C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Naive fur brained wolfdogs..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TarHeelDon
put a couple coats of Zaino on the battery, that should protect it and keep the power from leaking out!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Optima Batteries....
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,503 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

two weeks max in my car and that is with a normal battery - learned my lesson the hard way and finally bought a tender too
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dvilin
Drivers manual I believe states 3 weeks sitting idle is about it, you can expect battery to be dead.
I have the Deltan Battery Tender Plus and it so easy to hook up I just got in the habit of hooking it up whenever I am done driving for the day.
Hope it all works out for you and the battery is fine.
different brand, but I do the same as dave above. it just works better overall fr. my "buttdyno". sorry to hear about your troubles "wolfy" but using that maintainer should make it a thing of the past.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Of course he did, that's GM's official story. GM told the original owner of my Vette that dead battery syndrome is normal for Vettes and that he should get a tender. He refused to accept that BS. It's much easier and cheaper to tell people to buy a tender than to fix a problem, and GM has done a very good job convincing Vette owners that it's endemic to Vettes and can't be fixed. They lie.
I've been told that; so, what WAS the problem that was fixed on the car to permanently make it permanently "start-able," for lack of a better word?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:58 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dumb question then: what do dealers do when they have corvettes sitting on the lot for months before being sold? do they disconnect the batteries? Do they start and run them? Do they put a trickle charger on them? Do they have a problem ....or is On Star a real drainer, since the OS is not activated on an unsold vehicle....
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tenders

Originally Posted by TarHeelDon
put a couple coats of Zaino on the battery, that should protect it and keep the power from leaking out!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM
BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Wolfdog, I think lots of cars on the lot have dead batteries. They push them into the garage and charge them, or jump them with the push truck.
I have my 2010 on the battery tender all winter long, not so much during the 5/6 months of summer driving. I don't think it sets for more than three days during the summer.
It has been very cold here in MI. After one on our cold snaps, I backed out of the garage and hit the closer. Nothing I had to pull back in the drive. Right up to the door to get the opener to work. The battery in the garage door opener was near dead because of the cold.
My 4 Runner battery lasted 13 years before I replaced it. By far the best battery I've ever owned. It never had a tender on it. Since I retired and stopped driving everyday. I killed it, with those long cold days and nights and not going anywhere .The guy at the Auto Zone store said he loves retires. They make the best customers! He had me pegged, so you just drive to the store a mile or two away and don't drive it for long enough to charge the battery.

Last edited by BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.; 02-09-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM
anarchy67
Instructor

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
dumb question then: what do dealers do when they have corvettes sitting on the lot for months before being sold? do they disconnect the batteries? Do they start and run them? Do they put a trickle charger on them? Do they have a problem ....or is On Star a real drainer, since the OS is not activated on an unsold vehicle....
My theory has always been that the keyless entry system is a drain on the battery since it is always active and searching for a signal. I have used optimas and wal mart batteries and got about the same results with both. 5 years is a battery's life expectancy but i ve had them last much longer and much less. I dont think the dealerships have issues much because they are new batteries and since they are all too familiar with the verts battery eating habits they run them once in a while.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Is coke better than baking soda to clean terminals. my tender is causing some corrosion
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 PM
anarchy67
Instructor

Originally Posted by PA_BLUE_C6
Is coke better than baking soda to clean terminals. my tender is causing some corrosion
all baking soda does is neutralize the acid. Battery terminal cleaner can be found at your local napa store. there is also a terminal protectant that can be applied following the cleaning to stop this issue in the future.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Duragold ... can sit for a month and still start and go
Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

FYI, a Glass Matt/AGM battery takes a special battery tender/charger to maintain it.

If you are using a standard lead cell battery tender that does not have a AGM setting, it's going to kill the AGM battery pretty quick.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
Every time I'm at a dealer I see one of those portable jump starters sitting in the corner somewhere.......
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

took the vette to the dealer today and we did a complete check on the yellow top, its in super shape, nothing wrong with the battery and if something does turn up, i can get it replaced under warranty in a heart beat.,. and my tender does have the agm setting that i bought, and has trickle, slow and fast charge, and 100 amp setting for jump starting. Alls well. Mother nature just kicked booty, thats all, and me letting it sit that long in single digits, with the infamous CorvetteDraw.

Quick Reply: Naive fur brained wolfdogs..........