C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Parking Lot Knucklehead Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,190 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Several years ago, we pulled into the big parking lot at the USS Alabama site. Always trying to avoid door dings, I parked way out in the section that looked like no one ever used it.

We hadn't even got out of the 'vette when a beat up old Ford, driven by someone even older than me, pulled in and parked right beside our car, so close it would be tough to even open my door. And not another car within a hundred yards of us. Without ever looking at us, the old guy got out of his car and started to walk away.

Then he turned around, grinned, and said "I used to have a Corvette, and I know how you feel about your car. I'm a volunteer here, and I'm just funnin' you!"

He got back into in his car, moved it over to the normal parking area, and waved.
Made my whole day!

That. Is. Awesome!

lisa
Old 12-21-2013, 07:36 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffer
.....we then walked through the mall parking lot in tacoma washington.....
That mall is ghetto.

One has to be cautious walking through the parking lot just to get inside where you still don't feel "safe" only to come back out and continuously look over your shoulder.

When I moved to Fort Lewis, I stayed in that Extended Stay Hotel just across the street (behind Best Buy) for a few months and there were CONSTANT vehicle break-ins. I packed up and GTF outta there..... The last day of my stay I went to work at 5 am and came back at 6:45 to find three cars were broke into. Two cars to the left of where I was parked and one to the right.

That area is GHETTO.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:52 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,934 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
So let me get this right. The Vette owner is perfectly okay for parking out there in the middle of the parking spot. The Honda owner is an idiot for parking out there in the middle of the parking spot. WTF?

I see more douchebaggery and arrogance from Vette owners in regards to parking than anyone else.

Don't want someone to park near your Vette? Don't park in a parking lot. I don't understand the attitude that anyone who parks anywhere near your precious Vette, even if it's perfectly centered in their spot, is an idiot or worse.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
So let me get this right. The Vette owner is perfectly okay for parking out there in the middle of the parking spot. The Honda owner is an idiot for parking out there in the middle of the parking spot. WTF?

Yes, that's correct. Vette owners are special....
Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I would never damage someone's vehicle no matter what, but if they even put a tiny mark on mine, I WOULD wait until they returned to their vehicle to confront them, with pictures of said damage and the proximity and license plate of their vehicle. Honestly, if I see any vehicle parked alone and far away, I assume they parked there because they WANTED to be alone and I respect that and will stay away, and all I want is that same respect for my vehicle. Too bad some people are just idiots. This summer I was at a local Cars and Coffee and parked next to another Corvette owner I knew. There were probably about 150 cars of all makes, in a very large (over 1,000 parking spots) lot, and since we both had chairs, I took 2 spots, as did he and most others. After a few minutes a pair of nicely modded Mazda Miatas pulled in and parked right next to me, the closest one barely a foot from my door, and no way could the person have got out of the passenger side without hitting my door. So I'm watching as the female starts to open the door, and I stopped her in the act. I explained that I understood they wanted to park together, but there were hundreds of other spots and that they should have some respect for my car (likely worth well more than both Miatas together). I told them if they insisted on parking there, to back out so I could get in and I'd move my car. No "I'm sorry" or anything, just a dirty look as they moved. I guess I'm a *****, but WTF is wrong with some people?

You took up two spots and then bitch about other people's parking...
Old 12-21-2013, 07:59 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Yes, that's correct. Vette owners are special....
I drive a Ferrari as my daily driver. My Vette is reserved for when I need a larger luggage area. Just wondering what that makes me, a partying fool?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 PM
bob8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it when I park in the outer limits & some Idiot has to put their cart next to my car..that is intentionally going out of their way to be a *******!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:17 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I drive a Ferrari as my daily driver. My Vette is reserved for when I need a larger luggage area. Just wondering what that makes me, a partying fool?

Super special..
Old 12-21-2013, 09:55 PM
NinjaBum
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 103 Posts

Thats why I park super far away, next to one of those medians AND take up two spots. Don't think its being a douche if there is a square mile of open parking lot to choose from. I wont do it if it is busy and if it is really packed I likely planned ahead and don't have the vette.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I say good for you Magnum PI.
Now go cover up those pasty legs, Tom Selleck you aren't.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:05 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Be glad you are not in Europe where an Audi A4 feels like a bug car. I always looked fir end spaces with my Trans Am
Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Super special..
Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I say good for you Magnum PI.
Now go cover up those pasty legs, Tom Selleck you aren't.

I have more than 125,000 miles on my C6, more than 600K miles in five Corvettes, including the C6, over the past 23, almost 24 years.

