C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEO lit me up this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by mundo
OK, I'm from the west coast. What does LEO stand for? Must be something common to states west of CA. I can only assume it means Law Enforcement Officer - correct? In CA we have the CHP (California Highway Patrol) commonly known as "Chippys" They can be real A$$ holes especially around LA.
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer = CHP
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mundo
....What does LEO stand for?...
You have LEO correct.

About 25 years ago I got tired of dodging cops, and getting speeding tickets.

I decided I would set my cruise control for 3 mph over the posted limit all the time.

Guess what? In the past 25 years, I've not been stopped. No tickets....amazing!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
You have LEO correct.

About 25 years ago I got tired of dodging cops, and getting speeding tickets.

I decided I would set my cruise control for 3 mph over the posted limit all the time.

Guess what? In the past 25 years, I've not been stopped. No tickets....amazing!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

You can get away with 5 over no problem. 7 over is max. 10 or more and you're fair game. I was an LEO about a million years ago (only worked a few years. Just wasn't for me). Judges don't like wasting their time on tickets with 5 or 7 over.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
I got my first ever ticket in the corrupt state of NJ on Sunday. No traffic on the road except a slow old SUV in front of me that I thought was making a right (was doing 27 in 35) so I overtook on a double yellow. Sitting cop lit me up.
Exact same thing happened to me.

Only the cop was coming toward me, had to turn around & track me several miles to my home. After my papers he says 'you passed on a double yellow.'.
I said, 'No. I'd driven around the car ahead of me who signaled a right turn. I drove around them. Maybe their RF turn signal light was burned out, why you couldn't see?'.
Young cop, I could see the wheels turning, thinking *maybe*.
Handed back my papers & said drive more careful.

I got real lucky, he had me by the shorthairs.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

You were lucky. I got my first ever ticket in the corrupt state of NJ on Sunday. No traffic on the road except a slow old SUV in front of me that I thought was making a right (was doing 27 in 35) so I overtook on a double yellow. Sitting cop lit me up. Bad timing - nice car was all he said after looking for the usuals. It's a 4 pointer!!! But I can plea to zero and pass over $$ to my greedy town.
Hey Irish, You should know better here in bucolic Joisey. Going over a double yellow is always a no-no. How much is a plead to zero...I seem to remember reading something like $250..right? Seriously, sorry to here about your request for a donation. What town was it in? The shore towns are getting hungry this time of year.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Yellogixxer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got pulled over once by a PA Trooper for doing 67 in a 55. The cop was cool. Instead of speeding, he wrote me up for failing to use my turn signal when pulling off onto the shoulder. No points.

I was grateful and gladly paid with a smile on my face, but it has always bothered me...what if I did use my turn signal, would I have gotten the speeding ticket, or something else?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by MBB
I bought my Vette for the track, not to be Speedy Speederton on the streets. It gets great gas mileage while NOT pushing it and driving faster just means LESS time I get to have with her.

As another example, I am a long time motorcyclist. (33 years on the street)
A few years ago I started doing track days on them. That has really settled me down on the street.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

You were lucky. I got my first ever ticket in the corrupt state of NJ on Sunday. No traffic on the road except a slow old SUV in front of me that I thought was making a right (was doing 27 in 35) so I overtook on a double yellow. Sitting cop lit me up. Bad timing - nice car was all he said after looking for the usuals. It's a 4 pointer!!! But I can plea to zero and pass over $$ to my greedy town.
here in pa. you n.j. and n.y. guys are constantly passing people on a double yellow lane. then you have the nerve to call your state corrupt when the officer is doing his job. i call it corrupt when they don't do their job. like a cop told me once, "suck it up and deal with it" ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

7 to 8 miles an hour is about the limit in the next town and on the interstate. Next town because there's a mile stretch (5 lane street) at the edge of town with no traffic lights.

Here, 5 is about the limit on most streets, since there are so many traffic lights.

Haven't been pulled over since the county mounty in the next county did it for 76 in a 55 about 7 years ago, but no ticket.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Heading South through North Alabama Monday had a LEO blow by me and I was doing 79 in a 70. I pulled in the next exist several miles down the road and this same LEO pulled in beside me and started chatting. I finished fueling and as he pulled away he said "BTW you are still in a 55 mph construction zone for another 10 or so miles". I told him I knew I had just came out of a zone but hadn't seen a barrel for miles. He said the zone was about 20 or so miles long and nothing going on at this end but not to be doing 79 through it.

I gave him a heart felt thanks for not pulling me over.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:58 PM
bushjc
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jim, sounds like that Tullahoma to Winchester run - I went through there one afternoon and there was 3 LEO's passing out Donation Requests like candy on Halloween.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Congrats on not getting pulled. I have been driving for 30 yrs and received one break in all those years(my neighbor was a cop and pulled up behind the leo that pulled me over and had him let me go). My dad's a retired cop but I never name dropped, just was polite and respectful to all the leo's that pulled me over(maybe 10 or so speeding tickets in life).
Being polite and respectful is how I've been brought up but it has never saved me from getting a ticket. I once got written up for 4 over in Missouri on the highway at 3am on my drive home to WI. Step- mom was in another car and got pulled over, so I pulled over to be near her for caravan purposes. He wrote both of us tickets.lol

Also being a longtime paraplegic from an industrial accident as a teen I tried the involuntary muscle spasm defense with no success.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I think 10 over is pretty common among LEO's. 11 over might get you pulled over, 15 will get you a citation.
This really varies by locality. Here in the suburban Chicago area, our state police write then most tickets starting at 80 MPH (55 speed limit) on our interstates. This is not saying they couldn't write you up lower, as they do. But at 25 over, we are asking for it.

Now if there is construction going on, we better heed the usual 45 MPH zone. Our highway LEOs really frown on speeding in these zones.

Last edited by jackhall99; 01-22-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Texas it says right on the ticket - has to be 10% over.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Been driving in Southern California for 59 years. Been pulled over a few times but never had a ticket. I've deserved a few but been lucky.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
here in pa. you n.j. and n.y. guys are constantly passing people on a double yellow lane. then you have the nerve to call your state corrupt when the officer is doing his job. i call it corrupt when they don't do their job. like a cop told me once, "suck it up and deal with it" ignorance of the law is no excuse.
I could understand "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" if the laws were logical and there were only a few thousand laws. But there are illogical laws and over 10s of thousands of laws (I know you don't know half of them).

PS I got a ticket for 57MPH in a 55MPH zone, I'm so happy that the officer wasn't corrupt. No I wasn't! I was just cruising with the rest of the traffic.

Get notified of new replies

To LEO lit me up this morning

Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 PM
POPN427
Instructor

On the way to Vegas from So. Calif 30 Miles before Primm,,,

Good thing I have manners!! And the CHP really liked my 427

Warning only!! and multiple " this is a really nice vette!! " 88 in the 70

Looking into a PASSPORT 9500ix radar detector,,,,any thoughts ??

Be Safe
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellogixxer
I got pulled over once by a PA Trooper for doing 67 in a 55. The cop was cool. Instead of speeding, he wrote me up for failing to use my turn signal when pulling off onto the shoulder. No points.

I was grateful and gladly paid with a smile on my face, but it has always bothered me...what if I did use my turn signal, would I have gotten the speeding ticket, or something else?
....accept the fact that the LEO was indeed cool and cut you some slack......pretty simple concept!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Another great thing about Arizona the roads are in excellent condition, it is dry 99% of the time and just about everyone speeds here. I try not to exceed 8 or 9 over the posted limit and even at that you are still frequently getting passed by someone. I try to just be the second fastet car in the pack that I am driving in and limiting my speed to a reasonable rate. That has worked for me so far. No tickets in the last 30 years.

Of course now that I said that I will be getting one next week.

Quick Reply: LEO lit me up this morning