C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 427 motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Everyone thinks their car is reliable until they have a serious problem with it. It is very important you let a car warm up properly. That is why I keep the oil temp gauge in the HUD on mine.

I know one 427 owner that was stock but had a engine failure at around 12k miles. GM didn't tell the dealer to change the oil tank system also so the 2nd motor failed 1500 miles later. I much rather have the engine fail under warranty than out of warranty. What will most owners do if their 427 engine fails at say the 61 month mark? At that point the car will be at least 5 years old and needing a $14k or more repair.

Some LS3 owners have had issues with harmonic balancers. I never heard of one failing taking out the motor though. The one 427 mentioned here had both heads have problems with the rods. That should give you a clue that there is an issue since the heads are not connected. If they are bad rods then GM should just replace them before the engine blows. That would save them money unless they are trying to use up all the LS7s that are left.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pmartjr
I posted the following on another LS7 engine thread some time ago. It still applies. My post: "According to the Chevy engineers, at the height of the problem from 2008-2011, the failure rate was 6.5 units out of 1000. That is .0065%! If you read every Chicken Little post that chimes in on CF you would indeed swear that all are bound to fail. GM still provides a 100,000 mile five year warranty on the entire drivetrain. That includes the engine. Kind of like the LS2/3 crankshaft harmonic balancer/pulley. Do they really all fail? If you follow the posts on CF you would think so."

All I can say is mine is just about at 10K miles and I have had no problem whatsoever. I am very deliberate on how I warm the engine up. I monitor the oil temperature and do not go over 1500 RPM until the engine gets to 150 degrees. I never put the hammer down unless she is fully warm which for mine is around 195 degrees and up. I think it is fully feasible that some of the valve guide problems could be from lack of proper lubrication when the engine is cold. Some people just drive completely normal even when first starting off. I could be wasting my time but it doesn't take that long and when the temp is up I know the lubrication system is working as it should throughout the engine.
OK, I can't stand it, 6.5 out of 1000 is .65% not .0065%. It's 100 times .0065%. Even at that I personally think it's better than 10% have valve issues after 20K miles. I know chicken little but I've personally had 2 out of 2 Z06s with bad valves and I think that there's a problem now with one of the replacement engines. So maybe I'm just paranoid
Old 07-30-2014, 07:34 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LFZ
its like 1% or less...this forum with its usual clueless members likes to over dramatize it as if it was some epidemic issue.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
OK, I can't stand it, 6.5 out of 1000 is .65% not .0065%. It's 100 times .0065%. Even at that I personally think it's better than 10% have valve issues after 20K miles. I know chicken little but I've personally had 2 out of 2 Z06s with bad valves and I think that there's a problem now with one of the replacement engines. So maybe I'm just paranoid
I do stand corrected. It is indeed .65%. When you divide 6.5 by 1000 you get .0065 and I mistakenly put that down as the percentage. My bad, but I'm a little confused with your reply. Are you saying that you "know" Chicken Little personally or are you saying you are "no" Chicken Little? Regardless, I can understand you skepticism concerning the engine issues. You have had more than your share it would appear. FWIW, I had lunch with a good friend that replaced his 427 convertible with a C7 convertible and with less than 100 miles on his new C7 he had a valve spring break. Not sure how he didn't suck the valve but they installed a new spring and he has had no more problems. He did say his dealer told him they have had three serious issues so far with C7's in their service department. Should we all make the assumption there is a serious issue with the LT1 or accept it for the rare occurrence it is? Why don't we admit these cars are often driven pretty hard and not everyone warms their engines up properly with the knowledge of the harm not doing so can do?
Old 05-31-2021, 12:42 PM
bakerout
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excessive valve to valve guide clearance

[The head problem continued after 2011 because I'm in the process of sending my 2013 heads for refurbising. One of the intake valves clearance is 20 thousandths - spec is 2.5 to 3.5. Didn't bother to check the other head.

