C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Wobble WOT in 3rd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:48 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Sure you did not just spin? new clutch grabbing good / not slipping.

SO you spun a little in 3rd.?
this gets my vote also...nothing new here
Old 03-26-2014, 02:21 PM
BOO666
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I see it from time to time at the dealership . Just like nosferatu stated. Sways and shocks ... That's the cure . The more power you have the worse it gets
Old 04-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Joey3571
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a set of Bilsteins back in March and still have not received them. I eventually canceled the order because they are on back order from Bilstein themselves. I did find a guy today Turner Motorsports (AKA allshocks.com) who had 6 on the shelf and is sending them today. I plan on putting them on this weekend. I will update the status of the wobble once complete. I have also noticed that with a passenger in the car, it does not seem to do it as bad. Just another thing I noticed. Sorry to bring this back up but I said I would update. If you need or want Bilstein Shocks for the rear before end of May, call Doug at 800-280-6966 Ext 114.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Z06 started doing the same thing a few months ago. I notice mostly when I am on the freeway, but it is worse when I really get into the throttle. The car seems to want to pull to one side or the other.

I've got about 50K on it and it is daily driven, so maybe I need new shocks too.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

It's the tires. I promise. Get the dealer to put new wheels and tires on it from a car on the lot. Make a few rips. Problem will be gone. Buy new tires. Junk the old ones. I have been down this EXACT road. Nothing else will be wrong with the car. You can look and search and check and whatever. Try my suggestion first. Then if the wobble is still there chase other possibilities. Mine were BRAND NEW Michelin Pilot Sport Cups 345/30/19's that had the problem. Never in my life would I have expected it to be the tires so I checked everything else first.

Last edited by Racingswh; 04-16-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Joey3571
Advanced

So I said I would update all once my rear shocks were replaced. Good news, replacing the rears shocks with 44000 miles on them with a new set of Bilstein Sports, corrected the issue. I am not longer rocking side to side in the rear end at wide open throttle with a rolling launch in 3rd gear at 70 MPH. So, if you are experiencing this issue, I would recommend replacing the rear shocks at a minimum. I did all 4 corners just because that's how OCD I am.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:16 PM
txA&M08
Advanced

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I haven't found another one that captures my issues so accurately.

The car is a 15k mile '07 Z06 in perfect condition. Just like the OP, I've got a combination of high-speed side to side wobble under acceleration AND bad tire hop at low speeds. Both new issues since I did heads/cam and replaced the rear tires with 345 Pilot Sport Cups. This is definitely NOT a loss of traction issue. Having your entire body/frame wobble back and forth in a rhythm feels completely different from spinning tires and sliding the rear.

The difference here is that I already have DRM valved Bilsteins and they don't help at all. After reading Racingswh's post, I'm going to put the old 345 PSS tires back on and see if the issue is resolved. I'll post an update when I do.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM
bdickey058
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this problem with my car. Under hard accl the rear end goes back and forth, like a wobble. Car has year old eibach sways and ridetech coilovers all the way around. Also running a 20in tire in front and rear. front is 285 rear is 325 michelin ps2. Seems to be worse on certain roads then others but is always there. Was under the car yesterday and everything seemed legit. Now i did have a low tire awhile ago and drove it to the dealer. maybe a belt broke in the tire? this is frustrating
Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM
txA&M08
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdickey058
I have this problem with my car. Under hard accl the rear end goes back and forth, like a wobble. Car has year old eibach sways and ridetech coilovers all the way around. Also running a 20in tire in front and rear. front is 285 rear is 325 michelin ps2. Seems to be worse on certain roads then others but is always there. Was under the car yesterday and everything seemed legit. Now i did have a low tire awhile ago and drove it to the dealer. maybe a belt broke in the tire? this is frustrating
I sold my car but never did figure this out. The answer may be to go with non-Michelin tires. I changed from PS Cups to PSS on the rear and didn't see the issue for a while and then one day at the drag strip (on perfectly level tarmac), a hard shift into 3rd and the *** end started dancing back and forth again. The longer you stay in it, the more violent the wobble gets until you have to come out of the throttle. Very frustrating because I had everything in the rear checked out and all was good. I hope you get it figured out.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

just saw this post bump and saw my old post

I had a solution for mine as documented above. Shocks were bad. Replaced with Bilsteins problem solved.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 PM
bdickey058
Racer

With new HQ ridetech coilovers and i doubt thats the issue. I just replaced a inner tie rod and front tie rod. Issue is a little better but still way off. Never did it before just started one day. I'm going to bring the vehicle to a chassis guy and see if he can dial in the suspension for me to a make it go away, if he cant then it has to be the tire.!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Pinski 1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same problem and I was running Michelin PSS's stock sizes. Wasted a ton of money on the suspension never thinking it would be the "Michelins" causing my problem. After not having any success with everything I did I finally got a new set of Continentals and the problem was instantly gone !!!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:32 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by bdickey058
Ok here is why and what works to fix this.
the michelins have a soft sidewall this gives better grip and ride.
the rear toe needs to be set at ZERO in order that the tires both roll straigh ahead any otherway and the fight each other
that is what causes this.
now i do not know if this will fix the problem when the shocks are bad
but it does work when everything is right, meaning good bushings, correct tire preassure, and good shocks
Old 08-08-2015, 10:00 AM
bdickey058
Racer

Just had alignment yesterday. Zero toe, still have the issue. I did raise my ridetech coil overs though. Maybe need to not have them maxed out. Going to take it to a chassis guy and see what's up.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:39 AM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been following threads like this on multiple forums (it's not just a Corvette problem) and the issue is ALWAYS the same and ALWAYS related to Michelin tires! 100% of the time after reading through a typical thread eventually it comes out the owner with the "wobble" has Michelin's. To be clear not all owners with Michelins experience this.

Me: (702whp 2010 GS) I have been fighting this and I have two other sets of rims (drag pack and DR's on spare 19" rears)...with these other rears there is NO WOBBLE! Switch back to the Michelin PSS and under hard 3rd and 4th accel the rear end wobbles and it is VERY scary!

Michelin "exchanged" my rears and denied ever hearing of this problem (despite others reporting the issue and a friend reporting the issue directly to a race engineer at COTA). And yes I have another friend locally with his 675whp GS experiencing the EXACT same issue on his low mileage car.

BTW, I was charged $96 to exchange the rears for another set.

What really sucks is I love the wet/dry traction (lateral and straight line) but cannot trust these at high speeds as under accel the car "at times" will wag it's tail like a dog with a bone!!!!!!!!!!!

Going back to Discount this week to work on exchanging for another brand.

Last edited by racerxrick; 11-02-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM
racerxrick
Racer

Michelin death wobble

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rd-gear-2.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-wobble-2.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...se-help-3.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-wobble-3.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...as-to-fix.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-in-my-z.html
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...vetteforum.com

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/9-pr...olently-5.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d-acceleration
http://allautosinfo.com/discussion/3...d-death-wobble
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...Michelin+gt500
Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 PM
txA&M08
Advanced

Thanks for your reply. I don't have this car anymore but this is what I figured was the case. Will be going Toyo R888 on my Viper because of this issue.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

looking back at my old post to this thread...

yes at the time I was on PSS when the car would wobble but yes my suspension (shocks specifically) were SHOT. You could compress them manually by hand that's how blown they were. Kept the PSS, replaced my shocks and voila no more wobble took them easily up to speed.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
darkknight91
Advanced

I've experienced first hand, it's actually a little frightening.. I too am running measly 285 Michelin PSS out back, but I also have an e force so they don't really stand a chance. Hopefully when I put the widebody on and some Toyo R888 it'll be more stable.

Quick Reply: Rear End Wobble WOT in 3rd Gear