C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Borla Exhaust Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:41 PM
alltexan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Borla Exhaust Installation

I am about to pull the trigger on a Borla S-Type Rear Exhaust system for my 2008 C6. I am wintering away from from home and wanted to get it installed soon. Any advice on installers.... I have a relationship with the local Chevy dealer, Midas, Mineke.... etc????
Any other recos would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Pretty easy to do yourself as long as you can get the car in the air. The job is doable with jack stands or quality ramps but much easier on a lift. I am no mechanic and installed mine in about 2 hours including BS'ing. One time saver for me was I used a Sawzall and cut the pipes of the OEM axle-back right where they mated to the mid-pipes to make the removal easier.

For an experienced shop like a Midas (assuming they would do it) it shouldn't take more than a hour. Problem with many shops is they won't install anything they didn't sell due to our insanely litigious society.

Only "issue" I had installing myself was I was over-cautious about leaving a gap between the muffler and suspension. If it is too close (there is a lot of play/room for adjustment) it will cause a rattle. In my case, the tips stick out too far now for my taste. Also, I was so focused on ensuring the tips were level that I failed to notice the left side sticks out a little farther than the right; my OCD is really getting the better of me so I will put it up on a lift when the weather warms up and make a few adjustments...

/r

Allen
Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Pretty straight forward to change out stock exhaust to Borla S-Type II.

First, your car really needs to be up fairly high (like on a lift) to get the job done easily (unless you are going to cut the stock exhaust pipes right behind the mufflers. It takes a good bit of room to manipulate the stock exhaust with the pipes still attached and get them out. But if you have the car on a lift and take off the back hanging brackets it is a lot easier.

It can be done without taking the back brackets off but I found it easier just to unbolt them and then reinstall them with the new Borla.

Also, you will need to loosen and drop the rear sway bar to get clearance.

The last tip, just position the exhaust so you have them at least a half inch (towards the front of the car) from touching in the rear, as the exhaust has a tendency to settle backwards slightly once you have driven the car a little and that would result in a rattle if they bang against the back while driving. Just double check your clearance all around the mufflers when you tighten everything up.

This is how I did it with the help of my friend and forum moderator Johnodrake.

Loosen mid hangers.

Remove X pipe.

Take off back hangers and remove exhaust.

Install new Borla S-Type II.

ENJOY!

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 02-22-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:08 AM
johnm476
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla S-Type II

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Pretty straight forward to change out stock exhaust to Borla S-Type II.

First, your car really needs to be up fairly high (like on a lift) to get the job done easily (unless you are going to cut the stock exhaust pipes right behind the mufflers. It takes a good bit of room to manipulate the stock exhaust with the pipes still attached and get them out. But if you have the car on a lift and take off the back hanging brackets it is a lot easier.

It can be done without taking the back brackets off but I found it easier just to unbolt them and then reinstall them with the new Borla.

Also, you will need to loosen and drop the rear sway bar to get clearance.

The last tip, just position the exhaust so you have them at least a half inch (towards the front of the car) from touching in the rear, as the exhaust has a tendency to settle backwards slightly once you have driven the car a little and that would result in a rattle if they bang against the back while driving. Just double check your clearance all around the mufflers when you tighten everything up.

This is how I did it with the help of my friend and forum moderator Johnodrake.

Loosen mid hangers.

Remove X pipe.

Take off back hangers and remove exhaust.

Install new Borla S-Type II.

ENJOY!

Even the box and hat are nice.

Son in law installed a lift in his garage so install was pretty straight forward. He did a great job. Lol
Old 08-24-2020, 10:22 AM
buck fever
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

You’ll be very pleased with Borla. I planned to put the S Type II on last year at Carlisle in their installation alley. When I pulled the car over to the designated spot and went to pay for it, another sales guy told me they were out of the II and said because of their mistake they would give me the ATAK for the same price. I’m so glad they made that inventory mistake. The ATAK is amazing, great sound with no drone at highway speeds. A huge improvement over the stock exhaust. Just recently, on occasion I will get a rattle sound like a heat shield is loose which I’ll get checked out the next time it’s up on a lift. Good luck with the installation
The following users liked this post:
johnm476 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 10:51 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I had mine installed at a local shop that works on corvettes. 90 minutes and $150. Done.
The following users liked this post:
johnm476 (08-24-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Borla Exhaust Installation

Quick Reply: C6 Borla Exhaust Installation