C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you carry a concealed weapon in your corvette, I found a great way to secure it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
So what difference does it make if he has a permit to carry or not?
because we are one of the last states to abide to ccw. BC this state is filled with idiots and bigger idiot politicians who dont care about public safety, only how to dig this state out of debt that they created............
Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
My gun (Glock 30) would fit in the center console but I am afraid that it gets too hot there and would perhaps fire the weapon.
You can add heat shielding to the tunnel area to help cut down on heat inside the cabin and especially the CC. Next time you have the torque tube out you can do some serious heat prevention treatment.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Kurt D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My gun (Glock 30) would fit in the center console but I am afraid that it gets too hot there and would perhaps fire the weapon.
If it gets hot enough in your console to do that, you got way bigger problems... A holster will prevent a ND from foreign items.

However the safe idea is still a good one. If you have to leave your pistol or valuables in the car for whatever reason, and the worst thing happens - someone breaks in - it might just save them from being stolen. Yes, I know someone can get into the safe if they really want to BUT if it's secured enough, getting it out of the car takes time and a thief doesn't always have that luxury.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

My Ruger 9mm fits in the console just fine, where I can access it when I need it.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not concealed but I can open carry here. Snapped holster or case is legal. Only gray area is the transition to open to concealed when I leave the vehicle.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 PM
surfinva27
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for center console. and right back in my concealed holster when i get out
Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone licensed to carry a concealed weapon really want that gun accessible to others ? Why not limit access to yourself and those you specifically designate ? (up to ten (10) fingerprints can be stored).

Some responders stated, "mine is carried in the door slot, the console, under the steering wheel, etc."

Someone said I was crazy because I had limited access, behind the passenger seat. I think anyone not "securing" the firearm is crazy, plus exposing themselves to enormous liability or responsibility if someone is hurt or killed with that easily accessed firearm.

Its pretty easy to move the seatback forward 6" even with a passenger in seat, the safe hinge is down so its like a holster EXCEPT no passengers can access gun, no valet has access, no small child or person thats unfamiliar with firearms, the car wash guy, etc., etc., etc.

You could easily mount the safe just behind the protrusion that separates the coupe compartment from the seating area, like behind the waterfall in a convertible, or on the floor, but then the safe can be seen and that is not what I want to do.

Safes are used for a reason, i.e.; money, firearms, i.d. Nobody stores salt and pepper in a safe.

Obviously I think its a great idea, since it was mine but, fingerprint access is damn secure, and that 4 seconds insures that nobodies putting their hands on that gun but me or those I designate, and I will not expose myself to the liability or the weight on my conscience of someone handling a handgun that shouldn't.

Who knows, maybe Im just paranoid and/or concerned about the safety of others. I suspect some might not agree with the fact that I carry the Glock in an Alessi ankle holster.

People rarely consider whether someone has a gun around their ankle, giving me the element of surprise.

As for those that might debate whether those of us that carry concealed, have time to pull a gun when one is stuck in my side ? My answers is, Im giving up my wallet, my rings and my cash, no questions asked. BUT if there is a situation where I would say, "man, I wish I had my gun" I would rather have it, walking around the block or driving my car.

Thens theres always the scenario where you give up everything, no argument and when the offender leaves, you draw your gun and say, "hey you forgot my ROLEX", he turns around and......
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,301 Posts

It doesn't get THAT hot......
The following users liked this post:
bigjeff1222 (03-03-2023)
Old 12-14-2013, 11:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-O
Does anyone licensed to carry a concealed weapon really want that gun accessible to others ? Why not limit access to yourself and those you specifically designate ? (up to ten (10) fingerprints can be stored).
My guns are either..

A. On my person.

B. Locked up.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
How do you secure your safe to the vehicle?
Sunset-C6,

I forgot to tell yiou, I mounted mine with short sharp screws, they grip the carpet and the underlayment and surprisingly I can't yank it out, its really pretty solid when the carpet winds around the screw and the heat of using a power driver melts the nylon fibers around the screws, at least mine did.

