C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Fall in Texas damages Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Which is why my SO and I are looking t Naples for our retirement
It is paradise here. look me up when you make the move.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:45 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Yep, ice is the worst. Cars in the ditches around here all over today. With the sub zero temps the deicing chemicals just don't work.
I drove up to Eagan on Saturday to avoid the snow. I thought it was cold in Missouri. It's frigid here in the cities and very slippery. Luckily, the hotel is just around the corner from work and I have my winter car, not my Vette.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I drove up to Eagan on Saturday to avoid the snow. I thought it was cold in Missouri. It's frigid here in the cities and very slippery. Luckily, the hotel is just around the corner from work and I have my winter car, not my Vette.
Welcome to our wonderful state. It's gonna be ugly cold for the next few days with just enough snow to muck up the roads. Good thing you have your winter car. Driving a C6, especially a GS, would be suicide in this kind of weather.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jackhall99
I will presume you typed a quick reply without grasping what I stated, which was "Nobody should be out driving on ICE IMHO." I stated exactly what you subsequently posted. I was NOT laughing about driving on ice.

Yes I did, sorry bout that. Seemed you were laughing at me for fearing "other drivers".
Been in Texas all my life and believe me we do not get enough snow/ice to have a clue how to drive on it. That is why I don't.

Hmmm, wonder who will win tonight? LOL
Old 12-09-2013, 08:09 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by wayback
Yes I did, sorry bout that. Seemed you were laughing at me for fearing "other drivers".
Been in Texas all my life and believe me we do not get enough snow/ice to have a clue how to drive on it. That is why I don't.

No problem. My family will diss me, but Dallas!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I don't drive any of my cars when it is icy. Keep on laughing.
I got a beater for daily driving and I Z cost a little more than 60K I know I over paid...lol
Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Speak for yourself!

I drive mine year around in the lovely 'burbs of Chicago. Nobody should be out driving on ICE IMHO. But reasonable snow in a properly equipped Corvette is OK.

I crack up at folks who are afraid of their $60,000 'vette being damaged by "other drivers", yet they have no concern to take their equally valued (name the car) on the road to be exposed to those same other drivers.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Speak for yourself!

I drive mine year around in the lovely 'burbs of Chicago. Nobody should be out driving on ICE IMHO. But reasonable snow in a properly equipped Corvette is OK.

I crack up at folks who are afraid of their $60,000 'vette being damaged by "other drivers", yet they have no concern to take their equally valued (name the car) on the road to be exposed to those same other drivers.
Good for you.
I don't have to, so I don't. I'd just as soon get my other vehicle full of slush, salt, brine and sand beaten. I'll leave my vette where it is, and drive it when the roads are clear and clean.

The great thing about life, we all make choices, sometimes good, sometimes bad. No one can tell me that a vette is a great handling car on ice or snow. Define properly equipped?

I believe I'm making a good choice IMO
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
... I don't have to, so I don't. I'd just as soon get my other vehicle full of slush, salt, brine and sand beaten. .... .. No one can tell me that a vette is a great handling car on ice or snow. Define properly equipped?

I believe I'm making a good choice IMO
I don't have to either with a choice of three others to use.

And the slush and salt (aka brine) do wash off.

Read my post. I do not drive ANY of my cars on ice. NO VEHICLE is safe on that stuff.

For snow up to 3" or not much more, my C6 does good on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tires. They go on in late Oct. and come off in April. If much snow is expected or possible, I'll take another car.

Great handling is a poor choice of words as NO VEHICLE is "great" handling in snow. I used the term "OK", and if you know how to drive a rear-wheel drive var, and that includes several factors including a soft right foot on the gas and brake, it does OK.

And your choice not to drive your car is the right one. For you!

