C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation on what to do with $2,000...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:14 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Headers with a tune is your number 1 bang for the buck. If you want performance, buying a catback or CAI is a waste.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Before you do anything, look the tires over very carefully. If the tires have been on the car for a while they may be cracking or beginning to dry rot. New tires will cost you $1500-$1700 if you go with runflats. Less if you don't but that's a whole 'nother conversation.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 PM
ammtzmtz
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
I went with PFADT which is considered the best but they are currently out of business (long side story dig around the forums).

I left the NPP muffler as the only remaining part of the exhaust. The long tube headers go from the motor back all the way to the mufflers. Car ran at the track 7.7 @ 96mph and 11.7 @ 121mph with this setup alone. Since your'e an LS2, an intake would do wonders as well, not so much on LS3.

How does it sound? Listen for yourself...

It's "quiet" in the car unless you get on it but from the outside it's always somewhat loud.

Holy exhaust!!! That sounds sooooo AWESOME! With PFADT no longer available, what's the recommendation on brand of headers?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I reworked entire stereo system the first week I owned mine...only factory remaining are rear 2 speakers...plus 2 additional subs and 2 amps... I like my music up with the roof off... It was an obvious shortcoming to me immediately. I now have shocks on order (base suspension) because I would like it firmer. Guess it comes down to what your goals are...I find the car more than powerful enough
Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 PM
ziyaad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mabryusmc
You can go in so many directions! But it boils down to performance and looks.

I also have a '05 with the z51 package and as I believe my car is more than powerful enough for me and what I ask of it.... I went the looks route. I added side skirts, zr1 spoiler, front splitter, rear valance, wheels, and exhaust.

It completely transformed my car into something that looks amazing. I get compliments on it every time I drive it. I love what I did I my car but to each their own.

$2k would get you a good exhaust set up. You could also look into a tune?

Either way, make the car YOURS!
Pictures please.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
If you always live hand to mouth you will never have anything really nice. And you don't ever INVEST in a car. Investments are something that give back more than you put in. Until you spend a LOT more than $2K you will never get back from a car what it cost.

Learn to live within your means and let other people use your excess and they will pay you rather than you always paying them. If you follow this advice you will never have to ask what is the best way to spend $2K. $2K will be pocket change you can spend on anything that strikes your fancy.
That is good advice. This tax return I bought LT's and now a Vararam and a tune. I should've paid down debt. I just wanted my LS2 to be as fast as an LS3. Next year will pay off student loans.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 PM
SnipeUout
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My advice is basically my personal strategy and opinion so take it for what its worth.

First, make sure you car is 100%, modding a car with full exhaust and a tune is pointless if your tires are worn, shocks are blown and clutch (or clutch packs) are worn out, and your car needs a lot of maintenance.

Second, determine what your goal is for your car. Are you going to take it to HPDE, autocross, drag racing or just spirited pulls. After you have determined that find the weakest part and start there.

If your into corners, get some HPDE under your belt, 2 grand will get you some seat time maybe even with an instructor. If you want to drag race, well start going to the track and get seat time. If you cant get 400hp to hook up now what makes you think adding more HP is going to help.

So basically ask your self two things. Do I know my limits and the cars limits. If you cant answer those questions, maybe its better to figure out the answer/s before wasting money.

Ill be the first to admit, I don't know either.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 AM
MPA
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought an '06 and bought these things for it. Probably not a big performance change, but just a few small changes.

SLP LoudMouth II cat-back for some exhaust sound
Lloyds Mats
JVC KW-NSX700 DVD head unit since I want to control the music on my phone & Pandora from the head unit via bluetooth.

I love the car - I'll definitely have it for a long time, so these things should hold me over while I get some seat time doing some track days and some drag racing.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 AM
bpGx
Racer

Please don't even think about buying cold air intake it doesn't do nothing for your car
Gent nice wheels 19"f 20"r
Old 03-18-2014, 01:03 AM
GEP
Intermediate

Take a good performance driving class . That's the best bang for your buck . You'll be amazed at how much better your "car" performs and how much more fun it is to drive . This will also give you a better idea of what upgrades "really" improve your performance and enjoyment .
GEP
Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 AM
gsxrguy84
Racer

IMO long tubes and upgrade to led lighting. Should be right about 2k.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 AM
ammtzmtz
Instructor

These are all great ideas and thank you everyone!!!

A few more questions because I've heard and read different things regarding tires and wheels...

What is the max size of tire width I can put on the stock 05 19/18 wheel combo?

What is the max wheel size combo I can do on the car without running into issues or having to get wide-body fenders or flares? I'd like to get wider rear tires than the current 285s

As I searched for wheels on the web, I came accross wheels I liked that said fits zo6, grand sport, 427... Does that mean they will not go on a base C6?

My apologies if these are dumb questions....
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
chevnut55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres one no one thought of. A $2k gas card!
I just blew $6k on my g/s over the winter, supercharger,body mods,extra goodies,love the mods I did but would rather be driving it.
These cars are awesome the way they are..but guess I cant talk.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Happihank
Racer

I like the sound of the girl laughing- thats better the any exhaust

Cool video
Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 PM
chevnut55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get many girls for $2k!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Happihank
I like the sound of the girl laughing- thats better the any exhaust

Cool video

That'd be the gf...and a car guru to boot. She's an R34 fan (last gen GTR) and the current R35 but I've gotten the Vette to grow on her. She's even learning to row the gears of a manual these days.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:47 PM
ammtzmtz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ammtzmtz
These are all great ideas and thank you everyone!!!

A few more questions because I've heard and read different things regarding tires and wheels...

What is the max size of tire width I can put on the stock 05 19/18 wheel combo?

What is the max wheel size combo I can do on the car without running into issues or having to get wide-body fenders or flares? I'd like to get wider rear tires than the current 285s

As I searched for wheels on the web, I came accross wheels I liked that said fits zo6, grand sport, 427... Does that mean they will not go on a base C6?

My apologies if these are dumb questions....
Anyone have an answer to the question above?

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendation on what to do with $2,000...

Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Rivera9288
Instructor

Default C6 2005

Originally Posted by JAvery20
No 1 thing should be a tune. It wakes up the car so much regarding throttle response, turning off Torque management, and shift points (if its an auto). Not too mention some nice power. It's probably your best bang for the buck and it should run you 300-500.

We'll said as I put a tune in mine and adjusted the fly by wire and pick up a few more HP , and then I installed some Kooks long tubes and header and brought a Corsa exhaust touring version and man you want to say sleeper cell this thing is rocket , but also not an annoying loud sound that you can't hear yourself , but when you launch it the beast comes out
Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ammtzmtz
I'm a new owner of a 2005 with a Z51 package and I'm looking to do some upgrades. I'm new to the Corvette world so I thought I'd post this to get some advise on where to invest my $2,000 from folks that are familiar with this amazing vehicle. The car has only 32,000 miles so everything is in very good shape as far as normal wear and tear which leaves me undecided on where to start my mods.
Give it to me & I will do the shopping...
Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 PM
bontrager
Pro

I would go with a 390 or 410 rear end. With install you should be right around 2,000 or 2,100.

You will love the low end acceleration. If you get headers or a complete exhaust system, you WILL need a professional tune to take advantage of it. That will set you back another 400.00

Quick Reply: Recommendation on what to do with $2,000...