C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
In before the **** talk starts!
y would the s*** talking start?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The automatic is faster than the stick. You can use the paddle shifters when you want to shift, or put it in "D" when you don't.
That way, it's always your choice.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by ButWhatDoIKnow
The automatic is faster than the stick. You can use the paddle shifters when you want to shift, or put it in "D" when you don't.
That way, it's always your choice.
that's another thing I hear is the stick you get the full HP but the auto your limited b/c it shift for you
Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Being young you should have no problem on learning to drive a stick. It's not that difficult. It is definitely more fun to drive a stick but if your short drive to work is hilly with stop lights it gets a little more tricky but you can master it after a while. Some of us old guys been there done that and like the comfort of the automatic. Don't know if an '08 had paddle shifters some of the others can verify but I will tell you for me that's the next best thing to the stick. Lots of luck whatever your choice is. You won't be sorry what ever your choice is.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Yes she will. They love hot cars too. And, if she doesn't know how to drive stick either, even better.
that's what I was thinking to lol . then she said your just going to be getting girls I said I can only fit one so you better drive with me
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 PM
HRS KLR
Instructor

Where's the pictures
Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by HRS KLR
Where's the pictures
of what ?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Lets see 20 years old, plastic car, 430+ HP to start with. I would suggest you get an automatic with this car you might live longer. I remember me when I was 20 and that is what I am basing my response on. I am curious to what you end up buying. Have fun, be careful and always watch out for the other guy, they are all stupid.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Stick's more fun.... more control...blah, blah, blah..... same old nonsensical talk.....

I've been rowing gears 56 years - my DD is a 328-series Ferrari (replaced my '07 C6).... I move through the gears daily.....

Paddle shift car has the best of both worlds... and anyone who thinks differently has not taken the time to learn to drive a paddle shift car - that too takes about half an hour....

Someone recommended you buy a beater with standard shift and learn to drive it..... good idea.

Then, go drive a car with paddle shift..... choice should be easy... paddle shift, says the Ferrari driver...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 PM
ReckDalton
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Stick's more fun.... more control...blah, blah, blah..... same old nonsensical talk.....

I've been rowing gears 56 years - my DD is a 328-series Ferrari (replaced my '07 C6).... I move through the gears daily.....

Paddle shift car has the best of both worlds... and anyone who thinks differently has not taken the time to learn to drive a paddle shift car - that too takes about half an hour....

Someone recommended you buy a beater with standard shift and learn to drive it..... good idea.

Then, go drive a car with paddle shift..... choice should be easy... paddle shift, says the Ferrari driver...
is the paddle shifter the same thing just on the wheel?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:48 PM
HRS KLR
Instructor

Originally Posted by ReckDalton

what u saying you wanna see her?
Just messin' with 'ya.

Be careful what ever you decide to get.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:26 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by HRS KLR
Just messin' with 'ya.
Well I'm not! We need to see the pic's of your said girlfriend to determine which transmission is best for you. It is the Corvette Forum way! OK, I guess I am messin' with 'ya. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:34 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
I wouldn't buy a stick if you're going to be doing a lot of stop-n-go driving.
Why not? Too difficult for you to operate the clutch and gas more than once a day.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Get a stick and enjoy driving the car and being in control, downshifting, banging the gears as you hit redline all the good stuff. Forget all this crap on the auto is faster, and the silly paddle shifters.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 AM
noz34me
Pro

OK, I'm going to take a different tack. 20 years old? Are you still living at home with the parents or are you independently wealthy?

If the former, forget buying a $30K car and go to school, learn a trade, whatever. Get out of your parent's house, and learn how to make it on your own.

If the latter, buy whatever you want, but be careful. No dealer is going to teach you how to drive a stick. Learn how to on a 4 cylinder beater, and you will be amazed how 400+ ft/lbs of trq. makes that easier.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A sports car should be manual period. Unless you are over 60yrs old, then Auto is ok.

Never buy a car and follow what a woman says, they are wrong. Buy a car based on what you like and think is best for you.

Never let your girlfriend drive your car.

I thought myself to drive stick long time ago and I thought my wife too. Is pretty easy.

Respect the Corvette, is a powerful car and you can get in trouble easily if you act immature.

Don't be an idiot, no street racing. Take it to the track.

You will love a Corvette, that is a promise.

