C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

What years of corvettes were affected with the HB issue?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I presume, if it's a dealer installing for GMPP, you couldn't ask them to put in a ATI balancer. Saw that thread on blems on amazing.place and thought it might be a good idea to get one, and hang onto it, but not if GMPP won't allow installation of non-GM parts.
Bill, I asked about that before doing this and they said that the bad parts taken off must go back to GM just like regular warranty parts and that if the warranty was to pay for it, they had to put on the AC Delco balancer. So I probably have at least another 66,000 miles on this one...LOL.

The new one is running absolutely true.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Bill, I asked about that before doing this and they said that the bad parts taken off must go back to GM just like regular warranty parts and that if the warranty was to pay for it, they had to put on the AC Delco balancer. So I probably have at least another 66,000 miles on this one...LOL.

The new one is running absolutely true.
So I wonder what the policy is if the warranty isnt GMPP? I'm going to check on that.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EVRose
So I wonder what the policy is if the warranty isnt GMPP? I'm going to check on that.
I'll bet the requirement is the same...it would just be too complicated to be deciding which parts are OK and which are not, on every single car that they insure. Also, the possibility of aftermarket parts would entice some unscrupulous people to purposely damage their cars in order to get the hot rod part they want for free.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I will say that one advantage of GMPP is that the warranty is completely seamless at the dealership. I did not show any paperwork at all, it was all there in their computer already. The computer immediately told him if it was a covered repair as well as my expiration mileage and date. No calling anyone for authorization either.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 679 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by AKc62007
Man CCLIVE you the only one Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care cares about your a lucky guy.
I guess the rest of us dont matter....i am Jealous..
Hey AKc62007,

I absolutely care about everyone on the forum! If anyone has any questions or concerns they would like me to address, feel free to private message me with your contact information, VIN, and preferred dealership name/location. Have a great day everyone!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,501 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Don't know if the video is clear enough but does mine look okay to those who have had theirs changed?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,148 Posts

I'd say it's ok. Video should have been zoomed into the lower crank pulley grooves more. For those making videos, even a simple flashlight on the pulley will make much more useful video. The real go, no-go situation is when it causes the belt to do rhythmic chirping sound, and it's loud not subtle.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I'd say it's ok. Video should have been zoomed into the lower crank pulley grooves more. For those making videos, even a simple flashlight on the pulley will make much more useful video. The real go, no-go situation is when it causes the belt to do rhythmic chirping sound, and it's loud not subtle.
thanks, I don't have any chirping sound that I can discern, I might try to take a better video under proper lighting conditions on an opportune day
Old 03-30-2014, 09:02 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Don't know if the video is clear enough but does mine look okay to those who have had theirs changed?
Sure does.
I can't see any wobbling here... if I had made a clip of mine before the replacement, I would have shown you wobble!....
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'll bet the requirement is the same...it would just be too complicated to be deciding which parts are OK and which are not, on every single car that they insure. Also, the possibility of aftermarket parts would entice some unscrupulous people to purposely damage their cars in order to get the hot rod part they want for free.
Someone once posted that the dealership does not need to automatically return any part removed for warranty repair, but they must retain the old part for a certain length of time and return if requested. That allows GM/GMPP to occasionally audit the dealer, and to examine defective parts to understand what's going wrong.

I should be the expert on this, what with all the parts that have been replaced under GM & GMPP warranty on our car, but I never paid attention to where the old parts went. Just happy to get the car fixed at no charge...
Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

After a short high speed run in my 10/20/04 build, I could unscrew my lower crank pulley bolt. There was a TSB on it, so I had it towed through GM and repaired under warranty on 12/23/05.

REPLACE BALANCE AS PER BULLETIN 05-06-001C
PARTS:
Bolt/Scre
Washer
Balancer
Belt
Belt
Adhesive
Socket

Have 35,500 miles on it now.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Mine had visible wobble but even with the engine off, I could feel with a finger that the hub was flush with the pulley on one side and 1/8 inch above it on the other side. That's .125 at the hub, which would be even more out at the edge where the belt is.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Heck....yours isn't wobbling bad at all. Another way to get a bead on the wobbling is by watching and taking note on how much rocking your tensioner pulley is doing. The worse the pulley...the more the tensioner is gonna "rock" so to speak. My pulley seems to be out by about a 32nd of an inch which isn't real bad yet so i'll keep an eye on it. I put a straight line across the front of the balancer and i'll watch to be sure there is no movement in that line as far as the outer ring actually starting to spin on the rest of the unit. Thanks GM....LOL.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by windyC6
Heck....yours isn't wobbling bad at all. Another way to get a bead on the wobbling is by watching and taking note on how much rocking your tensioner pulley is doing. The worse the pulley...the more the tensioner is gonna "rock" so to speak. My pulley seems to be out by about a 32nd of an inch which isn't real bad yet so i'll keep an eye on it. I put a straight line across the front of the balancer and i'll watch to be sure there is no movement in that line as far as the outer ring actually starting to spin on the rest of the unit. Thanks GM....LOL.
That won't happen...the normal way of failure is that the pulley starts moving in on the hub, towards the engine. We had one on here that moved so far that the pulley was scraping lightly on the timing cover/ water pump area. It was quite a picture that he posted. The hub looked like a tube sticking out the middle of the pulley.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

That won't happen...the normal way of failure is that the pulley starts moving in on the hub, towards the engine. We had one on here that moved so far that the pulley was scraping lightly on the timing cover/ water pump area. It was quite a picture that he posted. The hub looked like a tube sticking out the middle of the pulley.
That's a respected opinion. But I'm not sure it would be prudent to expect any kind of "Normal" way of failure for these pieces of #$%@. I could easily see the outer pulley moving backward...forward....get ****-eyed.....spin around the inards. Either way theres not much margin for error. Once it starts moving around too much, the laws of physics will take over and then all hell could break loose....literally...LOL. I'll keep an eye on mine. Its just a weekend cruiser so it doesn't get raced. But it would be nice to know that I could wind it out a bit without worry of the balancer coming through the hood....LOL.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Dew

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Then what are they going to use to put it on. The original bolt is a "One Use" item. It's junk after you remove it. You better do some research into the need for bolt replacement. And while we are at it, there is also a "Diamond Embedded" washer for the bolt as part of the replacement.
the dew washer goes on the back of the hb not on the bolt.they are reuseable if your cheap

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default old part number

Originally Posted by AKc62007
part 012635652 Balancer
Part 012585673 seal

parts 288.66
Labor 483.32
that is an old part number.I have replaced that number in as little as 4,000 miles on cars I have personally worked on. hopefully yours lasts a little longer
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Billyac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am about to get this procedure done And I wasn't worried about it until I took my hand and twisted the bolt And it started coming loose I knew that wasn't a good thing I'm pretty sure if the bolt is loose like mines it needs to be replaced...
Does anyone know how I can tell if my balance or did any damage???
Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I've taken another video, can anyone tell if it looks okay?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer