C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Parking Lot Knucklehead Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Default The Official Parking Lot Knucklehead Thread

This is to document the idiots/rude drivers that go out of their way to make it difficult in the parking lot. Feel free to add your own pictures and stories of the Gregarious Instinct at work!

I always park away from other cars, usually out in the hinterlands of the parking lot. Usually, it's just some knucklehead who has to park in the very next spot next to me even though there isn't a car near me for Fifty spots. I've got plenty of pics of those, too.

This evening, I was parked out in the last row with no other cars around, and when I got back out to the car, there was a Honda parked so close to me, that there was no way I could get into the car.

I went back to the shopping center, and started going store to store until I found the owner of the Honda and his wife. I explained that I could not get into my car because he was parked so close to me, and could he please move it so I could leave. As we walked back out, he was explaining how he was parked right in the middle of the spot, so he didn't see what the problem was. I commented how I noticed that he backed in so he could exit his vehicle (I didn't even ask him why he thought it necessary to park RIGHT next to me---sheesh!), and then asked him how his wife got out.

He, then said he let her out before he backed in.

I was so flabbergasted that I didn't even know what to say at that point. What did he think I was going to do to get in? He is a perfect gentleman to HIS wife, at least.

lisa
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Get in passenger side...pull out. Then kick the dog crap out of his pos Honda.

go home...His sickness is cured.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:54 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you didn't back in their wouldn't be a problem
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Yellogixxer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate this, too. Happens more than you would think. Can't figure some people out!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:08 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I can't explain why he felt the need to park next you, but both of you are within the lines. Those are just REALLY narrow parking spots. The solution: Don't shop at that store again.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive seen much worse. They look like very narrow spaces and he seems to be favoring his side already. And there is another car next to the empty lot. What did he think about you snapping a picture while he was inside his car? I wonder what story he is telling people right now LOL "Then this crazy corvette owner tracks me down at the shopping mall some how while we were Christmas shopping and tells me how he cant get into his car. So I obliged him and walked out to where the car was parked and pointed out the spaces are narrow and how I favored the drivers side already. Then I told the guy id move so he could get in his car. While moving my car i saw him taking pictures for some strange reason LOL
Old 12-21-2013, 12:14 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj

Not necessarily.....

Honda guy would have pulled in on the OTHER side.

I am one who advocates for anyone elses vehicle regardless of year, make, model. For some, it may be all they have and could afford. So treat others as you wish to be treated.

But straight up douchebaggery sometimes deserves a gift out of the ordinary.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Paging R&L's wagon photo.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Baxter's Dad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those spaces are 8' wide. Greedy owners do that to fit more vehicles into their lot. This type of crap is especially prevalent in areas of expensive real estate. Mostly seen in parking garages where the owner charges by the spot. The more vehicles he crams in the more dollars he makes.

What burns me is when you see 8'spaces in a big parking lot that's almost never full. It would be so easy to just make them 10'. I think some non-car guy architect learned in school that spaces are 8' and just uses the default size space.

Remedy is don't shop at this business, take two spots and get keyed by someone who thinks you're a privileged snob in a Vette or park in a handicapped spot and get towed.
No win situation.

I HATE small spaces,
Old 12-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 12-21-2013, 12:39 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Not necessarily.....

Honda guy would have pulled in on the OTHER side.

I am one who advocates for anyone elses vehicle regardless of year, make, model. For some, it may be all they have and could afford. So treat others as you wish to be treated.

But straight up douchebaggery sometimes deserves a gift out of the ordinary.
its like heads or tails, 50 50 chance
Old 12-21-2013, 01:18 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

WTF??
Old 12-21-2013, 01:37 AM
pala
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

sometimes when my wife and I go out in her ford fusion I always make sure to park next to vet, I know the owner will take care in not dinging my door, as I am,
i can say this though, i do see a lot of vets taking two spots/(karma).
just do what i do in those tight parking spaces. send the better half in the store while i sit out there and guard my bb. lol... or i have turned around and left if i don't like the spacing, makes my wife mad, lol
Old 12-21-2013, 01:40 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
WTF??
Its a joke hence the grinning smiley
Old 12-21-2013, 01:48 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Its a joke hence the grinning smiley
You're excused.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:51 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by torchsport
paging r&l's wagon photo.
Attachment 47754084

Last edited by R&L's C6; 01-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:58 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Never had this happen, then again, it's my personal opinion that parking out in the furthest reaches of the parking lot is like drawing a bullseye on your car. Lots of immature people will think "Look at this jackass thinking their sh*t doesn't stink." At least I did when I was younger. That car would get vandalized in a lot of areas.

I tend to park 5-6 spots away from the nearest car, but still in the main parking area. Haven't experienced a problem yet.

Get notified of new replies

To The Official Parking Lot Knucklehead Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a story to tell, but I've learned this much: park next to pickup trucks that are clean or have nice wheels, not the ones actually used for construction that have tools in the back.

There is something in the nature of proud truck owners that is shared with Corvette owners - and not shared by owners of many luxury cars or other sports cars: truck owners who love their cars do their own auto detailing; they don't see their cars as merely a status symbol as a porsche owner might; they care about their cars in a way that Vette owners do, and I'm not worried about them dinging my doors.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 AM
BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some pick up trucks are now approaching or have surpassed the cost of a Corvette.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, it is a relatively expensive truck, Honda Ridgeline. And, except for the fact that he's parked all the way out where you are, and right next to you, both of you are safely w/in your spaces. I kind of agree w. both jeff and duck in that regard: they're just very narrow spaces insisted upon (number and design) by local development codes as cars (mostly) get smaller and narrower.

Local and fed codes have also shrunk the street and highway lane widths, and that can be really hazardous.

I'd say this driver/owner has a doofus attitude and only thinks narrowly, about HIS truck. Had it been someone (not you) with an attitude or a seemingly nice Vette but not really, they would have pried open their door and banged the crap out of the side of his truck, maybe even keyed it before getting in and driving away. He should consider himself lucky. You, not so lucky, but the car was ok except for the long walk to find him.

Quick Reply: The Official Parking Lot Knucklehead Thread