C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Starter problem?

Yesterday I took the Corvette out taking the wife shopping and when returning to the car and trying to start it all i got was a click. all the dash lights went out and after a few seconds the dash lights comes back on and all the gauges rev over and back. tried it again and it fired..so we go somewhere else and come out and it does it again.this time i check the battery and the negative post had come loose somehow. I had no tools on me so when i got it to crank i went to a auto zone and asked could they tighten it. we got it tightened and it fires back up.so i get back on the road and smell an awful smell something like rotten eggs and something burning at the same time. So when we stopped again and came back to the car..you guessed it…it just clicks. So after about 10 cycles of trying to fire it, it did finally fire back up.so back to the auto zone and they check the charging system first and said it was good.so we cut the car off and the battery shows its weak.so i had them put a new optima red top in and guess what..it just clicks and never did fire back up. we checked the battery we put in and after a load test it had 12.4 Volts and 1000 cranking amps so its not the battery. My Corvette is a 2009 LS3 w/an a6 Tranny..I had the car put on a rollback and carried to the dealership for them to look at monday..just wondering what my problem could be?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rock the starter switch ,top to bottom ( ACC) the rare time it happens . Some say a catalytic converter soaked with fuel smells like rotten eggs . So does a non-sealed lead acid battery being over charged . Maybe the neutral switch on the shifter , if you aren't cranking / just clicking ? Check the battery lugs / cable connection if they get hot when cranking , maybe a bad joint / crimp .

Last edited by heli-vette; 01-05-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It could be a bad connection at the starter solinoid. Thats been known to happen a lot.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Yea its definitely not trying to crank at all just a click..but when it does make a connection its an instant fire no drag at all. So Hopefully it is just a bad connection at the starter…The car has been flawless up until this point so I'm hoping it is a minor problem... I try to look at the bright side..I got a optima red top out of the ordeal
Old 01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVRose
It could be a bad connection at the starter solinoid. Thats been known to happen a lot.
Bad electrical connections are stinky.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,501 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

let us know what the dealership finds...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
let us know what the dealership finds...
Will Do
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Blue Bandit
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dewayne'sC6
Yesterday I took the Corvette out taking the wife shopping and when returning to the car and trying to start it all i got was a click. all the dash lights went out and after a few seconds the dash lights comes back on and all the gauges rev over and back. tried it again and it fired..so we go somewhere else and come out and it does it again.this time i check the battery and the negative post had come loose somehow. I had no tools on me so when i got it to crank i went to a auto zone and asked could they tighten it. we got it tightened and it fires back up.so i get back on the road and smell an awful smell something like rotten eggs and something burning at the same time. So when we stopped again and came back to the car..you guessed it…it just clicks. So after about 10 cycles of trying to fire it, it did finally fire back up.so back to the auto zone and they check the charging system first and said it was good.so we cut the car off and the battery shows its weak.so i had them put a new optima red top in and guess what..it just clicks and never did fire back up. we checked the battery we put in and after a load test it had 12.4 Volts and 1000 cranking amps so its not the battery. My Corvette is a 2009 LS3 w/an a6 Tranny..I had the car put on a rollback and carried to the dealership for them to look at monday..just wondering what my problem could be?
The connection at the starter is usually the problem as some have noted. I had a dealership repair two other items and said the starter was good. I insisted on them checking the starter and they said it was good. I went to car x, they pulled the starter out, and sure enough, the connection was loose and the contact point was broken. Put in a new starter. Never had a problem again. Dealerships scare me when it comes to service.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Well guys here is the deal..Evidently when the negative post clamp on the battery came loose it caused an arc across it which sent a high amount of voltage down to the solenoid and caused it to burn out the wire. They took off the starter and i carried it to a local shop my buddy runs that fixes solenoids and he fixed it in like 20 min.carried it back and slammed her back in and she fires right up. we stuck a new clamp on the battery post and all is well now. here is a picture of the starter when we took it off. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wow! great picture. Thanks for the follow up.

Well, going out the car now to check by battery clamps
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewayne'sC6
Well guys here is the deal..Evidently when the negative post clamp on the battery came loose it caused an arc across it which sent a high amount of voltage down to the solenoid and caused it to burn out the wire. They took off the starter and i carried it to a local shop my buddy runs that fixes solenoids and he fixed it in like 20 min.carried it back and slammed her back in and she fires right up. we stuck a new clamp on the battery post and all is well now. here is a picture of the starter when we took it off. Thanks for the help!

Interesting. You never know.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I said bad connection at the solenoid, not somebody shot a hole through it!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by EVRose
I said bad connection at the solenoid, not somebody shot a hole through it!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter problem?

Quick Reply: Starter problem?