack,
Looks like we've narrowed it down to just exactly what you bought. 08 with a these options and a little "tune" to it! Thanks for the input.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 PM
swajets
Intermediate

Thank you to all members. Looks like we are going to look for the best 08 or 09 coupe we can find.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Try this. Owned by a little 70 year old man. Highway miles and a show car. Kinda quick too!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nvertible.html

Elmer
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
swajets
Intermediate

Originally Posted by at7000ft
Thank you sir, great info. I think we are going with an 08/09 with that equipment. My copilot likes the trunk room on the coupe and we'll be traveling all over so looks like best option. We love the color of your car and your car and you are right about the HUD, even though (hopefully) I wont be doing CATlll/A approaches in the fog with it!!

Get notified of new replies

To Forum Newbie looking to buy

Old 03-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If you have 35K to spend you'll find a lot newer C6's than an 08 & 09. That's a lot to pay for a car 5 & 6 years old. Brand new 13's are going for high 30's right now. We all over-value our cars, especially the LS3 non-GS crowd.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
Brand new 13's are going for high 30's right now.
Really? Where? I have not seen that.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by swajets
Thank you to all members. Looks like we are going to look for the best 08 or 09 coupe we can find.

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
If you have 35K to spend you'll find a lot newer C6's than an 08 & 09. That's a lot to pay for a car 5 & 6 years old. Brand new 13's are going for high 30's right now. We all over-value our cars, especially the LS3 non-GS crowd.
I really don't know why you'd limit yourself to an '08/'09???

I agree with Mr.Nubain, with $35k, you should be able to buy a 2012 base 'vette, in excellent condition from a dealer. Or a 2011, low mileage Grand Sport.

Remember in 2013, and possibly 2012 as well, (I'm not certain about 2012), you can get a Nav and HUD in a 2LT, if you don't need the other features in a 3LT.

Here's a screenshot from Kelly Blue Book, based on a dealer sales of base 2012 Corvettes, in excellent condition with 25,000 miles and 3LT packages. The $32k to $36k range gives you many possibilities.

What ever you choose, good luck!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Forum Newbie looking to buy