C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM's response to the check air bag light problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Default GM's response to the check air bag light problem

The following is a letter from GM stating they know there is a problem and they have no intention of doing anything about it. They even admit they know what is causing it. If you are experiencing this problem please file a complaint with the NHTSA. It's the only way we will get GM to help us. It only takes a few minuets.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

The air bag light concern is caused by the seat belt connector under the drivers seat coming loose. There was a change made in 2008 that moved the connector that helps some but did not completely remedy it. It can also be seen in fewer numbers in 2008 – 2010. It was driven by the connector being placed directly under the seat cushion. When a customer uses easy exit or memory so the seat moves at each door opening it will work the connector loose over time. The fix was to attach it to the seat frame so it did not get drug across the bottom of the carpet. In 2008 they made the wire a little longer to move the connector out of the way. I am not aware of any discussion for a recall or customer satisfaction action because it was self-declaring.

Last edited by VET4LES; 01-14-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Dealer fixed mine under warranty many years ago and it has not been a problem since. No need to recall a hundred thousand cars for a simple 2 minute fix that doesn't present any safety hazard. GM did the right thing 7 years ago and it's a little late to be complaining now.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

If the light comes on warning you of an issue, how can this be a safety concern? I am not defending GM but I fail to see how, if the car warns you there is a problem, that a recall is necessary.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
If the light comes on warning you of an issue, how can this be a safety concern?
Depending on the problem, if the light comes on, it also disables the system from deploying the airbags. Same with ABS, light comes on, ABS disabled.

Only a problem I guess if you get in a situation where you need them.....

Safety issue? ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Last edited by jft69z; 12-27-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

The problem is no one can or will tell us if the air bag will deploy when the check air bag light is on. There are forum members that are driving 100% of the time with the light on. Many of us have had GM work on the problem only to have it come back. I'm one of those. I've had mine in numerous times. I'm the only one that stop's it temporarily with the zip tie method.

How can anyone say this is not a safety issue. I hope I'm not the one involved in a serious collision and have the air bag fail.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IF THE LIGHT IS ON THE AIRBAGS WILL NOT DEPLOY, THAT IS A BIG SAFTEY ISSUE I WOULD THINK. mine comes on when im out driving hard.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

I could understand if it was the seat belt that wasn't going to work. But an airbag not working means I know I won't get a broken nose
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

...or permenant hearing loss.

Lots of studies have shown that, if you are wearing a seat belt, an air bag does nothing to limit injury. Air bags are for people not wearing seat belts.

Why does this minor, easily fixable flaw have to be a federal government problem? Fix the car again with a wire tie. Or tell the dealer the last fix didn't work and you want it fixed again. Or wear a seat belt as the law already requires. Here's a study that shows there would be fewer deaths without air bags - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0602011343.htm

A recall costs a LOT of money. That's why car makers will resist them and pay for many wrongful death claims before doing a recall. We don't need millions of dollars added to the cost of C7's for such a minor issue that isn't going to harm anyone who repairs their car when warned or wears a seat belt.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:36 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

If the light comes on, remove the seat (4 nuts and ten minutes), tie-wrap the connector (1 $.02 tie and 10 minutes), and replace the seat (again, 4 nuts and ten minutes).

Or, ask the dealer to do it for your for $80-100.

This is NOT a recall issue.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

My car is under cover, tucked away in the garage, hibernating, otherwise I'd get my owner's manual out and check the air bag function light write up to refresh my memory.....HST, can someone remind me, exactly what light would be on? Also, is there a pic of how some of you have ty-wraped the connector? And is there only one connector under the seat? I seem to remember that I was using the easy out feature and something, I thought was screwing up? I can't remember why I stopped using it exactly?
Mike ;>)
Old 12-28-2013, 02:31 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

The check air bag light is on the dash and flashes a few times when starting the engine. If your lucky it stops flashing telling you everything is okay. If it changes to a solid light the air bag system probably will not function. The picture below is the box or connector that needs to be zip tied and attached to the seat frame if it's not already attached. Contrary to the post above the seat does not need to be removed. Move it forward and up and you can do the job.
The other connectors are toward the front of the seat and are for the memory seat. I have them zip tied also because my memory was only working part time. With zip ties it works 100% until they need tightening.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