When I bought my first cars (Austin Healeys in the early '60s and my first Corvette in '67), we did not have toys. We bought them and drove them out of necessity. So my choice is right for me.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Same ice/snow storm here in Oklahoma City and then at 12:10 PM on Saturday we had a 4.8 earthquake. The temp here is in the teens and twenties so we don't have anything falling from the melt yet. I saw a VW bug convertible get destroyed by an ice slide from only a two story roof several years ago. She had a car full up to the top of the seat backs with snow and ice and no insurance to replace the top bows rag top, windshield and hood.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Which is why my SO and I are looking t Naples for our retirement
:toe tap: Calling for 5" here tonight.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who will win?????
You guys from Texas got spanked!
Can't drive with a little snow, and can't play football either.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by coryvte
Who will win?????
You guys from Texas got spanked!
Can't drive with a little snow, and can't play football either.
I agree on the football part.
But I dare you to bring your vette down here for a drive.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 AM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree on the football part.
But I dare you to bring your vette down here for a drive.
I was lived in the Chicagoland area all my life and have seen plenty of ice and snow storms. My vette does NOT get put away for the winter, I do have. My other car is a Tahoe and that's 2 wheel drive. I've had Mustangs, Camaros, a Monza, and many 2 wd SUVs, all cars are the same, once you remember that going is not the problem, stopping is. Texas ice, bring it on.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I'd just as soon get my other vehicle full of slush, salt, brine and sand beaten.
Right there ^^ & why I store my Z after the snow falls, also.
Even using Apsis the sandblasting's murderous.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM
LantanaTxVette
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Given that I spent most of the last two decades in Minneapolis before moving here to the Dallar area this summer, I must say I am surprised of the crippling effects of this past weekend's storm.

If I was to rewind the clock 12 months and see the news coverage of this TX ice storm from a sofa in MN I would be laughing and calling all of the TX drivers pansies......and I would be WRONG!!

In North Dallas we received nearly 4 inches of sleet/freezing rain, to the point that it looks like snow is covering lawns/roofs/cars, etc. However, it isn't, it is pure ice. You can walk accross the lawn, that again appears as if it is covered with snow, and not even leave a track, it is pure ice you are walking on. Now apply that same thought to driving on it....pure nasty.

So all of those midwest drivers thinking that southern drivers just don't know how to drive in wintry conditions need to reconsider their remarks. Take your Vette (or your winter beater if the Vette is stored for the winter), and find a local ice rink. Not a rink with snow covering it or a frozen lake, but a legitimate ice rink (no cheating with that little bit of snow or dry pavement to aid in traction). Go take a couple laps, and then report back how your winter driving skills suffice......watch out for the boards!

My 'Vette is also stored away....until next week when we'll be back to 60
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LantanaTxVette
... So all of those midwest drivers thinking that southern drivers just don't know how to drive in wintry conditions need to reconsider their remarks. ....

The part of your post that I made bold is accurate, while your entire statement that I've underlined is correct.

Texans, Oklahomans, and others get ice storms once in a while. I agree the storms are nasty, and the sane thing is not venture out in it. But the locals venture forth, and wreck their cars or slide off the road etc. They can't handle it, their highway crews are not equipped to handle it, even their five layer cloverleafs aren't designed for it. It's sad watching some driver hit a down ramp and .... GONE!

Get notified of new replies

To Snow Fall in Texas damages Corvette

Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Why would anyone put thick sheets of ice on a roof anyway?

Doesn't exist where I live.

Why would you want to live where roads get full of ice and snow?

I wonder if those damaged cars will be covered by Obamacare?

Seems to me, if you like your dents,...you can keep your dents.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Why would anyone put thick sheets of ice on a roof anyway?

Doesn't exist where I live.

Why would you want to live where roads get full of ice and snow?

I wonder if those damaged cars will be covered by Obamacare?

Seems to me, if you like your dents,...you can keep your dents.
why would anyone live where they have a good potential for hurricanes?

The climate here in N. Texas is great. We get a few inches of snow a year on average... this "ice storm" is as bad as I've seen it in a lifetime of living here. There are honestly maybe a total of 30 days out of the year where I wouldn't drive my car (rain, snow, ice all included).

It's not Florida or So Cal, but it is a great place to live and drive your car year round.

Just need to make sure to have a garage, unlike the guy in the OP.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

This was filmed today in Dallas at the Great Wolf Lodge.

http://video.dallasnews.com?freewhee...s&VID=25431081

Quick Reply: Snow Fall in Texas damages Corvette