BudGreen3564,

I really like the LCP 380, I add Crimson Trace LaserGuard lasers to any of my guns that can accommodate them, it doesn't add much bulk and they are around $150. Sorry about this image size Im using my phone.

Last edited by Steve-O; 12-15-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Holy crap! You guys must live in some seriously high crime areas!
No I just drive through lots of them and carry regardless of vehicle I am in
Old 12-15-2013, 02:00 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK47
what can a gun do, what a baseball bat or even your own hands can't?
It can kill from a long way off. I carry my weapon on me and the only decision is where. Better be aware of individual state laws if you cross the line though. Many have reciprocal carry laws while some don't; know before you go and stay legal.

Last edited by jdot; 12-15-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Not when you're protected like this. It tends to keep the crime down. That's the whole point.
BTW, nice set up to carry.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Holy crap, you could hide all kinds of stuff in a double Travel Buddy Cup Holder. It looks like it's part of the car. At least to 99% of the people who might be looking in the car.

Only Vette people wouldn't know it didn't come that way.

lisa
Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm always amazed at the ways people can convince themselves,"it won't happen to me." I live in the country and not 3 months after having a talk with my neighbors about their vulnerability to a home invasion and stressing that they needed to keep a gun on their belt, not the nightstand upstairs, it happened. Two thugs with pantyhose over their heads opened the screen door and grabbed the elderly couple, handcuffing them with duct tape. They ransacked the house while my neighbors wondered if they were going to live or die. Their fear was so great afterwards they left the home they had loved and moved back to the city. It can happen anywhere and I'll say it again. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Silver 2008 C6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
because we are one of the last states to abide to ccw. BC this state is filled with idiots and bigger idiot politicians who dont care about public safety, only how to dig this state out of debt that they created............
.380 in the vette, and a MAL on the ranch!!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-O
Sunset-C6,

I forgot to tell yiou, I mounted mine with short sharp screws, they grip the carpet and the underlayment and surprisingly I can't yank it out, its really pretty solid when the carpet winds around the screw and the heat of using a power driver melts the nylon fibers around the screws, at least mine did.

BudGreen3564,

I really like the LCP 380, I add Crimson Trace LaserGuard lasers to any of my guns that can accommodate them, it doesn't add much bulk and they are around $150. Sorry about this image size Im using my phone.

Take a look at center of mass safe. Screwed to the carpet is not a good idea.

Get notified of new replies

To If you carry a concealed weapon in your corvette, I found a great way to secure it.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

No not at all, in fact Naples is one of the wealthiest cities in the U.S. But all it takes is one a$$hole who wants to rob you or jack your car. Obviously I can't let that happen nor can I let that individual allow to live so down he goes.

And the best part is the tax payers save a bunch of coin not having to support him in prison. Everybody wins where's the bad?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

.380 in the console.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
Take a look at center of mass safe. Screwed to the carpet is not a good idea.

I must say I am shocked by the number of people that do NOT have a SECURE method of seeing to it that no unauthorized person, child or adult, has access to a loaded firearm, plus the liability is "ginormous", plus I could NOT live with myself if somebody got hurt because my firearm was within easy reach or could be stumbled over, like when someone is looking for something in your glove box. If you carry in something less secure, you are going to make LEO very uncomfortable when you say I have a gun under the steering wheel, or when you open the glovebox to get registration and insurance. You better advise before you open that glovebox, the STUN GUN isn a toy, ask any police officer.

Sunset-C6,

You would be how surprised how secure the safe is using screws that only penetrate the carpet structures not the fiberglass, aluminum or whatever is under the last piece of insulation.

I have pulled and tugged and tried prying the safe up with a large screwdriver, I don't know why but its not going anywhere unless the SOLE purpose by a felon is to steal it at all costs, no matter how much damage is done to the car.

Its like when I mounted the base plate for my nitrous tank, I did have the car on a lift and screwed upwards from the underside but thats to hold #50 (filled) aluminum bottle. The safe with firearm, clip, phone, wallet, etc is 6.5#'s, not very hard to secure.

Last edited by Steve-O; 12-15-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: If you carry a concealed weapon in your corvette, I found a great way to secure it.