C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Fluid 08

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Burgie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fluid 08

Noted prior owner used Prestone Synthetic Super Dot 4 for Clutch fluid. GM sells a bottle of Super Dot 4 however it does not state if it is synthetic. Which is the preferred one to use. The GM one has it's label placed over a product that is made in Germany and sells it for 13 bucks a bottle.
What is the preferred type to use?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The Prestone DOT 4 Synthetic from Walmart is fine...and it's $4. I don't think that the word "synthetic" is descriptive in the case of brake fluid and is just added to the label because it is seen as a positive in motor oil. To me, it would be much more important to change the fluid using the Ranger method often enough to keep it the color of light honey.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Yeah, my understanding is that all DOT 3 and 4 brake fluids are "synthetic".
Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Yeah, my understanding is that all DOT 3 and 4 brake fluids are "synthetic".
Exactly...all brake fluid is "synthetic" by definition.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
The Prestone DOT 4 Synthetic from Walmart is fine...and it's $4. I don't think that the word "synthetic" is descriptive in the case of brake fluid and is just added to the label because it is seen as a positive in motor oil. To me, it would be much more important to change the fluid using the Ranger method often enough to keep it the color of light honey.

Ditto, unless your fluid is pitch black, then it may be wise to do a power bleed through the slave cylinder to begin with, with the ranger method to keep the fluid clear after such

The fluid line from the master to the slave has 3 orifice restrictor's in line alone the path line, and although the ranger method will work for the most part after a few quarts of fluid changes (and a ton of pedal pumping), it can still leave debris (rubber and clutch pad dust) in the slave cylinder.

With powder breeding down from the reserve tank through/out the slave cylinder with a power bleeder, you get enough fluid cavitation in the slave cylinder to knock the debris into the fluid to suspend them and get such out of the system through the slave bleeder valve in about half the amount of fluid. The downfall, the bleed valve on the slave cylinder is not walk in the part to get to so you can power bleed the system.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Fluid 08

Quick Reply: Clutch Fluid 08