QUOTE=funz06;1587399632]I am curious------were all of the above four cars you alluded to 427's? And if so, were any of them either modified or tracked at all? Would your tuner be able to ask the 427 owners to post their experiences on the Forum, especially in the 427 threads in the 'sticky' section? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-31-2021, 01:09 PM
bakerout
Heel & Toe

MY 2013 is completely stock and never tracked or raced. As far a I know none of the other ones were ever raced. Check out You tube - there is a plethora of videos of LS7s with valve clearance issue that were pretty much babied!!!! ......"talk about a hand grenade with the pin pulled"!!!!!
Old 06-01-2021, 01:30 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The comments about value and collectable, etc are rather humorous. Value is in the eye of the beholder! The value of vettes seems to go up the longer a post keeps going. It is like a comedy club routine to me. These are cars not people or works of art. I had a 2003 C5 for 10 years I got a good trade in price for my 2013 C6. I ordered both cars and have the paper work, build sheets window sticker dealer order form etc. Nothing made the value any higher.

I am the original and only owner of my 1968 Camaro 327, 4 bl, 4 sp, Delco AM/FM radio. I have the window sticker, hand written dealer order, etc. etc. I paid $2835 for a $3200 car. It is now 53 years old and restored totally stock, with 206K on it. It is a true collectable, but I could not retire and live off the sale money, any how it is not for sale. One does not make money off of cars increasing in value, except maybe a 87 Buick GNX, or a Yenko chevy, or a hemi cuda.

I say have the dealer pit a new engine in. Drive it enjoy it live a happy life and quit worrying about the questionable decrease in value!
Old 06-03-2021, 12:37 AM
bakerout
Heel & Toe

It was my understanding these engine, LS7 427 were hand built and I was real upset after finding out I was driving a time bomb that I had previously consider bullet proof.
The LS7 seems to have a plethora of issues the lay dormant until they decide to show their hand!!!!.
The following users liked this post:
norton63 (07-09-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:57 AM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bakerout
It was my understanding these engine, LS7 427 were hand built and I was real upset after finding out I was driving a time bomb that I had previously consider bullet proof.
The LS7 seems to have a plethora of issues the lay dormant until they decide to show their hand!!!!.
They were hand built........with mediocre parts. The LS7 is a great engine. One just needs to have the known issues addressed with replacement using quality aftermarket parts and then proper routine inspections afterwards.

It’s a high-revving powerful motor with a great deal of torque and hp. I absolutely love it.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 214 Posts

Amazing how a 7 year old thread can come back to life.
USA1 427 (07-09-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 03:57 PM
bakerout
Heel & Toe

It just seem real disturbing that we as customers have to be financially responsible to redesign the LS7, 427 when GM knew about the mediocre hand builders and parts. Not much to say in support of 'made in the USA' !
Old 07-08-2021, 02:17 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
Amazing how a 7 year old thread can come back to life.
Not so amazing given the title of the thread and the fact there are still plenty of 427s out there.

Frankly I was considering exactly this car; the Anniversary Arctic white version.

I can just imagine paying almost a 50% premium for the privilege and shortly thereafter having to pay $20K for a new engine.

Given this thread I'll now take a hard pass. Thanks to the original posters.

And yes, I understand the thread would have still been accessible but it's nice to hear some current posts about the car anyway.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:31 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,806 Likes on 4,237 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by legacypgmr
Not so amazing given the title of the thread and the fact there are still plenty of 427s out there.

Frankly I was considering exactly this car; the Anniversary Arctic white version.

I can just imagine paying almost a 50% premium for the privilege and shortly thereafter having to pay $20K for a new engine.

Given this thread I'll now take a hard pass. Thanks to the original posters.

And yes, I understand the thread would have still been accessible but it's nice to hear some current posts about the car anyway.
Just pay $5k for a quality set of aftermarket heads and then don’t worry about it. The funny part of threads like this is when people whole-heartedly believe anything GM says about parts/component failures and then regurgitate it as truth without understanding from where GM cherry-picks their stats. Heck they’re doing it right now again with the C8 DCT failures, “ oh it’s only a very minute %”, yet every day there’s a new post from an owner with a DCT issue.