G/L with your purchase
Old 12-06-2013, 08:20 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ReckDalton
that's another thing I hear is the stick you get the full HP but the auto your limited b/c it shift for you
Not true at all!!! The auto will shift at a lower RPM than most drivers shift a manual transmission. In fact, if you do get an auto, I would suggest you get it tuned. This will improve the shift points (RPM), shift firmness, and torque management. All of which will make the car feel much better/stronger/faster. My wife's C6 is an A6 (auto), and it feels like a completely different car after the tune.

Now, when it shifts at a lower RPM (< say 2K) you are at a point in the torque (you care more about torque that HP in normal street driving!!!) curve with less torque, thus it doesn't feel as fast, or powerful. I ususally shift my manual (M6) C5 around 3K-3.5K RPM, which is well into the strong section of the torque curve, for normal street driving. An A6 tune will allow the trans to wait until above 2K RPM to shift....

Having said all that, with an A6 ON A TRACK, if you go to wide open throttle (WOT) you will fairly quickly get to "full HP"! But you better be ready for it because you will realize why all these folks are telling you to BE CAREFUL with these cars. 430HP/430ft.lb. (torque) in a 3200lb. car will get you into trouble very quickly. And, please, NEVER turn off Traction Control/Active Handling on the steet!!!

As for learning to drive a manual, as others have said no dealer/sales person will let you learn on their car. Do you have a friend with a manual. Maybe a family member. That would be the best way to learn. The Vette is actually easier to learn on (the dreaded 1st gear start) because of all the torque that the LSX engines have. This keeps it from dying easily when you release the clutch to quickly.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, and good luck with your choice. Oh, and BTW, us old pervs love pics of young hot ladies.... If your girl friend is cool with it, show her off!!!

Last edited by roscoe118; 12-06-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick

Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I hadn't driven a stick in decades when I bought my 1st standard corvette.............the only issue was the stupid 1-4 skip shift. Get that disabled before you leave the lot if you get a standard. Taught my teenage daughter to drive stick in minutes----really, in minutes. Of course she wasn't perfect---heck, I still stall it-----but she was driving my ZO6 more than I was without any problem. Hills at lights can be intimidating, but we all learn. If going standard, I would recommend the ZO6---but since girlfriend doesn't like it......and you say she is hot--you have to decide if she will be around for the long term.................that is your biggest decision (or hers). Guys in our club that race have switched to automatics in recent years.............love the stick, but don't know if I would want it for my everyday car. To learn------see about renting a standard for a day from a car rental place---or make it part of the corvette purchase that they have to spend 30 minutes showing you---you will know enough then to get it home and practice.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
Being young you should have no problem on learning to drive a stick. It's not that difficult. It is definitely more fun to drive a stick but if your short drive to work is hilly with stop lights it gets a little more tricky but you can master it after a while. Some of us old guys been there done that and like the comfort of the automatic. Don't know if an '08 had paddle shifters some of the others can verify but I will tell you for me that's the next best thing to the stick. Lots of luck whatever your choice is. You won't be sorry what ever your choice is.
Age has nothing to do with it; I'm 68. Paddle shifters aren't that great; at least not as great as some people are opined to think. My '05 is a stick and I love it; of course, I've been driving since I was 15, and probably learned to drive a stick shortly thereafter. My wife is much, much younger and has an '07 auto with paddle shifts on the steering column. We have driven each others vettes on occasion. Her automatic is ok (she got it because she had knee surgery and is in stop and go commuter traffic to work for about an hour each way. The paddle shift is not that exciting; do a poll and you you might discover that the novelty has worn off and they just leave it in D (drive) most of the time. Oh wait! To those who love the paddle shifter, sorry if the truth hurts.

Regardless of all of our opinions posted, it is going to be your corvette, so you should make a decision based on your own wants and needs. Good luck with whichever one you choose.

The stick shift manual is more fun. It is also rated for better gas mileage than the automatic.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

No one can answer that question for you, best advice here was to go out and buy a beater, drive it for a couple of months, long enough for the initial thrill to wear off and see if the passion for shifting remains, me I like shifting and would be bored in an auto, I know the automatic can be made to shift faster than any manual car can, but I don't care about that I just enjoy the feel of a manual shift more, as far as paddle shifters are concerned just not the same, JMO to each their own though.

Quick Reply: im 20 years old looking to buy a 08+ should i get auto or stick never drivin stick