C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vert vs. removable top driving experience difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM
sshu
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Default vert vs. removable top driving experience difference

I've driven a few convertibles/roadsters and really enjoyed the open air driving experience. I've never driven a car with just an open top like in the C6/C7 vette. Does the open top just feel like a large sunroof opening or is it closer to a convertible feel?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,597 Likes on 1,632 Posts

It is close, but not the same and never will be. If you want to track your car and have open air, it is the best you can do. If you don't track your car, there is nothing like a drop top.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Just my opinion of course but, the targa top off is nothing like a top down vert.

Like you mentioned, it's more of a large sun roof.......but more open. Just sayin'.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Just my opinion of course but, the targa top off is nothing like a top down vert.

Like you mentioned, it's more of a large sun roof.......but more open. Just sayin'.
I agree. I have owned three coupes and two verts. My next will be another vert.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

My first was a roadster. But I prefer the lines of the coupe and the targa is fine for me but I seldom have it off. Seems every time I see a vert they have the windows rolled up so I guess I don't understand the concept.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
It is close, but not the same and never will be. If you want to track your car and have open air, it is the best you can do. If you don't track your car, there is nothing like a drop top.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The wind buffeting in a coupe is more than I can stand.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Seems every time I see a vert they have the windows rolled up so I guess I don't understand the concept.
I don't understand having the top down and windows up either. That's something I have never done.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
I don't understand having the top down and windows up either. That's something I have never done.
It greatly reduces buffeting, while still providing the open feel. It's a good option sometimes on the freeway. Of course, it is still just a matter of preference, but I hope you can at least understand why some people do it.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 509 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I agree, top down and windows up is out, at least for me. Nothing but convertibles over the last 40 years and 7 'Vettes, and no intention to change now. I'll keep my C6 for another year or two, then trade for a C7. I've driven a lot of coupes over the years, and it is NOT the same, by a long shot. Not bad, just different.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 PM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

The coupe with the top off is somewhere between a sunroof and a convertible. I think the experience is a bit closer to a convertible. While I enjoy the full open air of a convertible, driving with the top up sucks, it doesn't look as good, and the vert has a lot less storage space.

The coupe with the targa top is the best of all worlds.

Edit: I laugh every time I see top off and windows up. What's the point?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=SlayerRX8;1585577705]The coupe with the top off is somewhere between a sunroof and a convertible. I think the experience is a bit closer to a convertible. While I enjoy the full open air of a convertible, driving with the top up sucks, it doesn't look as good, and the vert has a lot less storage space.

Edit: I laugh every time I see top off and windows up. What's the point?[/QUOTE]

Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 PM
skikev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KWC6
[QUOTE=SlayerRX8;1585577705]The coupe with the top off is somewhere between a sunroof and a convertible. I think the experience is a bit closer to a convertible. While I enjoy the full open air of a convertible, driving with the top up sucks, it doesn't look as good, and the vert has a lot less storage space.

Edit: I laugh every time I see top off and windows up. What's the point?
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-02-2013, 07:59 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SlayerRX8
I laugh every time I see top off and windows up. What's the point?
Since you use the word "off" instead of "down," I assume you are referring to a coupe's top, rather than a convertible's top. However, I would also assume that the point is similar in both cases: the driver wants the feel of open-air driving, but it may be too cold or windy for the driver and/or passenger with the top off/down.

Just the other day I was driving my son to a baseball tournament, and he complained that he was cold (it was before dawn). I was on the freeway and didn't want to pull over, so I just raised his window, and he immediately felt comfortably warm (with the heater and seat warmer on).

I drive with the top and windows down almost all of the time, but if someone wants to raise their windows to block some of the wind, that doesn't strike me as especially funny.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 PM
RULOOKIN
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

owned both and will always own a VERT from now on !! I really hope the new z06 is a hard top convertible like the XLR I will buy it for sure !!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

From a practical standpoint, the coupe is the better choice. It has a larger storage area and is tougher to break into. A vert, while it does have storage room, it is limited. I would also be concerned about someone slashing the top especially when traveling and having to leave it outside. I also believe taking the targa top off is sort of a pain when compared to an electric vert top.

As far as experience goes, the vert wins hands down. Besides the buffeting some describe, just the feeling of being completely wide open you get in a vert is awesome. I will strongly consider a vert for my next Vette.

Last edited by unixcorn; 12-02-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

top down windows up I simple. There are a few reasons to do it. Around here there I a LOT of traffic on the highway. top down lets you have, well, top down. windows up reduces the noise of all the traffic on the highway next to you. There is also that phone thing. Some of us actually use the phone while driving during working hours. windows up lets you have top down feeling with way less noise while on the phone.
Then there I the wind thing. windows up reduces buffeting and keeps your hair in place, or more importantly your girls hair.

Then when you are driving side roads in leiu of highway, windows back down.

Get notified of new replies

To vert vs. removable top driving experience difference

Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just my 2 cents:

ain't nothing like a vert, and the coupe's removable top is horrible if you're going faster than 25 mph. It's like driving in a wind tunnel.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing like a vert!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzebill
just my 2 cents:

ain't nothing like a vert, and the coupe's removable top is horrible if you're going faster than 25 mph. It's like driving in a wind tunnel.
My opinion is it's not horrible and I love the top off and driving at interstate speeds. Now everyone is even.

Quick Reply: vert vs. removable top driving experience difference