C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you carry a concealed weapon in your corvette, I found a great way to secure it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Steve-O
What if..... You are in the bank, you see a robbery taking place, you have your gun and use it to stop what appears to be a felony in progress,(remember I'm not a cop).
With all due respect, if you even have to ask a question like that you shouldn't be carrying a weapon.

When I took my concealed carry class years ago they emphasized - over and over - that you don't get a permit to play cop. You get a permit to protect your loved ones. Period. Lots of time was spent in class talking about tactics. You know, about how to get away from a threat, not go toward it. How to hide in a defensible position if at all possible.

Pulling a gun is a very last resort to protect your life, not to play cop by trying to stop a robbery.

Carrying my weapon in the Vette in a locked safe screwed to the carpet behind the seat makes zero sense to me.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignoring the haters.

I set a personal record, over 100 responders, over 4,000 viewed the post.

Steve_R said , " With all due respect, if you even have to ask a question like that you shouldn't be carrying a weapon."

I take no offense by you judging whether I should or shouldn't be carrying a weapon.

Think about it bro, every mentally ill deviant carries a concealed weapon already. Florida hands out ccw's unless you are a felon or a mental patient plus $55 a set of prints and a safety class. A room temperature IQ,a class, $55= ?

We have no idea who is carrying what or what is on their mind. DAMN RIGHT, I applied for a ccw the day it became available, I carried anyway, a heavy frame S&W highway patrolman .357 magnum, working in Miami in the 80's-90's everybody was strapped.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 AM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you carry weapon, you don't have to talk about it. Just know how and when to use it. If you take it out, be willing to use it. A tough judgement!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 AM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Carry on your body; when I get in the car I put it in the center console (fits a G19 like a glove). One handed access in <3 seconds from the driver's seat.

A locked up safe, requiring that you have to spend time moving a seat forward, unlocking a safe, etc to get to a gun... surely the best option of you are parking your car outside and want to store a gun in it (personally I would not do this) but from a standpoint of defensive use, all but useless, IMO. If I were going to do this I'd take it out of the safe and put it in the console when I got in the car. But since I live in a state where it is practical it is on my body or in the console.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:22 AM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Your center console would literally melt long before it would get hot enough to cook off a round in the gun... tunnel heat doesn't even come anywhere near the vicinity where you'd have to worry about that. Nor any other temperature that you are going to find outside of an oven.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:31 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ny32182
Your center console would literally melt long before it would get hot enough to cook off a round in the gun... tunnel heat doesn't even come anywhere near the vicinity where you'd have to worry about that. Nor any other temperature that you are going to find outside of an oven.
Well, at least two of us agreed on that fact.

Elmer
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In MA, it has to be under your direct control in the vehicle, so basically on your person, not in glove box, etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This poor guy in Short Hills NJ should have had one in his Range Rover.
Carjackers are out of control there, and the bad guys are the ones with guns.
They put a bullet in his head (right in front of his wife) for his truck.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/10k-rewa...ll-carjackers/
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100

I keep a gun in the car (Ruger SP101 with laser grips).

I almost never carry a gun on my person...

I stay out of high crime areas and I'm not involved in the drug trade or other criminal activities...

If you don't maintain a combat mindset you'll be too slow to bring it into play...

If you don't practice you won't hit anything but maybe an innocent bystander...

You face severe liability if you accidentally injure someone with an errant round...

So, given your reasons listed above for not carrying a gun on your person, why do you then carry a gun in your car?
I would think that the things you outlined above as being valid reasons for not carrying a gun on your person, would also be just as valid for not carrying a gun in your car.

1) You've already established that you "stay out of high crime areas and are not involved in the drug trade or criminal activities."

2) I'm sure you don't "maintain a combat mindset" while driving your car so as not to be "too slow to bring it (your gun) into play."

3) I doubt you routinely sit in your Vette and practice drawing your pistol from the console, or practice shooting it from a seated position in your car.

4) And certainly there wouldn't be less of a chance of "accidentally injuring someone with an errant round" if you were shooting through your car window or car door as opposed to a situation that might require you to draw and fire a pistol that is carried on your person.

Regards,
-Ward
Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BSE1956
This poor guy in Short Hills NJ should have had one in his Range Rover.
Carjackers are out of control there, and the bad guys are the ones with guns.
They put a bullet in his head (right in front of his wife) for his truck.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/10k-rewa...ll-carjackers/
I would point out that this was an "Upscale" Mall meant to attract the more affluent shoppers. Those who say that they don't hang out in the bad neighborhoods are fooling themselves thinking that the predators don't come into their area. They do. And they know they will find easy prey.

I look for this trend to get worse. Especially in the Northeast states who have made it pretty much impossible for the citizenry to carry a gun legally. Those who don't care about that silly law now know that they will get little if any resistance from an unarmed citizenry.

I have relatives in CT, MD & DE. I was born and raised in MD. But I hate to go back there or any of those states because of their silly laws which prohibit my CCW. DE does. But crossing the MD-DE line often due to travel makes the DE reciprocity near useless.

FWIW the Glock 30 won't fire or melt in the console. Neither will the 1911. However, when I leave the car, the gun leave with me or goes in the trunk. Being a Vert, it can't be seen in the trunk.

Good thread Steve O.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

go LAPD style just shoot
Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

A lawyer involved in " analyzing construction-related legal claims" in New Jersey dies in a "fatal shooting."

Of course they were after his car.....But Maybe...
Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM
michaelgerson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default California Input

In California, without an almost impossible to get carry permit, the only legal way to transport in a vehicle is if it is impossible to use if needed. Must be unloaded in a locked hard case. Ammo kept separate and some recommend separate locked container. Some even say mags should be emptied and in the locked case. A trunk counts as a locked compartment. Obviously a Corvette doesn't count, thus a locked hard case only option. Be careful out there.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my Kimber Ultra Raptor .45, 3" barrel, fits perfect in the center console
Old 12-17-2013, 07:20 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by jedblanks
A lawyer involved in " analyzing construction-related legal claims" in New Jersey dies in a "fatal shooting."

Of course they were after his car.....But Maybe...
Fugetabouwdit.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been wanting to get a good holster for my PX4 subcompact and a couple of days ago my wife told me to order one for myself for xmas.
I sent for a Crossbreed Snapslide OWB. Should be a good way to keep the gun on me when we travel.

Get notified of new replies

To If you carry a concealed weapon in your corvette, I found a great way to secure it.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that any of us here expect it, I almost dropped the MacBook when J Vette said. "Good thread Steve O".

Thank you J Vette, my intent was just to say this might interest those that carry guns or carry other valuables, that need to be secured.

150 responses later it turned into a pretty interesting snapshot of the forum members outlook on guns, carrying , etc.

I wish I knew the secret to extracting the steak from the cow.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:56 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

I know someone who when traveling just puts his weapon on the passenger seat covered by a newspaper. When he exits the vehicle he puts in his holster (concealed). Seems like pretty quick access to me.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Holy crap! You guys must live in some seriously high crime areas!
The old adage applies:

"Better to be judged by twelve than to be carried by six"

The most angelic among us, occasionally end up in bad situations where we need to protect ourselves or our loved ones. Simply a matter of being prepared for the worst situations, like an insurance policy.

Quick Reply: If you carry a concealed weapon in your corvette, I found a great way to secure it.