C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
My family thinks I'm wasting my money but I'm not phased... this car brings me joy and that's what life is all about.
LOL I agree, my parents told me I lack common sense when I brought my C6 over to show them. If I didn't blow all my cash on dope I'd have had enough for a brand new Lamborghini, no joke. 30K for a safe, fun and cool hobby is well worth it in my eyes these days. My Corvette has helped me with my recovery in many ways, by occupying my mind, time, being a positive hobby and appreciating what hard work and doing the right thing can get you. I never thought I'd live long enough to buy a C6, let alone own something nice again, I did and my goal is to have it paid off by the time I'm 35(I'm 33 now).
People tease me at work about it being for old grizzled men, I don't mind though. Nothing feels better than hitting the open road with the top off and hearing the roar of the engine it's therapeutic to me.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

I only need to justify my self to one person, and he to me.

lisa
Could not have said it any better

Except I need to change the "he" to "her"
Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I have owned Vette's for most of the last 35 years and have heard most of the comments noted on this thread. It is amazing how many people still consider the Vette to be a gas hog, harsh riding, expensive to buy and own, high maintenance, high insurance, etc car.

When I tell people----
They are expensive but compared to how they perform comparable cars cost twice as much.
With my driving record what I pay for full coverage on my 09-Cyber/Grey 3LZ Z06 absolutely blows their mind.
While the car does not ride like a luxury car I have driven 500 plus miles a day and am completely comfortable.
This 500 hp car gets 23 or 24 mpg normal driving and 30 on the highway they just about faint.

Then when I tell them the bottom line is I am a "car guy" and more exact I am a "Corvette guy" if you have to ask what that is you will never get it.

Last edited by kenw; 03-04-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: posted befor ready
Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM
hotrodln
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i bought my first C4( 5 years old) and drove it to work, one of the other engineers went in and complained to my boss that " HE wasn't making enough to buy a vette< how come Pat is?" so my boss called me in and i had to explain to him that it was used and needed work....WTF! I've been self employed since then and i don't have to answer to anymore about the C6.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:33 PM
slosh123
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aviator
I don't defend my decision to own a Vette, nor do I care what other people do or say about my Vette. If they don't get the pure fun and joy that comes from owning a high performance vehicle, that's their loss and it doesn't impact me one bit. Just enjoy the ride!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
schneid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saplumr
I make it a point to reduce the chance of my business customers of knowing I have a Corvette. It's not that I'm ashamed but people are fickle. Some may look as it as flaunting their money while others would see it as a successful business person. Seeing me in a $68K truck is a non issue but the Corvette or like car is percieved differently.
^ exactly
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I have never had to defend owning a corvette, but I had comments about why i bought a C3 and not a C6.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 PM
richp5
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't drive my Vette to work due to the location, employees I supervise, etc. BUT I can drive my Suburban which cost over $20K more and nobody blinks an eye. I mostly ride my Harley which with all the aftermarket stuff is worth more than most of the employees vehicles and they regard it as just a motorcycle and no big deal.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by J Vette
I just noticed that you are from Anderson SC. I went to college in Central (Southern Wesleyan U) as an old man and graduated in 93. Still have some dear friends in Westminster. I really enjoyed that area.
SMALL WORLD

I am 1984 Central Wesleyan(Now Southern Wesleyan LOL) Grad
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I make it a point to reduce the chance of my business customers of knowing I have a Corvette. It's not that I'm ashamed but people are fickle. Some may look as it as flaunting their money while others would see it as a successful business person. Seeing me in a $68K truck is a non issue but the Corvette or like car is percieved differently.

You hit the nail on the head
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
The most truthful answer is also the best one . . . "You don't know very much about cars, do you?"

90% will not bring it up again, and the 10% who foolishly feel the need to show how much they know quickly prove that you were correct. Haters gonna hate.
......my #1 comeback!

However, I catch so much hell from my coworkers it absolutely ain't funny. I actually stopped driving my car to work because of them. Now they ask me if I still own it. I tell them it's a track car now so I can't drive it on the street.

I work with a bunch of pompous a-holes.............
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM
D.Guerra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just a paramedic recently divorced who just bought a house (in Oct.) and my used 2005 vette with 63,833 miles (last month). My child support is ridiculous... I work hard at my two jobs. I over overtime like crazy at both my 911 city/county job and my clinical research job. I've never driven it to work. I can't imagine what they'd say. I didn't want to rent a place to live so I got a mortgage (good investment) and my ex-wife took me to the cleaners and didn't want to be down about it or see me beat down by life. I just don't think ppl would understand and they will just hate and be jealous. So I just drive my Denali instead. There's other ppl at work single and divorced who pay A LOT less in child support than I do or have no real bills or live with mom and dad still. Yet I'm the one who should feel bad?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:27 PM
CurtH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J Vette
Having been in business most of my life, I understand that perception is vital to business and customer relations.

The next time someone says they must be paying you too much $$$, tell them that your service is actually worth a Ferrari, but you work for them at the discount price of a Chevrolet.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM
desue
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 79 and I get the same reaction. I think most folks see it as a status symbol. People with Corvettes must be rich, little do they know that I am a single parent working my **** off to get my "toy". I agree with the poster that said "because I deserve it". I think most Corvette owners are the same as me, no matter what year you own, you work hard for the things in life you desire, so enjoy your Vette and don't worry what the haters think!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

who gives a rats azz what they think
Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Took me 48 years to by my corvette, full filling a childhood dream. Regular non car people would never understand that. I answer to nobody! !!! Except my wife. Lol

hear, hear...!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Roddy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Told a guy I worked with that my Vette cost less than his bass boat. He never made a comment again.
Mine was a lot less than my boat, less than my truck and I don't give a rip. One of the owner of used vettes told me a simular story as the OP.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I tell them my mpg. That usually shuts them up.
It's my high performance economy car.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 AM
donzi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tell them it gets double the mileage of my Ferrari
Shuts them up every time...Ed
Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Cyberdemonbfg
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could care less what anybody thinks...They didn't buy it.

Quick Reply: Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette