C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car Warranty - To Void or Not to Void.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Default New Car Warranty - To Void or Not to Void.

Now that the FRC has been adopted into a good home, I am debating if I should ride out the lengthy GM Warranty and remain bone stock, or get on with what I know will eventually happen anyway.

Just curious if any of my Corvette Brothers or Sisters out there bought a new Corvette and intentionally voided the warranty after purchase by modifying the car. (Cam, Heads, Exhaust, Tune, etc).

If so, do you have any regrets voiding the warranty or are you enjoying the Vette more than in its original trim?

My new C6 Z is superior to the FRC in so many ways, but too quiet for my liking, and well.....it is "slow" when compared to the FRC as well. I want to get that "race car" sound back and wondering if I have what it takes to void the factory warranty and start modding it.

What are your thoughts?

Peace of Mind for the long-haul or Let the Mods Begin?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I bought my 2010 with 9 months warranty remaining on it. I voided the warranty with the tune 5 months into ownership with headers.

You live once, enjoy the car. If you're that worried about modding and blowing a warranty, buy a semi-used car like I did so someone else did the test driving ownership run for me while I get to play with a low mileage unmolested car.

Just make sure you're willing to accept things can break. You have to pay to play.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:28 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

IF I had a new car with a warranty, I would probably wait until it expired before I did anything to void it. I might put an aftermarket exhaust or something simple but nothing to void the warranty.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:23 AM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

When I bought my car new last year, I told myself I was going to wait a full year before doing ANYTHING. That lasted about 2 weeks, when I pulled off the steering wheel airbag to switch around two wires in the paddle shifter to make it into a true F1 type system. Probably a month later, I had a set of headers, CAI, and a tune on it. 2 months after that and I had the entire interior out and put down sound deadening and new speakers - new subs are on the way soon. I have a cat-back going on in a week.

Long story short: these cars are great stock, but to me mods are part of ownership. I enjoy the build process, and LOVE the final product. I'm confident that GM has worked out all the flaws in the powertrain, and I'm really not concerned that my mods will cause any serious failures. Fairly certain that the mods will not affect the warranty on any parts that haven't been touched (AC, etc.). Those are really the only parts I ever worry about anyway.

Speaking of that, I wish they offered an extended warranty on everything BUT the powertrain!!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:03 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I paid it off first and a little over a year from purchase ('13 GS) she got headers yesterday. Cam is in the box in the garage and will be in by Spring. To me, having the car paid for helped in doing the mods.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

500hp is slow to you? If you want more sound just change the exhaust, it won't void the warranty. I personally wouldn't do any significant mods to an LS7 car. If you have engine problems, having mods on the car is going to complicate things and possibly put you on the hook for repairs.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My warranty did not last a year. Intake, headers and Corsa Sports with a LG tune. Have 120,000 miles of smiles with no problems from my mods. Car is so much better than in stock form.

It is always a gamble to mod a new car. Choose who does your work with care and all should be fine. Most problems I have heard about were due to shoddy work.

GL
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 AM
BobMercer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the money to cover any failures that would have been covered by the warranty, then by all means knock yourself out with mods that give you some additional enjoyment of the car. Also consider that the mods may affect how a future buyer will think of your car, positively or negatively.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 AM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Bought a new 2011 Z06. Did some minor mods from day 1. Exhaust, tune, CAI, etc. Don't regret it because in 3 years I haven't had a single problem requiring warranty.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
harli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My neighbor across the street bought a new zr1 started modds the nextweek .
Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO Callaway's package gives you the best of both worlds ...

... modded new Corvette / fully warranteed by GM and Callaway. Big selling point for me when I got their SC606 package.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

My intention from the get go was to void my warranty haha. But Lingenfelter pops a 3yr/36k mile warranty on all their work, so I know I'm getting not only top performance and drivability but also a safety net in case something goes wrong. Plus, these are the guys GM went to when designing the ZR1 for engine performance- so it's pretty safe to say they know their way around the LS engines.

Not to mention I've been barraging Jeff Myers over at the LPE team with questions almost non-stop since I put up the money for us to get underway and he's extended not only his professional knowledge but unfaltering courtesy in getting back to me quickly and pleasantly.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Goaty
500hp is slow to you?
When the new owner of my FRC easily walked me from a 3rd gear roll, yes.

My FRC was putting down 505 rwtq. I don't believe the Z is anywhere near that.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by DillingerRadio
My intention from the get go was to void my warranty haha. But Lingenfelter pops a 3yr/36k mile warranty on all their work, so I know I'm getting not only top performance and drivability but also a safety net in case something goes wrong. Plus, these are the guys GM went to when designing the ZR1 for engine performance- so it's pretty safe to say they know their way around the LS engines.

Not to mention I've been barraging Jeff Myers over at the LPE team with questions almost non-stop since I put up the money for us to get underway and he's extended not only his professional knowledge but unfaltering courtesy in getting back to me quickly and pleasantly.
Good suggestion.

I've heard many good things about LPE. And I am sure their workmanship and warranty come with a premium price as well.

Will check them out. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Good suggestion.

I've heard many good things about LPE. And I am sure their workmanship and warranty come with a premium price as well.

Will check them out. Thanks.
Their 670hp/565lbs-ft tq package, the one I am getting, is $13.8k installed. I added a full exhaust (xo and axle back), a new suspension (new sway bars, new coil overs), harmonic balancer, new radiator and oil cooler, the badge package, and all that installed is around $25k if I've done my maths right (I haven't seen the final price yet, just chipped out the half which was around 10k initially [I've requested a few additional things since we got underway that he courteously obliged me without having to send more money so we'll see what the final bill is in July when I pick her up]).

If you're concerned about having previous mods- they work with any/all mods already installed on car when they receive it. So you won't lose anything if you've already thrown on a new exhaust or what have you (unless you want to). Additionally, if you think all that stuff I got is necessary, one hundred percent wrong. Think of the base supercharger package like going from base C6 (or GS or Z06) to ZR1. You lose nothing, gain a lot, and get the same peace of mind with their warranty and outstanding workmanship.

[EDIT]
P.S. They don't just throw a supercharger on it- if you check their website you'll find they upgrade a TON of stuff in your engine in the process to insure 100% reliability, power delivery, and durability.

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 02-17-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
IF I had a new car with a warranty, I would probably wait until it expired before I did anything to void it. I might put an aftermarket exhaust or something simple but nothing to void the warranty.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Wyndridge3
IMO Callaway's package gives you the best of both worlds ...

... modded new Corvette / fully warranteed by GM and Callaway. Big selling point for me when I got their SC606 package.

As well as Edelbroch (option)

Get notified of new replies

To New Car Warranty - To Void or Not to Void.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I wouldn't mod the new LS7 unless you go with a respected company that covers it for a few years such as Ligenfelter or Callaway.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
As well as Edelbroch (option)
That is false information, as Callaway has the only warranty which covers the powertrain, supplementing the GM Factory Powertrain warranty.

This isn't some worthless third party warranty, either. Read the fine print and exclusions on the others. Callaway is peerless in power, quality, reliability, drivability - and powertrain warranty
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
That is false information, as Callaway has the only warranty which covers the powertrain, supplementing the GM Factory Powertrain warranty.

This isn't some worthless third party warranty, either. Read the fine print and exclusions on the others. Callaway is peerless in power, quality, reliability, drivability - and powertrain warranty
Callaway gives you the best of both worlds......

Quick Reply: New Car Warranty - To Void or Not to Void.