C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Seats

Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 AM
jlherod
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heated Seats

My 07 drivers seat heater quit working over the weekend. When I push the button the red light comes on then goes off. Any suggestions on where to start checking?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My 12 GS passenger side does the same thing.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The diagnostic procedure for inoperative heated seat is a long one (3 1/2 pages with 41 tests). Do both top and bottom not work? If just one then it is the element or connector. If no heat at all to the seat then it starts to get very complicated. Do you have a volt meter and are you comfortable with tearing into electrical control connectors where shorting between two pins can get very expensive? If so I can send you the schematic and you can start probing the heated seat control module for control voltages.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM
lolk de liffiac
Navigator

That sound very interesting (I´m planning to swap C6 seats in my C3). Was it possible you could send the schematic for heated seats to me also ?
Erik
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
LPT2011
Instructor

C6 knows when its winter and shouldn't be driven ... its giving you a hint
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LPT2011
C6 knows when its winter and shouldn't be driven ... its giving you a hint
why its 55 here in houston today. i drive mine everyday its a car thats what it is for.

i did have to use my heated seats this morn though
Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
c6vette142dude
Pro

I agree, I just spent the past few months up in ND. When I left Saturday it was -25.. drove all the way to TX through MT, WY and CO! 94w through MT and WY was 95% ice and snow through the winding up and down mountains. CO freeways were nice though. I drove past many SUV's and p/u's on the side of the road. If you know how to drive and use good judgement, any vehicle can be driven almost anywhere. Why so many are set on placing these limits the Vette is beyond me. [shrug]

The heated seats works great. Used them for months w/o an issue almost on a daily basis for months.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jlherod
My 07 drivers seat heater quit working over the weekend. When I push the button the red light comes on then goes off. Any suggestions on where to start checking?
Had the same squawk on my car. Found a chaffed wire under my seat. I drive with the seat full down and believe this was the cause of the problem.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

I had an issue with my passenger seat. Before I took ownership of the car from the previous owner he said the the cigarette lighter door was sticking and would get the dealer to replace it while he was getting an oil change for me. about 6 months later after ownership I pushed for the first time the passenger button and nothing...no light. So I decided to to look in behind the console just to see whats up and viola the connector from the push button switch wasnt connected. The dealer probably knocked it off when they were swapping out the door. .

check your connections while your at it.

I didnt even have to rip apart the console, there is a gap there on the side where you can get needle nose pliers in and re-attach the connector

Last edited by crusher1; 12-12-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lolk de liffiac
That sound very interesting (I´m planning to swap C6 seats in my C3). Was it possible you could send the schematic for heated seats to me also ?
Erik
It seems that EVERYTHING on a C6 is controlled by either the BCM or ECM. If you don't have the Body Control Module and associated serial data bus, the heated seats will never work as designed. You just need to cut the connector under the seat and start rewiring a switch to apply power to the elements. They will get too hot because you won't have the temperature control. The BCM uses 2 thermocouples in the seats but reading a thermocouple and adding a relay is probably more work and a lot more expensive than just finding some kind of small thermostat to insert into the foam. Hint: there's a reason the diagnostics were 3 1/2 pages and 41 steps.

But if you still want the schematics, send me a PM with your email address and I'll scan them.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:15 PM
loudvolvo
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exact same thing happened with mine a couple months ago. There is a heated seat module under your seat with two connectors going to it. A wire on one of those connectors melted, in turn that melted part of the connector and the module!!!! luckily i had it all replaced under warranty. parts an labor were around $600
Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 PM
lolk de liffiac
Navigator

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
It seems that EVERYTHING on a C6 is controlled by either the BCM or ECM. If you don't have the Body Control Module and associated serial data bus, the heated seats will never work as designed. You just need to cut the connector under the seat and start rewiring a switch to apply power to the elements. They will get too hot because you won't have the temperature control. The BCM uses 2 thermocouples in the seats but reading a thermocouple and adding a relay is probably more work and a lot more expensive than just finding some kind of small thermostat to insert into the foam. Hint: there's a reason the diagnostics were 3 1/2 pages and 41 steps.

But if you still want the schematics, send me a PM with your email address and I'll scan them.
Thats very nice of you, thank you. I have send my email to you.
Regards
Erik
Old 12-14-2013, 08:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

You guys just love to see me wrong, don't you?

I said that the heated seats would need the BCM and serial data bus but after reviewing the schematics again prior to sending them to Lolk I see that, as I knew, the BCM is involved and does monitor various other conditions in the car to decide how to apply heat but it does NOT use the serial bus to communicate the signals to the seat module. It uses only 2 logic voltages to inhibit the heater and check the status. When power is limited in the car the BCM modulates the inhibit input signal to reduce or eliminate the load. I misread the schematics the first time and thought the seat module was communicating through the serial bus to the BCM instead of through voltage logic pins.

Since Lolk is installing these in a C3, these signals aren't really needed. If a C3's battery is going dead the driver should be smart enough to turn off the heaters without having a computer do it for them. And if the heaters aren't working right, the driver will figure that out without OBD codes. So if that logic is eliminated the remaining connections to the heater module in each seat are just power, switches, leds, and the seat components to measure temperature and the heater elements. It is the seat module that measures the temperature and controls power to the heaters, not the BCM. It would be fairly easy to wire up a set of heated C6 seats in your office and have them function almost the same as they do in the car.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 PM
lolk de liffiac
Navigator

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
You guys just love to see me wrong, don't you?

I said that the heated seats would need the BCM and serial data bus but after reviewing the schematics again prior to sending them to Lolk I see that, as I knew, the BCM is involved and does monitor various other conditions in the car to decide how to apply heat but it does NOT use the serial bus to communicate the signals to the seat module. It uses only 2 logic voltages to inhibit the heater and check the status. When power is limited in the car the BCM modulates the inhibit input signal to reduce or eliminate the load. I misread the schematics the first time and thought the seat module was communicating through the serial bus to the BCM instead of through voltage logic pins.

Since Lolk is installing these in a C3, these signals aren't really needed. If a C3's battery is going dead the driver should be smart enough to turn off the heaters without having a computer do it for them. And if the heaters aren't working right, the driver will figure that out without OBD codes. So if that logic is eliminated the remaining connections to the heater module in each seat are just power, switches, leds, and the seat components to measure temperature and the heater elements. It is the seat module that measures the temperature and controls power to the heaters, not the BCM. It would be fairly easy to wire up a set of heated C6 seats in your office and have them function almost the same as they do in the car.
Thank you very much, it was so beautiful you could help with some of the problems.
Erik

Get notified of new replies

To Heated Seats

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Seats