C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do? Dreaded torque tube rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
hammersavette
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What to do? Dreaded torque tube rattle.

Man oh man, I need some serious advice. My 2006 triple black c6 just tripped to 40,000 miles and now I have the dreaded torque tube rattle, it's getting loader and loader. I have a lift in my garage, but I don't know if I want to take on the job of trying to repair it. I just bought a set of headers and I was excited about installing them, but now it seems like its going to be a much bigger job now. Please help me decide what to do. I don't have the money to pay someone else that I can trust. I have my c6 just the way that I want it, 2006 ILT, added heads up display, kenwood navigation, back-up camera, z51 package, 2008 wheels, etc. I went to look at a new c7 ILT, but the prices are outrageous. What should I do. Is this torque tube thing too big of a job or should I try to handle it?, or just trade it off for the c7
Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would get the C7, I want to get a C7, have the cash set aside, but my wife says I have to sell the C6 to get it. She doesn't think 2 people need 5 cars.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM
hammersavette
Intermediate

Do you think that I can get a decent price for my c6 without fixing the torque tube rattle?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I would get the C7, I want to get a C7, have the cash set aside, but my wife says I have to sell the C6 to get it. She doesn't think 2 people need 5 cars.

How Un American!

OP, can you describe what symptoms you are hearing that makes you think the drive shaft is rattling? When my 2009 was new it would make a gawd awful metal on metal grindy/rubing noise for the first 5 mins of driving it when first started for the day. Does yours make noise all the time? My fix was replacing the drive shaft tunnel plate with a new one and the noise was gone.

George
Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 PM
hammersavette
Intermediate

Sorry for taking so long to post, but i put the vette on the lift and listened for the noise. It was quiet until it got warm. I took off the rear service port cover on the torque tube near the torque converter and it sounded like the bearing was making the rattling sound.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by hammersavette
Sorry for taking so long to post, but i put the vette on the lift and listened for the noise. It was quiet until it got warm. I took off the rear service port cover on the torque tube near the torque converter and it sounded like the bearing was making the rattling sound.
So stop a block from the dealer, get a cup of coffee, and drive it the dealer cold so they don't hear noise.

Another reason why I don't buy used cars.......
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not an overwhelming fix to do. It is just time consuming. There is nothing like the self satisfaction of doing the job yourself. This link is for a clutch replacement on a C5. There is very little difference between the C5 and C6. It is not that hard to figure out. You will get the idea what is involved. I hope this helps.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...-installation/
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 PM
hammersavette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by needcheese
This is not an overwhelming fix to do. It is just time consuming. There is nothing like the self satisfaction of doing the job yourself. This link is for a clutch replacement on a C5. There is very little difference between the C5 and C6. It is not that hard to figure out. You will get the idea what is involved. I hope this helps.

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...-installation/
Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted on how this project is coming along. One question tho, should I replace all of the bearings or just the bad one? AWful lot of work to have to do it again on such a low mileage car.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:08 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

What causes torque tube rattle?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hammersavette
Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted on how this project is coming along. One question tho, should I replace all of the bearings or just the bad one? AWful lot of work to have to do it again on such a low mileage car.
I personally would change all the bearings. I would also change the front seal on the transmission. The rubber couplers should be fine. Check them over to make sure. I just believe in replacing items while I have it apart. This makes life much easier most of the time.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Not to ask a dumb question but what does the rattle sound like? Is it under light load? Heavy load? Cruising? At idle?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM
hammersavette
Intermediate

The rattle starts at idle when the vet gets to normal operting temp, but when revved the noise goes away. You can"t here it while driving at normal speeds.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:21 AM
chevynovaguy72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever happen to get this sorted out hammer?

Get notified of new replies

To What to do? Dreaded torque tube rattle.

Quick Reply: What to do? Dreaded torque tube rattle.