Just like the LS1 & LS6 burned oil (that GM denied), the LS7 has issues with valve guides and rods, the LT4 had overheating issues, the C8 has DCT and over the air software update issues. At least with the C5 & C7 GM worked to correct the problem and in the final year of that gen appeared to fix it, but they just kept denying the LS7 issues and never came up with a solution.

Last edited by JABCAT; 07-08-2021 at 07:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
Fed Up (07-09-2021), sd45t2 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 06:12 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Original owner of my 427 Anniversary (white one). So far, not one issue. Legacy, if you're basing your decision on forum posts by half a dozen guys out of all the thousands that were built, then good luck. ANY car can have issues. Even brand new ones. It's a crap shoot every time you get behind the wheel of any car. But hey, it's your $$.
The following 2 users liked this post by USA1 427:
cadyshac (07-09-2021), norton63 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 08:23 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Original owner of my 427 Anniversary (white one). So far, not one issue. Legacy, if you're basing your decision on forum posts by half a dozen guys out of all the thousands that were built, then good luck. ANY car can have issues. Even brand new ones. It's a crap shoot every time you get behind the wheel of any car. But hey, it's your $$.
Couldn't agree more, you're missing out on one hell of a car.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id buy an engine with a warranty replacement, heck its newer.

in 20 yrs if there is a vette its going to make any current late model appear as a covered wagon in tech speed etc.

I think your wasting your time looking at it as an investment. Its a mass produced Chevy..yeah a neat one but still.
What a joke the problems they have had with SO many yr vettes going back generations. Engines...valve springs, bearings electronics etc.
Why is it chevys flagship sports car has more issues than any other model made?
Old 07-11-2021, 07:18 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by cv67
Id buy an engine with a warranty replacement, heck its newer.

in 20 yrs if there is a vette its going to make any current late model appear as a covered wagon in tech speed etc.

I think your wasting your time looking at it as an investment. Its a mass produced Chevy..yeah a neat one but still.
What a joke the problems they have had with SO many yr vettes going back generations. Engines...valve springs, bearings electronics etc.
Why is it chevys flagship sports car has more issues than any other model made?
Because it's lighter, more powerful and is pushing GM's tech to their limits. Lots of stuff debuts in the Vette years before it shows up in other models. We are guinea pigs.
Jason71 (07-11-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 427 motor issues

Old 10-06-2021, 01:00 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
While I'm not suggesting your car is the anomaly, this is certainly NOT a concern about "half a dozen guys".

I called a premium shop here in SoFla to get their opinion and the guy immediately knew what I was referring to. There's been class action suits against GM about it. That certainly involves far more than a "half dozen guys".

Within the warranty period it would be replaced under warranty. That period is now long gone. But I sure love the look of the 2013 White/Blue Anniversary Vert.

I have a 2020 Audi RS3. Never read anything about problems with that engine. The car itself ? Sure, the driver's side window squeaks a little going up and down.

My car ? Sure enough, after awhile the driver's window squeaks a little going up or down.

Never owned a Vette and I've got the bug as if I don't get one soon I never will.

Maybe I'll just shoot for the 2013 GS ? Or a GS with some warranty left ?

Or maybe the "mini-R8", an Audi TT-RS.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:47 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

No one posts how great their LS7 is, you only see " my engine ate a valve & destroyed my engine" The million dollar question is what percentage of LS7 engines have the valve guide issue? Is it 5%, 10%, 15% ? who knows but I own one & love it...it's the bad boy of small blocks
corvettekent (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:53 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
No one posts how great their LS7 is, you only see " my engine ate a valve & destroyed my engine" The million dollar question is what percentage of LS7 engines have the valve guide issue? Is it 5%, 10%, 15% ? who knows but I own one & love it...it's the bad boy of small blocks
My LS7 is great, that’s two of us anyone else?
The following 2 users liked this post by cadyshac:
449er (10-07-2021), corvettekent (10-07-2021)

Quick Reply: 2013 427 motor issues