C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which octane gas with Diablo tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM
thomaswat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which octane gas with Diablo tune ?

With the Diablo tuner I can tune my '12 base vert for either 91 or 93 octane, so when I take a cross country trip where most of the eastern half the country has 93 octane and the western half has 91 octane, which tune should I use? Has anyone with the Diablo tune made the trip and which did you use ? What were the good and bad ?
We plan on taking this trip next spring so I'd just like to hear pro's or con's.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaswat
With the Diablo tuner I can tune my '12 base vert for either 91 or 93 octane, so when I take a cross country trip where most of the eastern half the country has 93 octane and the western half has 91 octane, which tune should I use? Has anyone with the Diablo tune made the trip and which did you use ? What were the good and bad ?
We plan on taking this trip next spring so I'd just like to hear pro's or con's.
91 octane (just to be safe) you can aways get some bad gas as you travel.

I have found that the two tunes are very close in performance at the track in my car and I don't even modify the A6 transmission tune which you can do with the Intune.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-01-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 PM
thomaswat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
91 octane (just to be safe) you can aways get some bad gas as you travel.

I have found that the two tunes are very close in performance at the track in my car and I don't even modify the A6 transmission tune which you can do with the Intune.
Thanks for the response. I have the Intune so from what your are saying the 91 octane tune will be fine. ( wonder how that will work at higher altitudes ) Have you ever used the A6 mods ? I got almost no instructions with my programmer. It doesn't say if you do a certain thing---this or that will happen, or if you do this or that, you should also do this. I called the tech line once and got a "I'd rather be doing something else" attitude. I called just before Christmas so he could have just been real busy. Maybe I'll call back and try again. Did you experience any difference at the track between the stock tune and the Intune ?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take the tune out and you are safe.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaswat
Thanks for the response. I have the Intune so from what your are saying the 91 octane tune will be fine. ( wonder how that will work at higher altitudes ) Have you ever used the A6 mods ? I got almost no instructions with my programmer. It doesn't say if you do a certain thing---this or that will happen, or if you do this or that, you should also do this. I called the tech line once and got a "I'd rather be doing something else" attitude. I called just before Christmas so he could have just been real busy. Maybe I'll call back and try again. Did you experience any difference at the track between the stock tune and the Intune ?
My A6 with just the "canned" 91 or 93 tune will break the tires loose on the 1/2 & 2/3 shift quite often at the track, so why would I want it even firmer than what has already been added into the "canned" tunes. I set all my GS "Bolt-on" records with just a "canned" tune (beating up on the other cars that have those expensive, professional, "dyno tunes").

Yes, I have tried the various transmission tunes and if the track is not super sticky it has gotten a little hairy for me on the shifts with the traction control turned off. They say if your spinning, your "not" winning.

Lastly the moment I installed the DiabloSport tune and went "WOT" from a stand still my butt dyno felt it right away, especially on the shifts. Normal driving it feels normal to me. Yes, my car picked up at the track with just the tune.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-02-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 PM
NY3quartrs5-oh
Racer

Wherever I go there's 93 gas so I just keep it on that, but if I were you I'd throw on the 91 tune and run 91 octane, then change it back hen you get back..
Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Bagman0
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the 91 octane tune into my car yesterday. We have 92 octane gas in Oregon, and clear to boot. I'm going with a custom tune due to my add ons and not even going to tempt fate with the 93 tune.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 734 Likes on 474 Posts

The Diablo tune is for 93 octane. Once you reach some of the western states, i.e. CA - 91 octane gas is only available. Just take the Intune with you and flash the 91 tune when you reach our crappy gas. I keep the Intune in the glove all the time and take it out periodically to update it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

just curious...when you swap from the 93 tune to the 91 tune can I just leave the tranny tune as is or will I need to change it along with the 91 tune? I running the diablo tune with the firm shifts setting.

Get notified of new replies

To Which octane gas with Diablo tune ?

Quick Reply: Which octane gas with Diablo tune ?