C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits of a crossover/x-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Benefits of a crossover/x-pipe?

I've lived with my quiet stock exhaust long enough and want to hear the LS3's signature sounds. I want to get the Corsa Sport or Borla S Type II. Am leaning towards the Borla since I've been convinced that this newer style has no or little drone and it's a bit deeper than the Corsa.

Since I've delayed this purchase for so long, I want to do this right the first time. I have read many threads and heard the systems.

I will not be adding headers later.

The midpipe is supposed to minimize the burble and pop on deceleration?

How many of you found the decal sounds annoying? How many later went out and bought the midpipe after your initial purchase of just the rear mufflers and pipes?

So just what benefits will I get for the extra $350 to $400 by buying the midpipe along with the axel over mufflers.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited by level6; 01-20-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Can't answer your questions, but I'd give Borla a call. They used to have techs that could answer some questions.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by level6
I've lived with my quiet stock exhaust long enough and want to hear the LS3's signature sounds. I want to get the Corsa Sport or Borla S Type II. Am leaning towards the Borla since I've been convinced that this newer style has no or little drone and it's a bit deeper than the Corsa.

Since I've delayed this purchase for so long, I want to do this right the first time. I have read many threads and heard the systems.

How many of you found the decal sounds annoying? How many later went out and bought the midpipe after your initial purchase of just the rear mufflers and pipes?

So just what benefits will I get for the extra $350 to $400 by buying the midpipe along with the axel over mufflers.

Thanks for responding.
Borla has a youtube vid of it's three different systems.

The mid pipe does nothing as far as the decel noise is concerned. You can have the decal enlean (DFCO)turned off in the tune or the RPM adjusted.

An H pipe is like an extension of the header collector, it adds volume to increase the torque under the curve.

An X pipe works by smoothing the exhaust pulses. For both to work effectively they need to be as close to the front as possible, neither are in a vette and especially in any vehicle with the trans bolted to the engine. If I had my druthers, I'd choose the X pipe every time.

Since you aren't installing headers I wouldn't bother with the mid pipe and just get the over-the-AXLE kit.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

You already have a 'crossover pipe' on your vette, and it does not have anything to do with the 'burble'.

The crossover pipe is there to give the engine more horsepower, by helping balance the exhaust pulses.

The burble is caused by the factory tune, many other posts will explain all the details behind it.

I would expect a Borla or Corsa exhaust would still have a burble to some extent, so I would call them directly as suggested above to see what their techs tell you.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Borla has a youtube vid of it's three different systems.

The mid pipe does nothing as far as the decel noise is concerned. You can have the decal enlean (DFCO)turned off in the tune or the RPM adjusted.

An H pipe is like an extension of the header collector, it adds volume to increase the torque under the curve.

An X pipe works by smoothing the exhaust pulses. For both to work effectively they need to be as close to the front as possible, neither are in a vette and especially in any vehicle with the trans bolted to the engine. If I had my druthers, I'd choose the X pipe every time.

Since you aren't installing headers I wouldn't bother with the mid pipe and just get the over-the-AXLE kit.
Good information. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

All I can say is I love the throaty rumble the H-pipe gives me, X pipe with Borla classics was too monotonous
Old 01-20-2014, 01:34 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for responding.
I had a really hard time noticing any burble/pop on decel when my car had catalytic converters, and those were the high flow cats combined with long tube headers; I don't think you are going to notice much of it under any circumstances keeping the factory cast manifolds and their large catalytic converters.
Having said that, the H-Pipe/Mid Pipe won't make much of a difference on power or sound; I'd keep it as-is if you have no plans of adding long tube headers. The reason for this is because after the factory manifolds and cats the exhaust gas stream has lost most of its velocity so anything you put in there isn't going to do a whole lot to improve scavenging.

Also as a side note I thought the Corsas droned a little bit, so the Borlas probably will too. I ended up with C6Z06 mufflers in the end. My car runs headers though, so yours should be quieter.

Last edited by PowerLabs; 01-20-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I had Corsa on '08 coupe A6. Corsa says you need to use their H pipe on auto transmission to eliminate any drone. I did not add it, and had zero drone at all rpm ranges.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:56 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

All '08 to '11 C6s have an excellent mid-pipe with a built-in 'X' crossover ('12 added small cats), so no need to touch it. Just get an axle-back system . And yes, anything without a Helmholtz chamber will drone for sure. Make sure Borla has one, because Borla has always drone like a **** otherwise. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I would expect the deeper sounding Borla units to have drone.

If nothing else just by the nature of the deeper sound.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
I had Corsa on '08 coupe A6. Corsa says you need to use their H pipe on auto transmission to eliminate any drone. I did not add it, and had zero drone at all rpm ranges.
I have headers and Corsa mufflers [manual 6], and I have no annoying drone. I do get deceleration popping after a high rev, that's normal. If the popping gets on my nerves, I give it a slight shot of gas and it goes away.

Get notified of new replies

To Benefits of a crossover/x-pipe?

Quick Reply: Benefits of a crossover/x-pipe?