For those who don't like airbags-

I was driving our 2006 when a moron pulled out in front of me and I t-boned him at about 30 mph. I was sitting in a normal driving position. The bag fired, and so did my seat belt pre-tensioner. I still did hit the bag, or it hit me, but not very hard. I had bigger marks on my hips from the seat belt, than on my chest/shoulder from the shoulder belt. If the impact had been more severe, there would have been more stretch in the belts and the bag would have been more important.

Airbags were originally designed for people too dumb to wear a seat belt, today they are designed to still do that but also help restrain people who are properly belted in. In addition to reducing impact against the interior of the car like belts do, they spread the restraining forces over a larger area of the body. That becomes important in more severe crashes.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:17 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
The check air bag light is on the dash and flashes a few times when starting the engine. If your lucky it stops flashing telling you everything is okay. If it changes to a solid light the air bag system probably will not function. The picture below is the box or connector that needs to be zip tied and attached to the seat frame if it's not already attached. Contrary to the post above the seat does not need to be removed. Move it forward and up and you can do the job.
The other connectors are toward the front of the seat and are for the memory seat. I have them zip tied also because my memory was only working part time. With zip ties it works 100% until they need tightening.

VET4LES Thanks!
Mike
Old 12-28-2013, 06:29 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My connector is still zip tied, but I have the issue all the time. For you that say that this is not a big deal...blah blah... What do I do if my daughter is in the car, we wreck, and the system fails to deploy? This needs to be fixed by GM, if my company designs something that could cause injury we would fix it.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c6reaperx
My connector is still zip tied, but I have the issue all the time. For you that say that this is not a big deal...blah blah... What do I do if my daughter is in the car, we wreck, and the system fails to deploy? This needs to be fixed by GM, if my company designs something that could cause injury we would fix it.

Make sure to file a complaint. It only takes a few minuets.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES

Make sure to file a complaint. It only takes a few minuets.

Done!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c6reaperx
Done!

Get notified of new replies

To GM's response to the check air bag light problem

Old 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a retired firefighter with over 30 years experience. In my experience air bags make a big difference. I have been to countless wrecks. Cars where the air bags deployed gave the occupants a much better chance of not having serious injuries. I have been on scene where in the past the occupants would have been killed or seriously injured only to have them standing near the car with minor injuries telling us what happened. Automotive construction and better seat belts have also contributed to this but the biggest change I saw in the extent of injuries was when air bags were part of the equation.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by lennieorr
I am a retired firefighter with over 30 years experience. In my experience air bags make a big difference. I have been to countless wrecks. Cars where the air bags deployed gave the occupants a much better chance of not having serious injuries. I have been on scene where in the past the occupants would have been killed or seriously injured only to have them standing near the car with minor injuries telling us what happened. Automotive construction and better seat belts have also contributed to this but the biggest change I saw in the extent of injuries was when air bags were part of the equation.
When I was working as a LEO I read a report on an airbag deployment. It was the first one I could recall occurring. It involved a head-on collision with airbags deployed in both vehicles. The responding office met two persons outside of the vehicles and asked where the drivers were because he could not believe there were no injuries. The two persons identified themselves as the drivers of the accident vehicles.

Airbags are not to be used in lieu of seat belts, they are designed to augment the seat belt. If you are not wearing your seat belt there is the possibility of striking the interior of the vehicle or even being ejected through the glass.

If the airbag light is illuminated then there is a safety issue that needs to e addressed.

I had an issue with the light occasionally illuminating on my 08 and after a few visits to the dealer I tie wrapped the plug to the seat frame and solved the problem.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:27 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Funny this came thread came up.. my 2013 GS has the airbag light on now most of the time... time to go to my dealer I guess.... I'd check the connector myself but it's starting to get real cold out....

Quick Reply: GM's response to the check air bag light problem