C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixed Feelings

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Mixed Feelings

Took my new/used 2012 Red GS Conv Z16 in for my first oil change and to just allow a really great mechanic/guy (Mark@Titus-Will Cadillac/Chev in Olympia, WA) have a look:

a. Those lovely Goodyear F1's are already on the way out, I'll go until
next Spring/10,000 miles or so and replace them with Michelins;
beat tires at 6,000 miles, geez...nobody who knows likes them

b. Those brakes are incredibly expensive to replace with as many pads
as they have...I'll do alot more coasting

c. That lovely waffling at low speed is endemic

d. Getting used to alittle scraping on my slightly downhill driveway

But, after sitting in a nice all black 2014 with all the goodies mine has (except the rag top of course and that intoxicating new car smell) I'm still thinking I made a wise choice.

I would like to thank an understanding spouse, a great mechanic and the luck of the draw which allowed me to be in such pleasant circumstances in a world with so many lacking.

Best of the holidays to one and all

Dan
Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Enjoy that new (to you) GS. I know how you feel...I am so blessed to own a corvette, when you know how many folks are out there just struggling to get by. When I think about that, it seems so ridiculous that there are so many "squabbles" between owners of various generation Corvettes. Just be glad you can afford to own one, or have a bank that lets you drive one.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:14 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Enjoy the car, and you will love the ride with the Michelins
Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I changed my brake pads at 1000 miles because of brown brake dust on my black wheels.hawk pads are not that much and easy to install.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:24 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

A 2012 GS is a very nice car. I own an 08 coupe. I wasn't sure I would be totally happy with a C6 so I bought used with all the goodies. I figured it was better to spend in the low 30's and not to take a big hit if I didn't like the car. It turns out I love the car and will kep it for several year and then pass it on.

The tires that everyone seems to love are the Michelin Pilots. I have a pair on my car and they are great. However, they are not so great for winter driving. If the car is not a DD then it doesn't matter. For winter driving I also have a set of Michelin x-ice 3's. These run like A/S and are dead silent. They are the only winter tire I could find with a 40k mile warranty and eco.

Your car sits lower than mine so you're going to get more scraping. Watch out for curbs when you park. I find it hard to judge the front of the car in relations to front curbs. I have front and rear cameras and use them almost every time I park.

I wouldn't worry about brakes. They seem to last a very long time on our cars. Probably 50k if you don't ride them. The brake dust sucks though. I was thinking of getting ceramic brakes because of this.

You saved a lot of money with the 2012 over the 14 so enjoy the extra dollars in your wallet. The 2014 is a nice car and is growing on me. I love all the interior, and engine upgrades that were made. I like most of the exterior upgrades. It would have been nice if they had created three models and then floated the designs out there to hard core fans like us. I'm sure in the end they would have had a better styled car.

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Took my new/used 2012 Red GS Conv Z16 in for my first oil change and to just allow a really great mechanic/guy (Mark@Titus-Will Cadillac/Chev in Olympia, WA) have a look:

But, after sitting in a nice all black 2014 with all the goodies mine has (except the rag top of course and that intoxicating new car smell) I'm still thinking I made a wise choice.

I would like to thank an understanding spouse, a great mechanic and the luck of the draw which allowed me to be in such pleasant circumstances in a world with so many lacking.

Dan
Old 12-24-2013, 08:40 AM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 2013GS Coupe was our first (and probably last) NEW Corvette that we have bought. I saw photos of the C7 before we made our purchase decision and have no regrets going with the last year of the C6. C5 and C6 seats do not have nearly as much bolstering as the C4 and C7 have. While bolstering is great for all out performance driving, not so great for long cruises for frequent in & out cycles. I'm wondering how the seats will stand up in the C7s. The C4s had issues with bolster seams splitting.
As for the brake pads - I too hate the dust. I'm thinking of going with one-piece pads in a ceramic compound. Not sure why GM thought 6 little pucks were better than 2 large ones.
Best wishes.
Glen
Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on your GS. Even with the drawbacks you mention, Corvettes are a great car.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1

Dan
The tires are a known issue and if you have your car aligned for the street and not the track then they will last a lot longer. I have 17K on mine and they still look good. They are hard as a rock though.

I think the brakes on my 2012 GS are amazing and I don't want to change a thing. The dust is a bitch but it comes with the car.

I really like my car and have no regrets about it.

Happy Holidays to you.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

All that and no picture/
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

If you are happy with your decision than all is good.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by olefam
Our 2013GS Coupe was our first (and probably last) NEW Corvette that we have bought. I saw photos of the C7 before we made our purchase decision and have no regrets going with the last year of the C6. C5 and C6 seats do not have nearly as much bolstering as the C4 and C7 have. While bolstering is great for all out performance driving, not so great for long cruises for frequent in & out cycles. I'm wondering how the seats will stand up in the C7s. The C4s had issues with bolster seams splitting.
As for the brake pads - I too hate the dust. I'm thinking of going with one-piece pads in a ceramic compound. Not sure why GM thought 6 little pucks were better than 2 large ones.
Best wishes.
Glen
I agree about the excessive front brake dust !
Until I used the "ArmorAll Wheel Protectant" it made a big difference ! cut down on the dust by at least 50% glad I gave it a chance before changing out the front pads.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I had one of my sons put the types of issues that concern us Corvette owners this way: "Really, Dad? Those are the things you're concerned about?". He calls them "First World Problems", and of course he's right. Good on you, Dan, for realizing how fortunate we all are when so many are not. I have always found Corvette people to be among the most giving, caring, compassionate folks I know. Yes, we do know there are many people suffering, and many if not most of us dig in and help. You are some great people. Enjoy your Christmas.

Get notified of new replies

To Mixed Feelings

Quick Reply: Mixed Feelings