C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Grand Sport Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist
Default 2013 Grand Sport Windshield Replacement

Lucky me, only a few thousand miles on a nearly new 'vette, and I picked up a stone chip yesterday.

I called my insurance carrier, and they offered to send Safelite Auto Glass to my house to replace the windshield. Made appointment for tomorrow morning.

I was just wondering if there is anything unusual, or unique to my car that I need to be aware of?

Perhaps a question I should ask the tech, before he even starts the work?

Only one comes to mind now...."have you replaced a windshield in a C6 Corvette before, or is this your first one?"

The car has a HUD, GPS, OnStar, etc.

I'm hoping it's a straight forward glass replacement, much like any other car.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 351 Posts

Tell them you have HUD. I believe the windshield is different......
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Tell them you have HUD. I believe the windshield is different......
I already did.

They asked if it had those components, and a few other questions to be certain they brought the correct windshield. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Not to worry. Safelite replaced the windscreen on my Envoy and it was a perfect job. Took about an hour and a half. When complete, could not tell anything had been disturbed. Tech. was extremely competent.

My Vette windscreen also needs replaced. I asked the tech. if I could get a GM replacement glass. He said no problem, when making the appointment ask for GM glass. He said it would most likely cost a bit more. He also told me weather a Safelite or GM piece it would probably be Chinese made.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 217 Likes on 132 Posts

I also have a 13 GS. I would ask them to repair the chip first before removing the entire glass. The chip repairs are excellent and I think removing an OEM windshield can cause other problems. There are other threads on this topic here as well.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Make sure you ask for a GM windshield...usually takes a while to get those in from what I've heard.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
Not to worry. Safelite replaced the windscreen on my Envoy and it was a perfect job. Took about an hour and a half. When complete, could not tell anything had been disturbed. Tech. was extremely competent.

My Vette windscreen also needs replaced. I asked the tech. if I could get a GM replacement glass. He said no problem, when making the appointment ask for GM glass. He said it would most likely cost a bit more. He also told me weather a Safelite or GM piece it would probably be Chinese made.
Thanks, I just called Safelite...they tell me there is absolutely no difference between the Safelite windshield, and the G.M., except for the name in the corner.
They are calling the GM distributor now, to get a price, and will call me back shortly.

Originally Posted by csf
I also have a 13 GS. I would ask them to repair the chip first before removing the entire glass. The chip repairs are excellent and I think removing an OEM windshield can cause other problems. There are other threads on this topic here as well.
I thought the same thing.
However, due to the location of the chip, (directly in my line of sight), and the length of the crack, they say they cannot guarantee a repair, so they will not do it.

Originally Posted by LFZ
Make sure you ask for a GM windshield...usually takes a while to get those in from what I've heard.
I'll follow up on this as soon as I hear from Safelite...thanks.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It's a car. It's a windshield. There's nothing magical or special about it. I had mine replaced last year with zero issues.

I have had a stone chip repaired since then on the far right side. If you don't know exactly where it was you would never find it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve_R
...It's a car. It's a windshield. There's nothing magical or special about it...
That basically sums up my decision.

Safelite just returned my call. The G.M. windshield is $1022.80, less 25% or $767.10, net installed.

Safelite charges my insurance company $463 installed, so I'd have to pay the difference of $304.10.

There's another wrinkle...that's assuming I arrange for the glass purchase through a GM dealer, and obtain a 25% discount.

If Safelite orders the glass from G.M. they'd charge the GM MSRP of $1022.80, which means I'd have to pay the difference of $559.80.

Ridiculous! Especially since Safelite said they'd be glad to send me the information which verifies that the Safelite glass is manufactured to the identical specs as the G.M. glass.

My answer was, "hey it's a car, not a priceless antique, the Safelite glass will be just fine, and it will cost me absolutely nothing."

More importantly, I was told that replacements on Corvettes, as well as exotics, or expensive cars require them to send their most experienced techs, so I'll be assured of a perfect job.

Nothing but warm fuzzies all around so I feel a lot better about this now.

Both GEICO and Safelite have been excellent!

Thanks for all the comments, it's appreciated.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister

Safelite just returned my call. The G.M. windshield is $1022.80, less 25% or $767.10, net installed.

Safelite charges my insurance company $463 installed, so I'd have to pay the difference of $304.10.

There's another wrinkle...that's assuming I arrange for the glass purchase through a GM dealer, and obtain a 25% discount.

If Safelite orders the glass from G.M. they'd charge the GM MSRP of $1022.80, which means I'd have to pay the difference of $559.80.

Ridiculous! Especially since Safelite said they'd be glad to send me the information which verifies that the Safelite glass is manufactured to the identical specs as the G.M. glass.

My answer was, "hey it's a car, not a priceless antique, the Safelite glass will be just fine, and it will cost me absolutely nothing."

More importantly, I was told that replacements on Corvettes, as well as exotics, or expensive cars require them to send their most experienced techs, so I'll be assured of a perfect job.

I was told that the Safelite windshield glass IS GM glass. The only difference is they can't sell it with GM's name/logo on it so you will notice in the corner, where the name should be, there is a spot where it is erased. I believe there is only one manufacturer of Corvette windshields which makes the aftermarket glass as well.
The only other thing to consider is the molding on the side of the windshield, I believe they had to replace that on mine after removing the old. I can't remember if it was the molding or something else but something on the outside had to be replaced because they would certainly damage it upon removal. Please let us know how it goes/went!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I was told that the Safelite windshield glass IS GM glass. The only difference is they can't sell it with GM's name/logo on it so you will notice in the corner, where the name should be, there is a spot where it is erased. I believe there is only one manufacturer of Corvette windshields which makes the aftermarket glass as well.
The only other thing to consider is the molding on the side of the windshield, I believe they had to replace that on mine after removing the old. I can't remember if it was the molding or something else but something on the outside had to be replaced because they would certainly damage it upon removal. Please let us know how it goes/went!
Sure, I'll definitely follow-up on this tomorrow, after the glass is replaced.

