C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 427 motor issues

Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
So you had a change of heart regarding the LS7, because of less than 1% failure rate?
The problem is no one knows the actual failure rate. No one ever hears about LS1,2 or 3 failures and those produced numbers dwarf the LS7, but we hear about that one. Like it or not that's the way it is. You always hear bad before good. Is it warranted..who knows.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I kind of had my eye on a left over 60th anniversary at a local dealer ... but I'm a little hesitant after reading the issues with the LS7 ..
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95PoloGreen
Does anyone know what percentage of LS7's have had this problem? Is there anyway to find out? To listen to the complaints it sounds like the problem has claimed a 1/3 or more of them which I doubt is true.
According to the Chevy engineers, at the height of the problem from 2008-2011, the failure rate was 6.5 units out of 1000. That is .0065%! If you read every Chicken Little post that chimes in on CF you would indeed swear that all are bound to fail. GM still provides a 100,000 mile five year warranty on the entire drivetrain. That includes the engine. Kind of like the LS2/3 crankshaft harmonic balancer/pulley. Do they really all fail? If you follow the posts on CF you would think so.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
I kind of had my eye on a left over 60th anniversary at a local dealer ... but I'm a little hesitant after reading the issues with the LS7 ..
Don't let the few doomsday folks----and they are the same few that show up every time this old issue comes up----ruin your chance for some great enjoyment. Folks that have a 427 love it----and these are folks that have had ZO6's GS's, etc........ GM had a bulletin on this-------I seem to recall there was a problem with one sub-contractor and the problem was rectified back in 2011. This engine is the same one they are putting and showcasing for the the Camaro. The 1% figure mentioned INCLUDES THE KNOWN PROBLEM CASES THEY HAD WITH THE SUB-CONTRACTOR several years ago. For peace of mind, call around to several major corvette dealers and ask them if they have had any more problems with this engine than that of other corvettes----I did before I got my ZO6 and the 2 major ones I spoke with looked at me like I was crazy--they hadn't heard of "the" problem. I guess it is like sex, a few folks catch a STD, and some expect everyone should give up sex forever...................now, I am not saying cruising in the 427 is like sex, but..........
Old 01-30-2014, 06:28 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I read as much on the ls7 as I could before buying. many of the dropped valve problems occurred on modified cars but not all. of the modded cars a bunch were tracked.

the issue is said to have been fixed, the issue in this post is the second I have heard of on things other than dropped valve. the first was also a bottom end, caused by a failed oil pressure bypass I think it was. so this is two ls7 bottom ends I have heard of.

yup, sky is falling, but so far not in my world. problems? sure. anyting is ubject to problems, but the old interweb magnifies them
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I would prefer the new engine approach as opposed to one that has gone thru a major rebuilt, if it were even possible in your situation.

Documentation of the warranty replacement engine should resolve any concern relative to collector value in the distant future.

Best Wishes,

GSRANDY
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Collectible !?!?!? There are so many fast OEM GM vettes being produced nowadays, none of them are going to be collectibles( C6 Z06, C6 427 convertible,C6 ZR1, C7 Z06 etc). Forgeddiboutit. Enjoy today. You very well may not be alive 30 years from now.I figured out a long time ago, I don't "save" my fun cars for the next guy.
Never going to happen, unless your Z is the last 10 Zs in the world.

Have GM replace the motor, and call it a day. You have a warranty, and thats what theyre for.

Originally Posted by 95PoloGreen
Does anyone know what percentage of LS7's have had this problem? Is there anyway to find out? To listen to the complaints it sounds like the problem has claimed a 1/3 or more of them which I doubt is true.
Nope..No way to find out about dropped valves since either A.) a performance shop did the fix, B.) The owner fixed it themselves or C.) GM did the actual fix.

Oh and who ever said that the issue was in the 08-11...Thats wrong. Its on all 427's 06' to current years (maybe current years)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe Bad
I have a 2013 427, Last week the motor started making a clicking noise, I took it to the dealer and after several days the dealer informed me that both heads had spring issues and they needed to replace the heads. Yesterday when they fired the motor and the main bearing spun and the engine came apart. They informed me today it is beyond repair and they must replace the entire motor. This was a collectable to me and now will become a non matching numbers car. Frankly I don't want a non perfect car, you guys know what I mean.
So what are my options, it only has 4500 miles and has never seen water.
simple.get it fixed and trade it.you will never be happy with a new very exspense car that has had the motor replaced.i know I wouldn't.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:49 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

technically speaking he will take a hit since the car does not have the engine it was born with... doesn't matter how much paper work he has its not the original engine.... there are plenty of c2, c3's etc. with CE replacement blocks and they do not bring as much as those with original engines.... now that being said, IF he keeps the car till it's truly a collectible then I would push for a replacement car, which is doubtful at this point. Not a good situation for him other than the offer to replace the engine ...
Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM
red4twenty7
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow427
I think it has been about 162.5% so far, at least.............that is what I deduced from the doomsday threads and responses over the years from the folks that say they would never buy an LS7, but yet, having owned a ZO6 for a few years and being in a club with a half dozen ZO6's---where none of us ever had any issues nor knew of anyone that had issues (and we would ask at various shows we attended), I was stupid enough to buy a 427..........I just guess I shouldn't have believed the big corvette dealers in NE when they said they hadn't had any more issues with ZO6's than they had with all the other corvettes......I'll never learn. Now I am stuck with a gorgeous 427...........
A MAN and I am right there with you, except I own a lousy red one, that I actually love and plan to drive for years to come.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 PM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
I really think Barrett-Jackson and pro wrestling have a lot in common!

Tom
I will be the first to admit, i watch scottsdale every january......probably bc its the dead of winter and nothing else is going on. The auction is a three ring circus, with all of the "charity" cars that they do, however i do enjoy looking at the cars and listening to the announcers. Some of them really know their stuff.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Not a change of heart but it's hard to ignore the somewhat frequent rate of these kind of threads, even with the new 2013's. I cant recall ever reading one thread about a stock LS3 having these kind of problems.

The pos harmonic balancer on my car gives me enough to worry about..
Fair enough, I guess we chose our own poison(s)!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 AM
netacoma2003
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moe Bad
I have a 2013 427, Last week the motor started making a clicking noise, it only has 4500 miles and has never seen water.
I wonder if the "drive it like you stole it" theory vs the "pamper it" theory would cause these parts to seat and therefore wear correctly?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Silver 2008 C6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013 427
Oh man, sorry to hear about this. I went through something very similar. You can go through my thread if you like...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nd-belief.html
The whole experience sucks, but I have been happy with the replaced engine, like nothing ever happened. I hope you have a good dealer to work with. PM me if you want.
Hey Jack, you coming Sat.?
Harvey
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM
gearbreaker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

collectable, that's funny

you'll be dead and long gone before it might become collectable.

now you can just drive it and enjoy it like you should be doing anyway even in the rain.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

OP had 1 post..post a pic OP of your 427...LMMFAO..got to love the internet...Chicken little's came out in farce ooops force....
Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 AM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will gladly take your non matching numbers Z off your hands for half of what you paid for it ... actually maybe a bit less...

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 427 motor issues

Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Just when you thought buying a 2013 will be free of the valve problem, now it seems you got to worry about this rod out of spec problem which is the oil pump to get clogged by the Ti shavings. One person in this thread and my local tuner here told me of 3 guys who just had their engine seized up in the last month or so. All less than 5k miles
Old 07-19-2014, 05:58 PM
red4twenty7
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow427
Don't let the few doomsday folks----and they are the same few that show up every time this old issue comes up----ruin your chance for some great enjoyment. Folks that have a 427 love it----and these are folks that have had ZO6's GS's, etc........ GM had a bulletin on this-------I seem to recall there was a problem with one sub-contractor and the problem was rectified back in 2011. This engine is the same one they are putting and showcasing for the the Camaro. The 1% figure mentioned INCLUDES THE KNOWN PROBLEM CASES THEY HAD WITH THE SUB-CONTRACTOR several years ago. For peace of mind, call around to several major corvette dealers and ask them if they have had any more problems with this engine than that of other corvettes----I did before I got my ZO6 and the 2 major ones I spoke with looked at me like I was crazy--they hadn't heard of "the" problem. I guess it is likeple sex, a few folks catch a STD, and some expect everyone should give up sex forever...................now, I am not saying cruising in the 427 is like sex, but..........
But it is the next best thing right Jim.
I love my 427 and I also have not ran into anyone with a LS7 that has had any problems, but anything mechanical can break at anytime.
It may also have something to do with how hard people drive their cars also.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:02 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_427_Vert
Just when you thought buying a 2013 will be free of the valve problem, now it seems you got to worry about this rod out of spec problem which is the oil pump to get clogged by the Ti shavings. One person in this thread and my local tuner here told me of 3 guys who just had their engine seized up in the last month or so. All less than 5k miles
I am curious------were all of the above four cars you alluded to 427's? And if so, were any of them either modified or tracked at all? Would your tuner be able to ask the 427 owners to post their experiences on the Forum, especially in the 427 threads in the 'sticky' section? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 427 motor issues