C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick

Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

OP, do you have a secondary car to drive to and from work/in heavy traffic? If so, then keep it and get the stick. Thats what I did with my Z06. My girlfriend at the time didnt know a thing about Corvettes or stick shift cars but would refuse to ride in my Z06. It is a rough riding car and even the smoothest of shifts are still jerky. I dont blame her. The base Vette is more tame manners, however it is still a stick shift with over 400hp. You will tire out of driving it around town constantly and will be too eager to pounce on it when you hit open road resulting in too many tickets and setting fire to your ins. rates. MY ADVICE: if you have a daily beater, get the stick, if not, get the auto. The learning is easy...took me two days and a few weeks after to become "second nature"...I learned on my Z06 when I was 22.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Rent a stick car learn to drive then buy a stick/
Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto. If your going to drive the car allot. Having to shift all the time gets old fast.
If you have to pretend to do the shifting game, get paddle shifters
Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
.....Having to shift all the time gets old fast.......
I disagree; but, apparently for some drivers, it does.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:05 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the Z06. Ditch the GF. You'll have plenty more. Plus why the hell are you dating when you are 20 years old? I'd get stick. Once you learn it. It becomes natural. I don't use every gear when driving. I start in 1st, skip to 3rd, then 5th or 6th depending on where I am.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Sticks are old school. They are fine for a truck but paddle shifting is where it's at in a sports car. The stick is no faster, it's annoying and tiresome. When you are in traffic the auto is much easier and gives you the choice to shift or let the car do what it likes. I have driven both and my current GS has an automatic. That's my opinion and it doesn't mean anything to you so buy whatever YOU want since you will forking over the dough to pay for it.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Jameskapp001@gmail
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Buy the stick. Started with a 409 4spd in 1965 at 18 because my dad wouldn't sign for a gorgeous yellow fastback(he said I'd kill myself, damn near did with the 409). Have owned 6 Corvettes over the years and just purchased number 7 which is 6sd manual. It feels great and puts what was missing from the driving experience back. Of course I went from a C4 to a C6.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:53 AM
HRS KLR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other thing to remember with a stick is, if you are bad at riding the clutch and what not. It will wear out and have to be replaced at some point $$ for someone that cant do it themselves. It will wear out over time regardless.

A lot of stop and go traffic will wear it out faster than driving down the highway every day. Can you learn to drive stick in a vette, of course. But only you can say whether or not you can pick it up easily as we dont know you.

Are you the type that likes to lay back and just cruise or be part of the fun rowing through the gears.

I drive both and have been for many years and both have pros and cons
Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

I never understood how one can ride the clutch? That's constant foot pressure on it and def noticeable.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
HRS KLR
Instructor

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
I never understood how one can ride the clutch? That's constant foot pressure on it and def noticeable.
I am referring to new clutch drivers riding/slipping the clutch when taking off. Things like starting from an incline and such. Someone that knows how to drive a stick can take off without doing it and inexperienced drivers will "ride the clutch" so they don't roll back or dump the clutch and take off like a rocket.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by ReckDalton
just want some info from people who know what there talking about
Others have offered some sage advise and here's my 2 cents.
At 20 y/o be absolutely sure to check insurance rates, before signing anything. You don't want any surprises after the purchase.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by noz34me
OK, I'm going to take a different tack. 20 years old? Are you still living at home with the parents or are you independently wealthy?

If the former, forget buying a $30K car and go to school, learn a trade, whatever. Get out of your parent's house, and learn how to make it on your own.

If the latter, buy whatever you want, but be careful. No dealer is going to teach you how to drive a stick. Learn how to on a 4 cylinder beater, and you will be amazed how 400+ ft/lbs of trq. makes that easier.
I'm 20 years old been on my own since I was 18 me and my wife been together since 9grade in high school . I am a CNC machinist at a machine shop make good money. She's in the dental Industry so were not just some punk *** kidds wanting a FAST car . I have 2010 lifted cummins dodge so I know how to take care of my own stuff and were both going to school for what we do now to better are selfs .
Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It's really a personal call and how you drive the car may influence your decision. If the car is a daily driver and you're stuck for hours each day in bumper-to-bumper city traffic, some would prefer an automatic. That said with a performance car IMO the manual-shift offers the greatest 'connection' between the driver, the car and the road in any driving situations. With respect to the Corvette automatic transmission (even with paddle-shifters), the automatic simply does not provide the precision and control afforded by the manual-shift. Admittedly I'm biased as my car is a dedicated track car. FWIW I don't know any serious Corvette road racers that use an automatic transmission.

I would certainly try to learn (first) how to drive a manual-shift if even on another car. Get the basics down before you test drive the Corvette. It really isn't difficult and with a little practice it becomes 'second nature.' There's nothing wrong with either choice but I (obviously) would recommend the manual-shift. Good luck whichever you decide on.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you really need to learn how to STIR YOUR OWN GEARS. if you ever travel overseas you will need to know how to drive a manual.

if you drive in heavy traffic or are drag racing an auto is the way to go, but if you want to be more involved in the drive, buy a manual.

i would find an old civic, or s10 and learn on it. it will take you 30 minutes to feel confortable behind the wheel.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by roscoe118
Not true at all!!! The auto will shift at a lower RPM than most drivers shift a manual transmission. In fact, if you do get an auto, I would suggest you get it tuned. This will improve the shift points (RPM), shift firmness, and torque management. All of which will make the car feel much better/stronger/faster. My wife's C6 is an A6 (auto), and it feels like a completely different car after the tune. Now, when it shifts at a lower RPM (< say 2K) you are at a point in the torque (you care more about torque that HP in normal street driving!!!) curve with less torque, thus it doesn't feel as fast, or powerful. I ususally shift my manual (M6) C5 around 3K-3.5K RPM, which is well into the strong section of the torque curve, for normal street driving. An A6 tune will allow the trans to wait until above 2K RPM to shift.... Having said all that, with an A6 ON A TRACK, if you go to wide open throttle (WOT) you will fairly quickly get to "full HP"! But you better be ready for it because you will realize why all these folks are telling you to BE CAREFUL with these cars. 430HP/430ft.lb. (torque) in a 3200lb. car will get you into trouble very quickly. And, please, NEVER turn off Traction Control/Active Handling on the steet!!! As for learning to drive a manual, as others have said no dealer/sales person will let you learn on their car. Do you have a friend with a manual. Maybe a family member. That would be the best way to learn. The Vette is actually easier to learn on (the dreaded 1st gear start) because of all the torque that the LSX engines have. This keeps it from dying easily when you release the clutch to quickly. Anyway, sorry for the long post, and good luck with your choice. Oh, and BTW, us old pervs love pics of young hot ladies.... If your girl friend is cool with it, show her off!!!
Here you go me and my Wife
Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its a sports car/performance car, unless you are gonna drag race it all the time and want consistency at the track.

it is supposed to be a manual trans.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
BobMercer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 1962 while living in Brooklyn, NY, I purchased a 1959 Vet and learned how to drive a "stick" with very little difficulty. Never regretted the choice and it was a great experience. Something I will never forget and was the reason for the purchase of my bucket list purchase of the 2012 coupe. Automatic this time.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick

Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

So you have a wife and a gf? Good job playa!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My first stick shift ever was a vette.....

Pfadt Race Engineering
888-972-2464
info@pfadtracing.com

Old 12-06-2013, 12:58 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
So you have a wife and a gf? Good job playa!
Haha 👍

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick