C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had similar questions about my Vette. What I do, with a sly smile, is hold up my hand with thumb and index finger about 1/2" apart and say "It's to make up for my tiny, tiny pee-pee." then chuckle. That pretty much shuts EVERYONE up!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Norskie
I was raised on the ragged edge of poverty. I put myself through college working full time and got an MBA and didn't borrow a dime or get help from anyone. My wife worked to help pay for college expenses. I'm not about to apologize or justify to anyone for my success. Nor do I explain why I wear boots. Best regards.

right on....you should send this post to our lovely administration in Washington...maybe they will learn something about progress, success and how to make it in life without handouts or redistributing our hard earn money...
Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The "..expensive toy.." comment would annoy me. It's not a toy, it's a fine piece of engineering, have some respect for the people that came up with it. I get mad when people disrespect the hard work of others because they perceive something completely inappropriately. It's not a toy to me, otherwise I wouldn't care if it got trashed, and I certainly wouldn't invest as much as I have in mine.

I like the "you get paid too much!" comments, every time I hear it the person saying it is typically using it in a jovial manner (not insulting); however, if they sound like they ARE insulting me, I invite them to join the Navy and tell me if they feel like they're getting paid enough after 6 years in working 12-16hr shifts every day

Generally though, I think most of the time I hear offhand comments like that, it's just from people admiring the car and trying to break the ice with a bit of humor. I don't really think they're attempting to insult.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

People always assume it's Daddy's car and automatically I'm a *****. I've had ppl give me the finger for no reason (ok sometimes I deserve it but I was cruising in the middle lane behind a minivan). I say **** em....

Usually ppl ask me what I do for work. I tell them I'm a Software Engineer and they just nod.

My family thinks I'm wasting my money but I'm not phased... this car brings me joy and that's what life is all about.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Thinly veiled envy.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
My family thinks I'm wasting my money but I'm not phased... this car brings me joy and that's what life is all about.
Yeah my father used to say the same about my taste in cars and thought it was a waste. I told him that everyone has a hobby and they end up spending it one way or another (he dropped a ton on his love of golf). I'm sure as h3ll not taking anything with me when I die so I'm going to enjoy it while I'm around.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:30 PM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I don't defend anything to anyone, period.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
Not a full year into my C6 and love it however one thing I have become a little "agitated" with is so many comments from friends/clients etc about driving a Vette

Wife and I were at breakfast Sunday am and one of my clients comes up to me and the "I am paying you too much $$$". Seems he saw us pulling up in our Vette. Then when I see him leave he and his wife go out and get in a fairly late model Mercedes SUV(not the little one either).

Have had quite a few comments like this, even sit on a local school board and several of the members driving high end MB or BMW's and have heard same remarks from them

I seldom ever drive my Vette to my office, did that one day last week and heard plenty of comments, worst from a guy getting in his $60K TRUCK

I guess they do not realize I bought a 5 yr old Vette or do most just perceive Vette's as being more expensive than they are

Wife and I looked long and hard and kept our 2002 Trailblazer and 04 Dodge 1500 4x4 truck. (most of the time folks see me in one of my drivers ed cars which are all Taurus's ). We see lot of our friends on HD's, she has no desire for one and would never ride on one, and we decided a Vette would be a much better mode of transportation for the 2 of us on trips and weekends.

I just grin and bare it but still have to admit I get a little irritated about some of the comments some times

Like most we work hard and by no means are well off, just 2 working adults that have grown kids and any where we go just the 2 of us in what ever we drive.

Neither of us is flashy or "mouthy" about what we have either

Is this common
Having been in business most of my life, I understand that perception is vital to business and customer relations.

The next time someone says they must be paying you too much $$$, tell them that your service is actually worth a Ferrari, but you work for them at the discount price of a Chevrolet.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:39 PM
KC Slider
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't defend it, just tell them envy is one of those really bad sins!! I then tell them that I store the Cadi in the summer and had to have something to drive!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by J Vette
Having been in business most of my life, I understand that perception is vital to business and customer relations.

The next time someone says they must be paying you too much $$$, tell them that your service is actually worth a Ferrari, but you work for them at the discount price of a Chevrolet.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Yeah, I bought my Corvette for me, because I wanted it. Not for anyone else.

You know what I tell them? "You can drive what you want with your money. I will drive what I want with mine."

And then sometimes I tell them that I only paid $29, for it, which is less than what they paid for their SUV.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM
tiresmoke69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by veloz
right on....you should send this post to our lovely administration in Washington...maybe they will learn something about progress, success and how to make it in life without handouts or redistributing our hard earn money...
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

If you think the comments are bad owning a vette. Try riding $5000 bicycle around and here the comments!! You paid HOW MUCH for a bicycle!!! Never mind I average 4000 miles year on it.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:46 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Defend it?

LOL

We just became a two-vette household.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
2008 Atomic Orange
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't
Old 03-04-2014, 03:27 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
I just noticed that you are from Anderson SC. I went to college in Central (Southern Wesleyan U) as an old man and graduated in 93. Still have some dear friends in Westminster. I really enjoyed that area.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Bellebuddy1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a guy once that, after looking around at my house and other "toys" said rather sarcastically, "I sure would hate to have your payments!". I just looked back at him and said how do you know I have any payments!! He didn't say much else.

Another time after learning that I had bought a new Vette said, "I didn't know your pockets were that deep". I told him that there was a lot of things he didn't know about me!
In both cases the conversation ended pretty abruptly.

Last edited by Bellebuddy1; 03-04-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Kraz8s
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I get crap all the time. I'm 32 and got my '12 GS new. I knew what I was in for and don't mind the snide comments at all.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Neil350
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Most my friends have Vipers, Nissan GTRs, Supras, CTS-Vs and so on, a lowly C6 coupe doesn't get much attention.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
Defend it?

LOL
We just became a two-vette household.

I only need to justify my self to one person, and he to me.

We don't have a his or hers. We just need to figure out which car fits our needs for any given day.
Is it going to be gorgeous?, then the one who is going to be driving in traffic gets the vert automatic, and the other one gets " stuck" with the Z06.

lisa

Last edited by owc6; 03-04-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette