C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally paid for C6 thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by flange
as far as these high yielding cash accounts, plese enlighten us all. I have been looking at all kinds of options, and cannot find them except for longterm money.
When you find something that makes good return on money that is not long term...let us all know.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
When you find something that makes good return on money that is not long term...let us all know.
Can someone tell us what makes good money long term and is guaranteed?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Good luck with that. Probably a cd and they're in the tank....but guaranteed. Nothing good in life is guaranteed.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Land with mineral rights, if you buy in the right area. Land in general will yield a good long term return most anyplace except for maybe Detroit.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How difficult is removing the dash? I've checked about having a DSV interior installed but haven't been able find anyone within 600 miles to do it.
IMO do not do it. The dash will shrink over time. Unless you go with full Alcantara which will not shrink. DSV will do the dash and any dealer should be willing to swap out the dash. But, it is a VERY expensive mod to do
Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

there are products right now the offer a whopping three percent with a small bonus at inception. eight year buy in, minimum investment only 10k. meh

there is an older product, pre 2009 that offered guaranteed six percent with minimum buy in at only 100k for eight years.

cd's, lucky to see one percent for a three year. money market account, minimum buy in 400k no term, essentially liquid, .18%.
none of these are making soo much money.

there are some mlp's which should yield well, but aren't guaranteed.

I got lots of money to invest, but cannot seem to find these short term investments everyone raves about which do better
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Crowhater
Land with mineral rights, if you buy in the right area. Land in general will yield a good long term return most anyplace except for maybe Detroit.
also known as "buy real estate and wait". factor in taxes though, and also capital gains at the end. timing needs to be good for this strategy. selling land in 2011 was a bit tough.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
It's all in the numbers and those numbers definitely don't lie when it comes to financing vs cash buy.
My neighbor and friend Pete at work has bought over 2.5 million dollars worth of cars mostly at Mecum and privately in the past 2 years with cash. He pay's his rent in 2 spaces where he stores his cars upfront with cash each year. When he bought too many cars to fit in the spaces he bought the building across the parking lot with cash and refurbished the entire building converting it into a private car showroom / museum with cash. When I say cash I mean he writes checks for everything. Do you think for a minute it matters to Pete the amount of opportunity cost there is because he pays cash for everything?
He has done well for himself in his career in healthcare privately owning over 50 retirement and assisted living centers. He obviously understood the benefits of leverage in his professional career but now that he has moved on there is no reason for him to finance anything.

Not everyone here is Pete but some may be and my point is that everyone has different situations, life circumstances and for many paying cash is great. Someone older I would hope pays cash for as much as they can because they don't have time on their side if they had that money invested in stocks and the market were to correct significantly. Many of them don't have the time to make it back. Do I think it's prudent that a 30 year old with a newborn use all their cash to buy a depreciating asset like a new Corvette without having life insurance, a will and having begun to assemble a proper investment portfolio? Of course not. I would rather have them do that though than maxing out their credit cards on eating out, other intangibles and a pile of designer baby clothes.

Lastly when you're talking about Corvettes you're not talking about any money. The cars or the amounts of money a person would make if they financed them and invested the $$ is fairly insignificant. None of it is true quality of life changing amounts of $$. Not when just a year of college costs more than my wife's GS lol! I have a business colleague that pays cash for his 3 girls to go to college "at the same time". He would get a little raise if all he had to do was pay cash for a Corvette every year. In addition if someone is paying real money for say 40-50 cars like Pete they probably don't need any business or investment advice from anyone.

This isn't a stock market forum, this isn't a real estate investment forum, it's a Corvette forum. As I said before it's very cool that these folks can afford and enjoy cars they love and I wish them continued success.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Wouldn't it be better paying cash when buying a used car from a private party vs financing because of the high APR and interest rate? If buying a car from the dealer and financing through them is more understanding because they offer a lower rate.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 PM
my1stvette98
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold our 98 vette and was able to handle the balance with cash.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by icyteddy
Wouldn't it be better paying cash when buying a used car from a private party vs financing because of the high APR and interest rate? If buying a car from the dealer and financing through them is more understanding because they offer a lower rate.
Not necessarily. Low rates can be had depending on year and acceptable credit score.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember Nothing IS GUARANTEED in investing although the amount of return is directly tied to the risk. I like to live a little dangerously in the market and if you know how to read between the lines ( thats all the market is ) you can be very successful. Everybody's needs are different and some just want 3-4 % returns with no risk and others alot more but are willing to risk. It's all up to you. When the market bottomed out in '08 that was like taking candy from a baby. Did you actually think it was going to stay there? How high did you think gold was gonna go? All these situations are reading between the lines. I shorted gold last year and when it dumped ( that was a easy one ) I made 23%. I have been in the stock market indexes since it dumped in 08 and have made very good money since then. Have I ever lost? VERY FEW TIMES but what I have always made dwarfed what I ever lost. Right now I'm pretty much holding back as I don't have much insight or feel on what's going to happen in the markets. But I do have some other small investments that I make a small fortune on that are indigenous to my neighborhood. I'm sure you can read between the lines on that one.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 913 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
Land is so low in Detroit, you can make money on it if you hold on to it long enough (this is why the big shots around here are on a land buying spree, Dan Gilbert has bought 25 properties in the last 18 months).
Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Paid for BEFORE R8C

May, 2006:
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andy82
Totally mine - like all my toys!

Ditto on your comment Andy. Wrote the ck. for the 427 when I bought it.
Btw. Nice Car!
Here's mine
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

when their paid for they are easier to trade for a new 1.2012 centennial edition 3lt was $65200 out the door.put $26,000 down.paid $450 for a year and took the money out of 401k to pay it off.my car in the garage looks a lot better than numbers on a piece of paper.also no crook banker or politician can push a button and make my car disapear like they can and have done in the stock market.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I bought this with 1,200 miles in 2005 from a local dealer paid cash upon delivery. Also paid cash for the previous 97 and 98 Corvette's that I had. Borrowed money on a 69 Vert years ago and on an 87 Corvette. I dont mind payments but would rather have them paid for.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 PM
bothred
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Both red, both paid. See avatar.

Last edited by bothred; 01-29-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Ordered mine new, and it was paid for when the Dealer handed me the keys.

Search this Thread