C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1-4 Shift eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Burgie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1-4 Shift eliminator

Has anyone with the C6 experienced any negative results from putting in the 1-4 CAGS shift eliminator on their transmission? Have been considering getting rid of the annoying 1-4 however don't want to do anything that may void warranty or cause future problems with drive train or computer?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Every one has one. Easy to install. I had one that stopped working one time, on taking it apart there was no resistor inside. I have had them on 4-5 cars. I even had a dealer put one on.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

The CAGS eliminator dongle that's out there is an easy install that's just as easily removable for a back to stock option. It won't void your warranty (AFAIK) and won't cause any problems with the drive train or computer. All it does is stop the solenoid from activating when under the threshold for CAGS. Easy on, easy off.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 334 Posts

No problems at all....probably the first mod the majority of MN6 owners have done. Mine's been in since new in '05 & been working fine. I think I got mine from Corvette Central, but product from any of the reputable Forum vendors would be fine.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Burgie
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave S
No problems at all....probably the first mod the majority of MN6 owners have done. Mine's been in since new in '05 & been working fine. I think I got mine from Corvette Central, but product from any of the reputable Forum vendors would be fine.
Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated. I'll be putting one on shortly as I really don't care to be forced to shift to fourth when I may be needing more acceleration than can be delivered in 4th at 1K rpm.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I changed out the fuse with the modified one in 5 mins. has always worked great, no problems, highly recommended !.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 AM
xgto
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
I changed out the fuse with the modified one in 5 mins. has always worked great, no problems, highly recommended !.
I just did a standard Diablo Trinity tune on my 06 and it shuts it off completely in the tune program.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Burgie
Pro

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
What fuse? I didn't see anything mentioned about changing out a fuse???
Old 03-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I did it via an ECU tune and I've forgotten it even exists

The CAGS delete is fine long term
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had it on my old Vette and seamless and problem free..

anyone know if the ZR1 has this skip or did they realize it wasn't bought for fuel economy lol
Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgie
What fuse? I didn't see anything mentioned about changing out a fuse???
I bought a modified fuse online ( you will have to do a search for it) it's a blown fuse with a resister in it & it's located in the fuse box next to the engine, the directions that came with it shows which fuse to change. remove fuse box cover, pull fuse, place new fuse, replace cover....DONE DEAL !! no error lights, works great can be reverted back to stock at anytime...
Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by -=ICE=-

anyone know if the ZR1 has this skip or did they realize it wasn't bought for fuel economy lol
yes, regrettably ZR1s get that meddling nanny feature.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
yes, regrettably ZR1s get that meddling nanny feature.
well guess i found my first minor mod needed LOL
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Every model comes with the CAGS mechanism. It's designed for fuel economy when puttering about in town (not as much of a "nanny" as most people call it, since it only actually kicks in when you're driving relatively slowly/calmly).

The modified fuse isn't actually blown- it's modified with a specific resistor and most come with a small LED light to indicate both that the special fuse is activated, and which fuse it actually is (when or if you go to replace it back to stock later). With the modified fuse there are mixed results, some people get a check light some don't I've seen. The thing about the modified fuse is that it requires you to access the fuse box in the engine compartment, not the grid in your glove box. This is just one option and you do not have to pull or otherwise modify fuses for any of the other options.

The CAGS delete dongle I mentioned earlier is an inline dongle that you plug into the car transmission. The downfall to the CAGS dongle is having to get up under the car. Otherwise, it (like the fuse) is 100% removable to get back to stock, and doesn't trip any car check indicators.

I personally would choose the CAGS delete just because I don't like messing with my fuse box (even though in this event it's actually 100% safe, I've not heard of any problems stemming from the modified fuse). I'm just a scaredy-cat like that and knowing me I'd probably wind up losing the fuse if I ever wanted to replace it

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 03-20-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't consider myself an aggressive driver but even so, rarely found the 1-4 shift light coming on. I did change out the fuse two summers ago on our '05 and everything has worked fine since then. When I need a nanny to drive for me, I'll turn in my driver's license.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Capt
Racer

In all the years I've had the car the skip shift has only interfered with shifting about 10 times not that big of a deal really. Twice a year
Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

You can buy CAGS eliminator fuse from many of the on line vendors. I got one through corvette mods for about 15 or 20 bucks. It's a simple fuse replacement. Don't quote me but I think its fuse #10. Took less than 5 minutes to install and is in about 2 years with no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To 1-4 Shift eliminator

Quick Reply: 1-4 Shift eliminator