C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 AM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Stock Front License Plate Mount

I'm looking for a C6 to replace my C4, but I just hate that hideous factory front plate mounting system, as shown in the photo below:

So I've been eliminating cars that have the factory mount installed, but I began to wonder this morning if that mount damages the front of the car.

If the factory mount is removed, does it leave the front undamaged? I've assumed it does, but I don't know that for a fact.

Those that live in a state requiring front plates, what alternative mount works best?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Normally they are held on by just 3 or 4 round sticky adhesive pads. Many have removed them without any problems.

Some dealers have been known to screw them in. On the car in your photo, ask them to take the paper plate off. Now look for any screw heads. If you see any, then someone screwed it in.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

It should just be stuck on there and can be removed for a different mount. Like stated above, just make sure it wasn't screwed in.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks very much for the replies. Now I know what to look for and ask about.

Steven
Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my car and it has the GM bracket with the 3 adhesive pads (uninstalled). I was wondering if the plastic edges of the bracket will scratch the paint on the bumper over time. I live in Texas (front plate req'd) and am trying to decide to go with no front plate, the GM bracket or a Top Flight bracket. I think I prefer that the GM bracket sits higher and is mostly out of the grill but I don't want to take any chances on scratching the paint.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I also live in Texas. Here is my front plate. I'll take my chances, and if I get caught, I'll pay the fine.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 909 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Just my opinion - I think the Top Flight removable bracket is the least obtrusive and best looking of all the options on the market. The stock GM bracket that sits high on the nose is the ugliest thing GM ever did. Uglier than the Aztek.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:53 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

After 3 warnings I bought the Top Flight removable bracket. Car is white and I have the color matched frame. Plate is black and white so it's okay. Pockets aren't deep enough for $200 a pop.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I spotted this one in the Corvette Corral at the ALMS races, @ Road America a few years ago.
Just a visual for you.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,958 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I bought the Show and Go mounting system that you can run the plate up or down. I always have it down and figure that if I get stopped I will say.......really officer? I must have left it down when I was cleaning it. If I can get out I will show you........

So far have not been stopped but it is just a matter of time.....there is no good license plate mount on a C6.........but this is better than nothing.......
Old 02-22-2014, 04:04 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

The picture of the yellow bumper is enough to scare me off of the GM bracket. I have a top flight bracket that I can use once my plates arrive even though I'm not a real fan of the plate sitting in the middle of the grille. I can always remove it occasionally with the wing nuts. Stupid Texas law.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,497 Likes on 816 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by RedSeeSix
I was wondering if the plastic edges of the bracket will scratch the paint on the bumper over time.
yes it does
Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

OP:

If you find a car you like, you could always make an offer that includes removal of the bracket/frame.

One poster had screws, but had the holes filled-in and painted when he repaired nicks and scratches on the bumper. You couldn't tell from the pics.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:28 PM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought my car and it has the GM bracket with the 3 adhesive pads (uninstalled). I was wondering if the plastic edges of the bracket will scratch the paint on the bumper over time. I live in Texas (front plate req'd) and am trying to decide to go with no front plate, the GM bracket or a Top Flight bracket. I think I prefer that the GM bracket sits higher and is mostly out of the grill but I don't want to take any chances on scratching the paint.
YES they most definetly do...where I bought it they didn't center the bracket...which was bugging me...Today it came off with hardly no pull adhesive is not that strong...where the paint is wore thru can't move over bracket to cover !!!... Not sure what to do yet...Front plate required here also !!!Really don't mind the bracket - centered would have been better !!!With a personalized plate and a smoke cover makes it better !!!

Last edited by 08C6; 02-22-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. I figured that either the adhesive would cause some sort of paint reaction over time or the edges would scratch the paint.

I will try the Top Flight and try to disguise the plate a bit by using the black license plate that is offered by the Texas. They offer about one hundred choices. Hard to believe that Texas is the only state in the South with this dumb *ss law.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I figured that either the adhesive would cause some sort of paint reaction over time or the edges would scratch the paint.

I will try the Top Flight and try to disguise the plate a bit by using the black license plate that is offered by the Texas. They offer about one hundred choices. Hard to believe that Texas is the only state in the South with this dumb *ss law.
I run a billet bracket that uses existing fascia bolts for mount. Can be installed with plate centered in grill or so plate is below grill opening. Where in Texas are you?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 909 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

If you plan on using body-color matching plate frames with your Top Flight bracket, look at the painted to match frames at Corvette Central, part #205133-xxx. They are narrower at the top & bottom, don't obscure the state name and are about 1/3 the price of the Top Flight frames.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Front License Plate Mount

Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Originally Posted by dpigguy
I run a billet bracket that uses existing fascia bolts for mount. Can be installed with plate centered in grill or so plate is below grill opening. Where in Texas are you?
I'm in Houston.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I'm in Texas, too... I don't use a front plate. If (when) I get caught.... I'll just pay the fine.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:50 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Originally Posted by duckvett
If you plan on using body-color matching plate frames with your Top Flight bracket, look at the painted to match frames at Corvette Central, part #205133-xxx. They are narrower at the top & bottom, don't obscure the state name and are about 1/3 the price of the Top Flight frames.
Nice.

I think I'll go with the thin black Corvette Central one to hide more of the plate without obscuring the lettering which is also against the dumb *ss Texas law. I don't like the thick Top Flight frames and the color matched ones just draw your eye to the plate even more.

BTW, I saw a picture of the GM license mount from a different angle and now agree with everyone else that it is indeed hideous.

Quick Reply: Stock Front License Plate Mount