No one has mentioned a molding, or gasket, or any additional costs involved.

The only thing I was told regarding cost was that the entire job, parts, labor, tax, will be paid by GEICO, and there will be no charge to me.

GEICO also said, that glass replacement is a non-chargeable claim, meaning I will see no increase in my premiums as a result of this claim.

So far, I'm a happy camper.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM
gcope63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did GEICO charge you the comp deductible on this? I know some insurance companies don't on windshields and was wondering how GEICO handled it.. I have a couple of chips in mine but want to add the HUD before getting it changed so I can see about getting a HUD windshield..

Thanks

Gary
Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by gcope63
Did GEICO charge you the comp deductible on this? I know some insurance companies don't on windshields and was wondering how GEICO handled it.. I have a couple of chips in mine but want to add the HUD before getting it changed so I can see about getting a HUD windshield..

Thanks

Gary
Can't speak for the OP, but I can tell you that glass replacement coverage varies by state. Some states mandate it, some don't. I don't have it on any of our vehicles because the additional cost to add it isn't worth it and CO doesn't mandate it.

FYI a HUD will work with a non-HUD windshield.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM
John 511
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks

Gary
If they check vin, which they usually do, that will tell if car has HUD or not.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Thanks

Gary

My Comprehensive policy with GEICO carries a $100.00 deductible. However, because I live in Florida, I was told the deductible is waived on any glass claim.

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Can't speak for the OP, but I can tell you that glass replacement coverage varies by state. Some states mandate it, some don't. I don't have it on any of our vehicles because the additional cost to add it isn't worth it and CO doesn't mandate it.

FYI a HUD will work with a non-HUD windshield.
HUD, no HUD, Safelite, OEM, OEE, ....unbelievable.

I don't know whom to believe. There are discussions on forums, and blogs all over the Net on this subject.

There are lots of folks who say they wouldn't let Safelite near their car, (especially with a HUD), because they make terrible windshields, with distortions in the glass.

There are others who say they've had several windshields replaced by Safelite with no problems what-so-ever, no distortions and looked the same as original.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:07 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Safelite replaced my C4's windshield, which are notorious for leaking after replacement and they did a great job. Never had a problem and the glass was identical quality to the original minus the GM logo.

I too have to replace my C6's windwhield, but unfortunately while my insurance company covers all repairs, they changed their replacement policy a few years ago and replacement is now subject to my deductible.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
Safelite replaced my C4's windshield, which are notorious for leaking after replacement and they did a great job. Never had a problem and the glass was identical quality to the original minus the GM logo.

I too have to replace my C6's windwhield, but unfortunately while my insurance company covers all repairs, they changed their replacement policy a few years ago and replacement is now subject to my deductible.
Thanks for your input, perhaps you too can return after your glass is replaced, and let us know about your experiences.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Grand Sport Windshield Replacement

Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,140 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I was very happy with Safelite's work when I needed the windshield replaced on my nearly new ZR1 three years ago. The side A-pillar exterior trim pieces and the windshield wiper valley trim piece have to come off but all were reused. The tech showed me where the GM emblem had been erased off and you come still see a little bit of it. They sent a very experienced tech who had worked on more expensive cars than even mine but mine was the first ZR1 or 2011 corvette he had done. He said that the trim attachment design was a little different than earlier C6s he had done. Bottom Line - I will trust Safelite with my future business!!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I was very happy with Safelite's work when I needed the windshield replaced on my nearly new ZR1 three years ago. The side A-pillar exterior trim pieces and the windshield wiper valley trim piece have to come off but all were reused. The tech showed me where the GM emblem had been erased off and you come still see a little bit of it. They sent a very experienced tech who had worked on more expensive cars than even mine but mine was the first ZR1 or 2011 corvette he had done. He said that the trim attachment design was a little different than earlier C6s he had done. Bottom Line - I will trust Safelite with my future business!!

All good to know. Especially after reading so many horror stories about Safelite.

I received an e-mail from Safelite about an hour ago. It contained a photo of the tech who will be coming to my house, verification info, etc.

Then, just 10 minutes ago, I received a phone call from the tech., letting me know he'll be here in about a half hour. Sounded very pleasant over the phone.

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,009 Likes on 5,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister

You can't be certain that you will get so called GM Glass when you order from a dealer. GM's Service Parts Organization determines what will be purchased and used as replacement glass. Have been through this a couple of times. Not sure why the insurance company would charge you for the difference in price between glass sources. When State Farm paid to replace the windshield in my C5Z they just told me to use any recognized glass business. My first choice was a bust and so they ended up paying for the dealer and another place to replace the glass again and then getting the first glass company to refund what they had paid them.

Not sure about the C6 but for the C5 since the door weather strip has to be removed to replace the glass there are several GM service methods and sealants that can make the difference between having a leaking installation and a non leaking installation. The first windshield replacement ended with weather strip leaks along the A pillars the glass company couldn't resolve, the second installation was assigned to the dealer who purchased non GM glass from GM and had their preferred glass company replace the windshield in the dealer's body shop. This installation also leaked, however, the dealer's Corvette guy with 25 years experience fixing Corvette bodies took the A pillar door weather strip apart, used a special GM sealant and the problem disappeared.

Bill

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Sport Windshield Replacement