I have had a Corvette in 45 of the lower 48 states. Only places missing are Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

I park at hotels, restaurants, motels, hardware stores, convenience stores, Walmart , big box stores, malls, out of the way gun stores, etc... ...and I have NEVER had a problem.

I don't take up two spaces. I don't park in the North 40. I don't antagonize other drivers or others parking in the same lots where I park - I treat my cars as exactly what they are: cars.

Now that I have replaced my C6 as my daily driver I take the Ferrari to the same places I have my Vettes over the past almost quarter of a century....

...I'm 72, have a heart condition, and am leaving on a 1,300 - 1,400 mile road trip Friday...

No one on his death bed ever said, "I wish I'd ridden the Harley or driven the ___Vette___ Ferrari____ xxx_ less...
Old 12-22-2013, 01:05 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

You took up two spots and then bitch about other people's parking...
Read what I said, there were about 150 cars in a 1,000+ car parking lot, and most if not all were taking up 2 spots. The main reason I did was to give the guy next to me some space, which is all I wanted as well. Directly to the left of my car were at least 30 open spaces, and the idiot parked within about 10" of my door and his passenger tries to exit the car and I'm the a*****e??? I told the moron not to get out, and if they insisted on that spot I'd move so they could park there, I think that's being a lot more reasonable than they were in parking so close when there were plenty of open spots. The point is having respect for others vehicles, no matter what those vehicles may be.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 AM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have more than 125,000 miles on my C6, more than 600K miles in five Corvettes, including the C6, over the past 23, almost 24 years.

I have had a Corvette in 45 of the lower 48 states. Only places missing are Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

I park at hotels, restaurants, motels, hardware stores, convenience stores, Walmart , big box stores, malls, out of the way gun stores, etc... ...and I have NEVER had a problem.

I don't take up two spaces. I don't park in the North 40. I don't antagonize other drivers or others parking in the same lots where I park - I treat my cars as exactly what they are: cars.

Now that I have replaced my C6 as my daily driver I take the Ferrari to the same places I have my Vettes over the past almost quarter of a century....

...I'm 72, have a heart condition, and am leaving on a 1,300 - 1,400 mile road trip Friday...

No one on his death bed ever said, "I wish I'd ridden the Harley or driven the ___Vette___ Ferrari____ xxx_ less...
Kudos to you sir. You enjoy life and drive your cars. I do drive my vette a lot and to go to all the places you mentioned but I do try to park away from other cars in end parking spots. However, I never take more than one parking spot.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Get in passenger side...pull out. Then kick the dog crap out of his pos Honda.

go home...His sickness is cured.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 AM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I find myself without enough room to comfortably open my door to get in or out I use the window valet to lower the window. I can get in my car much more easily with the window down.

I even do it to myself sometimes. I'll park on the end spot as close to the curb as I can and sometimes shrubbery or landscaping prevents me from opening my door very far. Love the window valet.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:40 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Never had this happen, then again, it's my personal opinion that parking out in the furthest reaches of the parking lot is like drawing a bullseye on your car. Lots of immature people will think "Look at this jackass thinking their sh*t doesn't stink." At least I did when I was younger. That car would get vandalized in a lot of areas.

I tend to park 5-6 spots away from the nearest car, but still in the main parking area. Haven't experienced a problem yet.
Oh Oh ....this is twice in one day that I agree with Prof Death....I must be mellowing out..ha

Get notified of new replies

To The Official Parking Lot Knucklehead Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Maybe this will help relieve some frustration when you place a copy on someone's window. Keep in mind that the recipient could be you.

BTW, I never go out of my way to park distantly from others. A few spaces maybe or choose one at the end of a row. Unless I'm with a group of other Vettes, I never back in a spot either. Any action that makes you appear special or showing off, will invite those who are jerks or worse to give you grief or damage. The bottom line is to not show snobbery.
I treat it just like 4thC4at60. 114K and 47 states (I missed VT) in my '08 and never a problem anywhere.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I really enjoy my car and take great care in its appearance, almost to the point of being accused of an OCD. I'm sure many here can relate!

With that said, I park wherever there is an available spot BUT I will seek out a decent vehicle vice a beater POS and avoid any hybrid at all costs- mutual respect!

/r

Allen
Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Roddy1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLD.70DRIVERMPG-RET.
Some pick up trucks are now approaching or have surpassed the cost of a Corvette.
My son's truck is close to the price of a Z06.

Quick Reply: The Official Parking Lot Knucklehead Thread