C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 AM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Default First oil change

My 2013 GS has approx 2000 miles on it it was built Jan 2013 . It is showing 70 percent oil use left . Should I change the oil now or wait a little while . I live in the South and drive it at least once a week . Sorry for the double post I added to a thread by mistake .
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmd937
My 2013 GS has approx 2000 miles on it it was built Jan 2013 . It is showing 70 percent oil use left . Should I change the oil now or wait a little while . I live in the South and drive it at least once a week . Sorry for the double post I added to a thread by mistake .
I would run it down to 20 - 30 % , others say at least once a year no matter the miles . It won't hurt either way .
Old 01-26-2014, 08:43 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always refer to your owners manual for specifics on oil change requirements.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with the two previous posts. However, there are some on this forum that recommend changing oil in a new Vette engine for the first time after only a few thousand miles. The theory is that there are metal particles in the oil of a new engine and changing it early will prolong engine life. I went ahead and did mine at 1,000 miles just to play it safe. Now, I'm not so sure it was necessary. Being my first Vette I guess I was under the impression that the LS3 was some strange, exotic engine that required extraordinary care. I am realizing after time that that ain't necessarily so. Still,I figured it was cheap insurance. I imagine some will weigh in on this.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

You should change the oil once a year no matter how little you drive the car. I used to drive my C5 for business and changed the oil about every 90 days due to mileage. I drive the C6 between 7K to 12K per year right now and tend to change the oil once a year. The full synthetic we use in the vette is excellent and will go a lot longer than the oils we grew up with, but when you drive the car the combustion process produces some acids and other contaminants which should be removed at least once a year.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
You should change the oil once a year no matter how little you drive the car. I used to drive my C5 for business and changed the oil about every 90 days due to mileage. I drive the C6 between 7K to 12K per year right now and tend to change the oil once a year. The full synthetic we use in the vette is excellent and will go a lot longer than the oils we grew up with, but when you drive the car the combustion process produces some acids and other contaminants which should be removed at least once a year.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:37 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Once a year, no matter what the mileage.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Yup...oil should be changed at least yearly if you don't accumulate enough miles to dictate by mileage. OP comment about acids and combustion residue accumulating is correct. Cheap insurance to prolong the longevity of your engine. I have a Silverado truck that I run Mobil 1 in and let the oil life system tell me when to change. It is usually between 7k and 9k based on my driving habits and in the 4-6 month range. 170k on truck and still runs like new
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by dvilin
Once a year, no matter what the mileage.
Good advice, as long as you don't exceed 7,000 miles between oil and filter change. The once a year change is for cars that are driven very little during a year, less than 7,000 miles. IMO I would not go past 7,000 miles with a synthetic oil no matter what the oil indicator says.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM
jwf
Pro

Just fyi... My 11 owner's manual has quite a few pages that talk about oil and oil changes, but on page 10-22 it says (paraphrased) to change the oil when the "change engine oil" message comes on, or at least once a year, or at 3000mi after the last oil change in the event that the engine oil change system is inadvertently reset.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The first oil change on my '08 was at 14,167 miles. I've never changed before 3% and that's always been more than 10K miles. I just turned 115K miles yesterday, so I don't have a clue how to deal with oil changes on those real low mileage cars. The book says once a year, but I think that's more of a mental reminder for people who never pay attention to the OLI.

I will say that I once owned a car that I bought with 1600 miles showing, then sold it 21 years later with just under 9000 miles and only did 1 oil change during that time.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Good advice, as long as you don't exceed 7,000 miles between oil and filter change. The once a year change is for cars that are driven very little during a year, less than 7,000 miles. IMO I would not go past 7,000 miles with a synthetic oil no matter what the oil indicator says.
What's magic about 7k miles? Synthetic oil will last a lot longer than that.

As others have said, change the oil when the DIC says so or annually, whichever comes first. Changing it more often won't hurt the car, just your bank account.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRANDY
As always refer to your owners manual for specifics on oil change requirements.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Not true, sorry. The alert reader will have several oil analysis done to confirm the OCI's as specified by the manufacturer are appropriate for the automobile as driven by the owner.

Originally Posted by Euthymicone
Agree with the two previous posts. However, there are some on this forum that recommend changing oil in a new Vette engine for the first time after only a few thousand miles. The theory is that there are metal particles in the oil of a new engine and changing it early will prolong engine life. I went ahead and did mine at 1,000 miles just to play it safe. Now, I'm not so sure it was necessary. Being my first Vette I guess I was under the impression that the LS3 was some strange, exotic engine that required extraordinary care. I am realizing after time that that ain't necessarily so. Still,I figured it was cheap insurance. I imagine some will weigh in on this.
Breakin oil analysis done on LSX engines have indicated high numbers of metal, including iron & copper during the first few thousand miles of operation.
Knowing this, the conscientious Vette owner will change the oil at least once, preferably twice. After reading those analysis, I recommend the 1st change before 1000miles, and another at 3000miles.

After those two changes, metal wear numbers will drop, and the owner can then follow the OLM or (after doing analysis) based on the life of the oil.

Oh, and another thing, several triboligists on "Bob Is the Oil Guy" forums have stated quite emphatically that synthetic oil in the sump "does not know how oil it is" What matters instead is TBN (total base number) a measure of the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:54 PM
HLH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Not true, sorry. The alert reader will have several oil analysis done to confirm the OCI's as specified by the manufacturer are appropriate for the automobile as driven by the owner.

Breakin oil analysis done on LSX engines have indicated high numbers of metal, including iron & copper during the first few thousand miles of operation.
Knowing this, the conscientious Vette owner will change the oil at least once, preferably twice. After reading those analysis, I recommend the 1st change before 1000miles, and another at 3000miles.

After those two changes, metal wear numbers will drop, and the owner can then follow the OLM or (after doing analysis) based on the life of the oil.

Oh, and another thing, several triboligists on "Bob Is the Oil Guy" forums have stated quite emphatically that synthetic oil in the sump "does not know how oil it is" What matters instead is TBN (total base number) a measure of the amount of active additive left in a sample of oil.
It's really great when current technology supports "old school" thinking! I ALWAYS change oil after 1000 miles with any new car since my 1956 Ford Victoria, especially my Corvettes, for all the reasons fnbrowning just cited so well.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:03 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Change it now.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the oil when the DIC says to or once per year, whichever comes first. That's according to the manual.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:14 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

I agree with you on the first oil change, i.e. 1,000 miles or so, after that follow the GMOLS as stated in the owners manual, not to exceed a one year time interval

Get notified of new replies

To First oil change

Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK. based on similar input just after I got my GS, I changed oil at 1,000 and then again at 3,000. Cheap insurance I guess.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet Thunderbolt
Change the oil when the DIC says to or once per year, whichever comes first. That's according to the manual.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I agree with several of the previous poster who state do it now. I changed mine at 1,300 miles just to be safe. Change the filter too.

Quick Reply: First oil change