C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:17 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Red08
I don't defend having it. I have told people that I have always wanted a vette, and finally was able to get one. I have also told people that I am very blessed to have it.
I love this answer. Same one I use.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Cyberdemonbfg
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ESB-LS2
I live in Quebec,Canada and bought a 2005 Vette in dec.2012. everyone comments on where did I get the money for it? when I tell them I paid less than 30k they say but it is only for summer driving. I tell them I bought it to drive for 7 months and rain or shine because it was my dream car for 55 years.I don't take 4 vacation trips a year! I drive my dream car instead.that keeps them quiet. most people give me envy looks and others thumbs up.I LOVE my DREAM CAR!!!!!!
I haven't taken a vacation since 2002.My wife and i take care of my parents and i still work four nights a week but it's my DD and i enjoy it a little each day.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:31 AM
airspeed
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

my wife and i are in our mid 70s was not blessed to have kids, when i bought the vette
her long time friend said that only selfish people buy two seat cars. my reply was she is just jealous because she is to big to fit. love my vette and will never defend owning it.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 AM
rmarks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just other peoples way of saying "Nice Car". I just smile and say that "it's my baby" and they always smile back.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:52 AM
usctroj836
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by Hameister
I purchased my new 2013 Grand Sport, in January of 2013.

Since then, I've had a variety of remarks from neighbors, acquaintances, family members, and even a few friends.

Here's some of the typical comments, and my typical responses.

That's a pretty expensive toy isn't it? --- No, not really, Lamborghinis are expensive, Corvettes not so much.
How much did it cost? --- Out the door, $61,000.
Like I said, that's a lot of money for a toy. --- I've done well, I can afford it.

Why do you need so much horsepower just to drive around town? --- Clearly, you've never driven a high performance sports car, have you?

Looks like you're having a mid-life crisis. --- Hey, growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Most of these people are just jealous, but can't admit it.
Growing up is optional. I love my 2009 ZO6. I am lucky enough to have a 9 to 5 career (more like 6 to 4) and a small business I started in 1991.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarks
It's just other peoples way of saying "Nice Car". I just smile and say that "it's my baby" and they always smile back.
I think you hit the nail on the head
Old 03-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never had to defend my Vette until last month. My wife is at me everyday saying she liked the old one better (2012 GS CG M heritage pkg) I traded it in when she was "away" visiting the grand kids for a 2013 427 1SC anniversary edition. I havn't heard anything but "I LIKE THE OLD ONE BETTER, GUESS WE CAN PAINT THE NEW ONE, BUT IT HAS A COVERTABLE TOP"

Go figure
Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 AM
cnw
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No, once they see my gun the conversations shifts. The Vette is the least of the conversation.

Chuckle.

Craig
Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by airspeed
my wife and i are in our mid 70s was not blessed to have kids, when i bought the vette
her long time friend said that only selfish people buy two seat cars. my reply was she is just jealous because she is to big to fit. love my vette and will never defend owning it.
Just imagine what she thinks about motorcycles!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:12 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell this irresponsible individual that the number one cause of concern for the future of our planet is overpopulation (which given the intellectual level of her remark has to be news to her) and suggest she helps her own species working towards sustainability by stopping popping kids out every year and enjoy life in a two seater.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I've received a few comments similar to this from a few"" friends"" and some family and have heard from them less and less throughout our years of Corvette ownership. Envy and jealousy are terrible qualities. I have since defriended them of my Facebook!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 AM
C5-1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is a daily driver and it always comes up when visiting clients. I simply respond that I average 35-40k miles a year, my car is my office...so why not make my job even more enjoyable
Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 AM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha!!

I usually get the reverse defending comments?

"Why'd you get a cheap chevrolet?!" LOL!

Quick Reply: Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette