C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daughter wants to drive Vette to school

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Daughter wants to drive Vette to school

I know I am being a little funny but my 20 year old daughter's Infinity is in the shop and will not be done until this afternoon

She asked me last night what she could drive, I told her my truck(she does not like driving my truck) and she frowned.

She then asked to drive my Vette

Only a short trip to her campus today and she has only driven it once when I first brought it home and she is a good driver BUT

Help me out to not be so finicky with this car

She told me she can park away from anyone else but I guess main thing that concerns me is a new driver to a vette under estimates the length of the front end and how low the front of the car is

I know I am being a little funny in fact Wife looked at me very funny when I told Her Holly wanted to drive the Vette to school today

By the way she and my wife REFUSE to drive my 2001 Taurus company car
Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I let both of my sons drive my Vette. They know they better not mess it up.

I will not let them drive to college in the Vette. Parking lot is too crowded and most young people do not care about their cars let alone someone else's.

Let her drive the truck to College and let her drive your Vette to pick up her car.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM
rverside red
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

just say no.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 AM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by rverside red
just say no.
+1.

Tell her if she wants to drive the Vette, you and her can take a nice cruise in it one day.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM
GreginNH
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This issue isn't your daughter - it's the whole school environment. No telling what could happen there.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
I know I am being a little funny but my 20 year old daughter's Infinity is in the shop and will not be done until this afternoon

She asked me last night what she could drive, I told her my truck(she does not like driving my truck) and she frowned.

She then asked to drive my Vette

Only a short trip to her campus today and she has only driven it once when I first brought it home and she is a good driver BUT

Help me out to not be so finicky with this car

She told me she can park away from anyone else but I guess main thing that concerns me is a new driver to a vette under estimates the length of the front end and how low the front of the car is

I know I am being a little funny in fact Wife looked at me very funny when I told Her Holly wanted to drive the Vette to school today

By the way she and my wife REFUSE to drive my 2001 Taurus company car
WOW tough question. My thoughts are let her take the car. You said she is a good driver and let's face it, it's doubtful she will be doing any Bonzi/Autobahn runs on the way to school. Tell her; remember it's low in the front, don't break the underspoiler off (she'll know what it is if she's ever ridden with you and it scrapes as it always does). Tell her and "PLEASE" don't park next too the biggest heap in the lot as you know how I HATE door dings. Trust me she won't mess up DAD'S VETTE. If something does happen remember it's a car and can be fixed. Daughters only come around once, be thankful you have one around that can pester you for your VETTE LOL
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm firmly in the 'let her drive it' camp. It's just a car - and if your daughter is a good driver, and has even a modicum of common sense, then you won't have any problems.

As others have mentioned, point out that the front is low, and be careful where it's parked.

If you believe she can be trusted to take care of a Lexus, then I don't know why you're freaking out over this.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I am in the just say no camp, kids really have it rough today. Infinity in the shop, does not want to drive the truck, stay home then.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

she knows what the car means to you. I am sure she means more though. let her drive the car and suck it up until she is out of sight
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Originally Posted by dvilin
I am in the just say no camp, kids really have it rough today. Infinity in the shop, does not want to drive the truck, stay home then.
Hit the nail on the head. I would say take a perfectly good truck or if you don't like it you can always ride your bike or walk.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:00 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by truckplay
she knows what the car means to you. I am sure she means more though. let her drive the car and suck it up until she is out of sight
Pretty much it

I do go over the "where to park, low front end, LONG front end, how to adjust everything, etc"

She is very responsible and I explained to her why I park away from every one and she understood. She is pretty particular about her car, even though her dear old DAD keeps it clean and waxed for Her.(I do get a hug and an "I Love You" every time I do that)

By the way, she goes to local community college that has split campuses and the one today is kind of a satellite campus and not a lot of parking there like at the main campus

Last edited by tprice; 01-16-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Gars08vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a tough one, but with another vehicle available (or two) I come down on the no side, and opting for letting her drive it somewhere else...
Old 01-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Cars come and go. People are more important than a car. You know your daughter and her maturity level. Talk with her about your concerns, then trust her to follow through. The lifetime benefits of this period of trust will be unbelievable. (Father of 3 daughters and 1 son.)
Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

A friend let his grandaughter drive his Corvette, car nearly totaled in an accident. Fortunately she was not injured at all. He says it wasn't her fault and likely it wasn't but still it could have been avoided by saying no. Now everyone feels bad and car is in the shop for several months.

Last edited by BearZ06; 01-16-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 AM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

put her in time out for asking
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 AM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06

A friend let his granddaughter drive his Corvette, car nearly totaled in an accident. Fortunately she was not injured at all. He says it wasn't her fault and likely it wasn't but still it could have been avoided by saying no. Now everyone feels bad and car is in the shop for several months.
Are you claiming that the ACCIDENT could have been avoided if the granddaughter hadn't been driving his Corvette?? If it wasn't her fault, then how can you assume that a different car wouldn't have been in an accident?

Truthfully, as strong as these cars are, she might have been better off in the Corvette than some other vehicle.

Steven

Get notified of new replies

To Daughter wants to drive Vette to school

Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I let my daughter drive my C4 she did a 360 on HWY 52 just north of Rochester MN.

Just saying...
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh! Oh! Oh! I know the answer!!!! I know the answer!!!! ............ HELL. NO. There are some things that are off limits. It's life. Not trying to be mean. I'm very giving with my family. Everything I have is theirs........... But my Corvette is mine. No one drives it but me. I know how it drives. I know how it responds My daughter (who's only five but go along with me on this) does NOT. Even if I trusted her, I sure as heck wouldn't trust her school or other drivers.

To be very honest I'm amazed this even has to be a discussion. Does today's youth have ANY boundaries?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
Are you claiming that the ACCIDENT could have been avoided if the granddaughter hadn't been driving his Corvette?? If it wasn't her fault, then how can you assume that a different car wouldn't have been in an accident?

Truthfully, as strong as these cars are, she might have been better off in the Corvette than some other vehicle.

Steven
Get real. The car would have been home in the garage. She had plenty of power, it was supercharged. Sure it can happen to any of us at any time if you want to choose that analogy.

Quick Reply: Daughter wants to drive Vette to school