C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto top won't go up

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 PM
2many2count
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Auto top won't go up

I have an 08' Vert. with auto up and down. After a drive on a perfect day (80 degrees) here in Florida, I pulled into the garage and attempted to put the top up. I got the annoying bells and the dic showing "emergency brake not engaged." Well DUH, "Mr computer know it all in my car," Yes it was. Tried several times by moving the car and re-assuring the e-brake was fully engaged with negative results. I was able to get the top up by turning the engine off and pushing the starter button to accessory. Success!! Went out later started her up, made sure the e-brake was engaged, and tried to put the top down. Failed again. Anyone have the same experience?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 AM
daho06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had same issue with my 06

Had the same thing happen to my 06 vert last summer. Pulled into my Chevy Service department for a warranty repair and I went to put the top up and it wouldn't. The service tech who is vey good tried any number of things to get the top to work, nothing. They kept the car overnight and the next morning the tech happened to roll the windows up and down then everything worked fine. This was last July and I have not had a problem since. His thought was one of the windows stopped short of making the switch and the top thought the windows were still up.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM
TarHeelDon
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an 06 vert and i tend to remember there was something in the trunk area that needed to be connected or something that would inhibit the top from going up and down.....Maybe check owners manuel and you can find out what i am reffering to...anything to help a JSB Brother!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TarHeelDon
I had an 06 vert and i tend to remember there was something in the trunk area that needed to be connected or something that would inhibit the top from going up and down.....Maybe check owners manuel and you can find out what i am reffering to...anything to help a JSB Brother!
There is a partition in the trunk which snaps in place. It separates the trunk area from the roof storage area. If its not snapped in position, the roof will not operate. But the message about that is different than what he is getting. I can't remember what that message is though.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

To add to daho06's post, the top will not work if the windows haven't been properly indexed either.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

I have an 09 and it does not require the parking brake to be applied at all to lower or raise the top. Maybe it changed. As the others said, check that the windows are indexed, and that the catches on the divider in the trunk are properly attached. I once had something stuck underneath the divider and it interfered with those little connectors and it would not move.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I have an 09 and it does not require the parking brake to be applied at all to lower or raise the top. Maybe it changed. As the others said, check that the windows are indexed, and that the catches on the divider in the trunk are properly attached. I once had something stuck underneath the divider and it interfered with those little connectors and it would not move.
I have an 07 which does not require emergency brake on either. Now I believe you do have to apply the brakes. Maybe that is the issue.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Since the DIC message is that the E-brake is not engaged, I would say that the limit switch on the E-brake is not working. Test this by holding the Ebrake button and pulling the E-brake on gently while driving. The dash should beep and the DIC should warn you. If you get no warning, then the limit switch is the problem. Another way to test this is to do the same with the cruise engaged...the Ebrake will immediately disengage the cruise and it will say so on the DIC.
My '07 Vert requires the E-brake be set in order to move the top. This applies to the manual trans only. This is spelled out in the '07 manual on page 225:

SET PARK BRAKE TO MOVE TOP
If your vehicle has a manual transmission, this
message displays and a chime sounds if you try to
operate the power convertible top without first
setting the parking brake. Set the parking brake
before trying to operate the power convertible top.

So if the BCM does not think that the Ebrake is engaged, it will not allow the top to move. The limit switch is the way that the BCM knows the position of the Ebrake.

Last edited by cclive; 03-05-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:49 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

There is also a fluid reservoir behind the passenger seat under the carpeting. Not a 100%, but may want to check to see if the fluid level is low(on a power top), there may be some type of lockout to protect the motor.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

For those with automatics, the parking brake has to be engaged, OR the car has to be in park.

lisa
Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 PM
2many2count
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I think cclive had the answer. By applying the e-brake while driving, I got no chimes and no message on the dic. Looks like it's the limit switch. Off to the Vette' Doctor tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 2many2count
I think cclive had the answer. By applying the e-brake while driving, I got no chimes and no message on the dic. Looks like it's the limit switch. Off to the Vette' Doctor tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies.
This is an easy fix and inexpensive too...unlike many other things that can go wrong with the Vert top...
Old 10-10-2021, 04:29 PM
shelleygraham
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Auto top won’t go up

The same thing happened to me today. It looked like rain so I wanted to put the top up and it said set the emergency brake but the emergency brake was on and I kept trying and trying so thank God for the forum. I checked replies and someone said put it in accessory mode and I did and thank God I was able to put the roof up. Also, it was weird when I couldn’t put the roof up the power trunk button didn’t work and then after I closed the roof in the accessory mode the power trunk button worked. I also drove it lift an emergency brake on at the same time while driving and I did not get any chimes or information on the instrument panel so does that mean it is the limit switch on the emergency brake ? Is this an easy part to replace ?

Last edited by shelleygraham; 10-10-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto top won't go up

Quick Reply: Auto top won't go up