C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 AM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I just look at them and say; " I paid 20K for it and get 30MPG. How about you?"
"The Prius was just too gay for me"

I use mine for a work car. .55 per mile, baby!
When I roll up and place four servers in the back, the customer must be thinking WTF!

Thought it would justify what you said.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Cyberdemonbfg
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JTA-Vette

Thought it would justify what you said.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
Wait, do people really care about the MPG this car gets and use that to their defense? You kiddin me??
Yes, they're always surprised when I show them these photos below & often claim that I "must have been coasting downhill to get those fuel economy numbers" or something. It definitely matters (at least to me) to educate people that it's not just a TOY! and is a completely practical, and affordable car.

Then I tell them I can even go to Costco/BJ's/Sam's Club/WalMart/Shopping, etc., fill up an entire cart & fit it all in the trunk of my little Corvette. That might not be something you used to be able to do historically, but you can now if you so choose. The car is just all around awesome and I drive it as often as I can and enjoy every second of it!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I have never had to defend my car, has never come up. BUT I'm prepared to reply " It's a Chevy & made in America" cars like that are getting harder to find .
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

A few reasons (most are already beaten to death)

A lot of people assume they are more expensive than they are. They probably think they're as expensive as a Viper or Ferrari, and don't realize you can buy one relatively inexpensively.

A lot of people know that it's entirely impractical as an only car, and so they assume if that's your toy you must have a bunch of money tied up into DDs as well.

Some people simply don't like people who have nice cars that are out of their norm. If you're not in a Lexus, BMW or MB a lot of people simply don't like them because they know nothing about them. Heck, their salesman might have told them bad things about the cars and so they think they get terrible fuel economy, cost a lot to fix, or some other crap.

Truthfully, I don't really get negative reactions from people. And if I did, I wouldn't give a crap. I know friends who spend more going out drinking each month than I do on my car, it's all a matter of doing what makes you happy.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Njja
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not really anyone's business what another person drives. If I was in
a service related business I would probably drive a modest vehicle to my
office to avoid comments as stated in the original post in this thread.

I have always been a car guy, and I have found people very nice just like I used to be whenever I saw someone in a really nice ride.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Defend it?

LoL

Needs no explaining, nor do i waste my time with anyone making me feel like I need to.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Fortunately the haters are in the minority. Ignore them. If you have to explain why you drive/own one, they wouldn't understand. Over my 15 years of ownership the complements far outnumber the digs.

Enjoy your car.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I never come out first to tell anyone I own a corvette....just makes you look like a big d-bag when you throw that out there.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
I never come out first to tell anyone I own a corvette....just makes you look like a big d-bag when you throw that out there.

My lady friend always has to throw it in there. It drives me insane. If I mention how we are going up to a certain place for the day, she'll add in "we" are taking the Vette up. Or if I start to talk cars with someone she'll say "we got a corvette" (mind you she doesn't have a corvette, I do) She tries to show-off, that's why I wont let her drive it. I think it makes people look like Dbags too. I refer to it as my red car. If people ask specifics I tell them.

Also, I defend 05's from all of the haters. I love this hobby, I don't love haters.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Njja
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Some people love cars, some don't who can figure? I don't talk about them unless I am on a Forum, someone points out my cars at a social function,
or I am out in one of them in public.
Everyone has been nice, and I am happy to talk to anyone interested just like I used to be when I saw someone in a nice car.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
A lot of people assume they are more expensive than they are. They probably think they're as expensive as a Viper or Ferrari, and don't realize you can buy one relatively inexpensively.
I agree with this completely, when I bought my 10 year old z06 a number of people made odd comments to me about it at work. Mind you all the people were jealous *******s, but I still talked to them about it. Every one of them thought it was a new corvette. When I told them it was 10 years old and only cost 20k, got 30mpg hwy and had 32k miles on it. I think they were still jealous *******s, but more cause they were too dumb to consider buying one than because I was special or made too much money.

I think the biggest misconception is that people have no idea what it is, they realize its a corvette, but its so easy to find one that has been meticulously maintained that people cant believe its an inexpensive 10 year old used car that cost lest than their civic.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
It works the other way, too.

My dentist drives a ten year old Lexus.
I always bust on him...
"As much as I pay you, and you are still driving that POS Camry."
Then he tries to justify, " It's a Lexus."
You don't tell him that as he's getting ready to pull you a tooth right?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I refer to my car as "Chevy" when someone asks what I drive, just makes it easier & avoids questions, unless they ask what model Chevy then I tell them.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Same as having a hot GF

If you cant handle the hate, date fat or drive a Camry
Old 03-21-2014, 03:47 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Same as having a hot GF

If you cant handle the hate, date fat or drive a Camry
Not quite the same...but I see the point you're trying to make.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by carjo
Fortunately the haters are in the minority. Ignore them. If you have to explain why you drive/own one, they wouldn't understand. Over my 15 years of ownership the complements far outnumber the digs.

Enjoy your car.
IDK but around here haters are easily among the majority. Younger people give me the look of approval/respect and the older folk look at me in disgust prob thinking I bought it with drug money or it is my dad's car.

I get d**ked around all the time cause I'm young and driving a Z06. Have gotten flipped off for no reason and honked at. Bunch of idiots if you ask me.... funny how different everyone is when I'm in the DD

Last edited by x88; 03-21-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Archaic2021
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I catch crap due to my age! Being 25 and having a vette (which it's just an base 08 model) I always catch crap. Usually.

Must be nice to have rich parent's, spoilt, blah blah blah.

My Dad god rest his soul helped me by my first car. A $800 88 Camaro. I have been fixing them up and selling them every since. I've owned 18 vehicles and I can finally say I found something to keep. It will be payed for in 16 months and will be all mine! I work 60 hours a week at my "real" job and also do side mechanic work for people.

Usually the hate I get from being young and owning a vette is that most people my age aren't willing to work for something. No matter what it is, people my age want the easy way out.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 AM
pcolarossi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM
ESB-LS2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Quebec,Canada and bought a 2005 Vette in dec.2012. everyone comments on where did I get the money for it? when I tell them I paid less than 30k they say but it is only for summer driving. I tell them I bought it to drive for 7 months and rain or shine because it was my dream car for 55 years.I don't take 4 vacation trips a year! I drive my dream car instead.that keeps them quiet. most people give me envy looks and others thumbs up.I LOVE my DREAM CAR!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette