C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people taunt me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Bought my C6 in May and noticed it right away, kind of got to me a little bit a first buy now I just wave and let them have their fun

Like ya'll not gonna risk a ticket or put myself or anyone else in danger
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Laid Back11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Japstar
it's like agreeing to box with a woman. even when you win, it proves nothing.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Titan C6Z
My DD is also a Prius but it's status around CA is a bit more incognito being the majority of the cars around here, specifically in the Bay Area. People don't pay too much attention to me when I'm driving that car. UNLESS I pass up people on the freeway. Some people just can't seem to stomach the fact that they just got passed up by a Prius then they have to drive faster and make things right by putting me back in line, which is behind them whatever they're driving. Even if they're in their bucket that's 20+ years old and in bad condition, they still look down at me and insist I stay behind them.
That's probably because people who drive a Prius are usually going 10 under the speed limit and the person that was just passed thinks their speedo must be off lol.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Sneed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may just be oblivious, but I've driven Corvettes for 8 years and no one has ever "challenged" me while I'm out driving.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I find that I am tailgated much more often in my Vette then when I am in my Sonata. I drive the same speed in both cars. My favorite is when I am passing a car on the interstate in the left lane and someone gets right on my rear bumper. When I finish passing and move over, they get in behind me and stay close. What's up with that? Do they think they are safe behind me? Maybe they believe driving a Vette gives me knowledge of where the police are or something.
Man, you are right on!...tailgating seems to be SOP...and I don't know why?...I can drive my pick up the same speed as my 'vette and no one tail gates...drive my 'vette and I see headlights right behind the spoiler...

Gotta be a reason!?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM
SUCAMILLA U 427
Intermediate

Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneed
I may just be oblivious, but I've driven Corvettes for 8 years and no one has ever "challenged" me while I'm out driving.
My experience also. Most wave, smile and nod, or give me a thumbs up. When we drive the 68 people blow horns, yell a compliment, even take pictures with their phones.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,501 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I only get people taking pictures of my car while driving
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Guinzu
Instructor

When out in the "other" vehicle, I will close in or slow down for a vette. 1 to see who's driving and 2 to see if it looks/sounds stock. No offense, I just like vettes. I even catch myself giving the wave in the wrong vehicle...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just lighten up and enjoy your car and enjoy life. I don t care what they do or think or say
Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't advocate street racing but if you get challenged take it as a compliment....you're driving a Corvette! If you do race your car (at a drag strip or a road course) never underestimate anyone. Some cars you'd least expect might blow your doors off.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Sometimes it's all in the curb appeal of you and your car...Girls looking to get picked up up usually will...
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Here's a somewhat related true story:

About two weeks ago my fellow coworker (we'll call him Jim) had this happen to him. Jim stated while he was driving home from work there was a Tangerine Pearl colored Dodge Charger that pulled up behind him and tail-gated him for about a mile. Jim said he dropped a gear then stood on it and left the Charger in the dust. Jim continued stating the Charger caught him, at over 100mph, then blue-lighted him. Jim said the Arkansas State Trooper (driving an unmarked) ticketed him for doing 80mph but stated he did actually exceed 100mph. Jim asked the Trooper why he ticketed him and he stated because you didn't pull over to let me pass; you just accellerated to an unsafe speed.

The moral? Don't get caught up!

Last edited by Speedforhire; 12-30-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: .............typos
Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what you do when some yahoo in mustang or WRX pulls up and lines up next to you and wants to race:

you look at them with a smile like you can't believe what they're asking

then you point at their car and mouth "that car? with a big smile

then you throw your head back and laugh, and mouth "okay, right... you win" and give them an emphatic thumbs up and a sarcastic wink

(Not only does this annoy the hell out of them, but it saves you from the small but real possibility that their car heavily modified and is a lot faster than yours)

Last edited by Adam_W; 12-30-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
Here's what you do when some yahoo in mustang or WRX pulls up and lines up next to you and wants to race:

you look at them with a smile like you can't believe what they're asking

then you point at their car and mouth "that car? with a big smile

then you throw your head back and laugh, and mouth "okay, right... you win" and give them an emphatic thumbs up and a sarcastic wink

(Not only does this annoy the hell out of them, but it saves you from the small but real possibility that their car heavily modified and is a lot faster than yours)

This is exactly right...Its all on how you handle it...
Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For those pesky tailgaters you can always pick up one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d13...=&CJID=3363563

On a weekly basis some schmuck tries to get me to go on the freeway or at a light. I have even had other Vettes pull up next to me in pretty heavy traffic and keep punching it like they want to race. There are all kinds of idiots out there.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I have had car tailgate me no matter what I was driving and I am usually 5 to 7 over the posted speed limit. It might just be coincidence but the other night my wife and I were driving the corvette for the first time since I bought it and four or five different times within an hour others around us were acting like they wanted to race. My wife even noticed and made a comment. I hope this doesn’t happen often because I’m not interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do people taunt me?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Just an unfortunate part of Vette ownership.

Drivers of fast cars (or ones that think they are) want to compare theirs with a legend.

Corvettes have always been some of the best looking cars on the road anywhere, and a lot of people just want a closer look.

Best advice is to ignore the boy-racer-wannabe's.

I frequently compliment cars if they're something well done. That usually catches them by surprise and they go away slightly befuddled.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:03 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Since I traded my '07 silver Vette for a 2012 GS Conv (red) I have had three separate incidents where I'm just cruising along (like a middle aged guy is wont to do) and have had a WRS, Mustang and an Evo tailgate or come up next to me and then flash me the digit when I expressed no interest.....geez

Before you think I was slow in the left lane, nope, I was in the right all three times...........

I had a '92 white C4 coupe for 12 years and experienced no highway tomfoolery -- same with the silver '04 C5 coupe I owned for 9 years after the C4. Last summer, I traded up to a triple black '13 GS convertible, and I get hassled all of the time -- 30-40 year-old men in 3 series BMWs are the worst. Get the occasional Evo or fart-can equipped 4-door Honda, too. I'm thinkin' it might be the wide body's rear profile combined with the massive Goodyear meats that gets their blood pumping.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Just an unfortunate part of Vette ownership.

Drivers of fast cars (or ones that think they are) want to compare theirs with a legend.

Corvettes have always been some of the best looking cars on the road anywhere, and a lot of people just want a closer look.

Best advice is to ignore the boy-racer-wannabe's.

I frequently compliment cars if they're something well done. That usually catches them by surprise and they go away slightly befuddled.

Quick Reply: Why do people taunt me?