C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flat vs regular Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

It sounds like run flats are magnets for debris.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 645 Posts

I needed runflats just after I bought my wifes car for her. I couldn't believe how well they worked. 3/8" x 2" bolt up into the sidewall causing irreparable damage. I was thankful they were on the car. Drove it home on the highway which I couldn't have done on a traditional tire. The brand of tire to me doesn't matter so much as it's runflat capability. I would even encourage them on cars with spares. As many of you that have had flat tires can attest to sometimes they happen in areas that don't lend themselves to a quick and safe tire change.

I like the OEM RF Goodyears for the street. For the reasons many don't like them just isn't important to me and less so to my wife who drives it. If the car isn't on slicks like if the TIPS tool or TPMS sensor is acting funky she just looks at me with that dejected look and says "so you're telling me I have to drive slow now?" Street tires to her really don't have any meaningful grip in the dry so I have never felt the need to even bother her about one brand over another.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:25 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,190 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
It sounds like run flats are magnets for debris.
No, miles driven are.

lisa
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

For me it is all about peace of mind. That is why I stay with run flats. If I tracked my car I might think differently. But for now, ultimate performance is less of a need than my peace of mind.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
You know they're ruined in about 10 miles, and collapse with less than 50, right? . And also that VERY few tire shops can actually work on RFs with such low profile, and basically NONE will have a Vette tire in stock, right? So unless you work in the bronx at night, RFs are useless IMO (especially on the open road). You need to treat them like a regular tire, meaning you need to patch it as soon as you get the TPMS warning. Most RF owners are ill-informed about RF tires... and that can even be dangerous.

I have personally tried a 7-yr-old 'Stop'n Go' kit and worked flawlessly. If you have those 'goo' kits, they dry out in less than a year, so don't think you'll be safe if you have one of those. I also understand it'd be a PITA to find the puncture, so besides an electric compressor, I carry a BMW jack kit that fits perfectly behind the passenger seat, so I could remove the tire and do the job more comfortably. Needless to say, as soon as the G:2s are done, am switching to cheaper, better (in the wet), lighter, quieter, grippier, and longer-lasting Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the GS . Plus you can permanently fix them at a ton more tire shops than an RF. But to each his own .
Please stop justifying your opinion with bs....where is the facepalm gif??
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 AM
BLK08C6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the peace of mind of run flats. I still have the original GY run flats on my 08 with Z51 now with 11900 miles on them. Made my fist road trip to the NCM this past June, a trip of about 1100 miles. On the way home picked up a screw in the left rear tire, lost pressure slowly then quickly went down to flat. The run flats enabled me to drive to a tire shop and get it repaired instead of being stranded on the side of the road or on the side of the road trying to plug a tire or put that nasty green sh#t in the tire. I will again buy run flats when I replace these tires. I personally do not have a problem with the ride. I feel the run flats get more criticism than is justified. There, I said it.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
You know they're ruined in about 10 miles, and collapse with less than 50, right? . And also that VERY few tire shops can actually work on RFs with such low profile, and basically NONE will have a Vette tire in stock, right? So unless you work in the bronx at night, RFs are useless IMO (especially on the open road). You need to treat them like a regular tire, meaning you need to patch it as soon as you get the TPMS warning. Most RF owners are ill-informed about RF tires... and that can even be dangerous.

I have personally tried a 7-yr-old 'Stop'n Go' kit and worked flawlessly. If you have those 'goo' kits, they dry out in less than a year, so don't think you'll be safe if you have one of those. I also understand it'd be a PITA to find the puncture, so besides an electric compressor, I carry a BMW jack kit that fits perfectly behind the passenger seat, so I could remove the tire and do the job more comfortably. Needless to say, as soon as the G:2s are done, am switching to cheaper, better (in the wet), lighter, quieter, grippier, and longer-lasting Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the GS . Plus you can permanently fix them at a ton more tire shops than an RF. But to each his own .
All major tire shops,Firestone,Goodyear,Discount Tire & others can repair a RF with no problem.Now if you have a Hoopie" with 22" low profile"s you have a problem....
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 AM
gordonboss
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

i have run regulars for two sets now not a problem AAA card in back pocket but seriously, i haven't had a flat on any of my cars in 20 years.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 PM
kk5zc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcallen484
There are times run flats make life easier...

Been there without runflats!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Great pic.

Non RF for me, the noise reduction and ride is well worth the switch.

I carry a slime kit.

The car is more civil with the absence of the RF technology.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus RF, Beretta 1911.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

I have Michelin RF's and like them alot other than they are exspensive. But you generally get what you pay for. If I knew I would always be driving around town and never a road trip I would probably go with non RF's. It's nice having that peace of mind in the middle of the night in the middle of no where that I have RF's.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TCW
ALL tires are smooth and quiet when new. That green goop will junk an $86 air pressure sensor!

How do you air up a flat tire with a gun?

Tom
The gun is used to shoot the flat tire,since it is ruined anyway & maybe your rim if it is a non Rf...
Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by surburban99
I went through the same as you, run flat vs. non run flat. I just switched out the Goodyear Run Craps for a complete set of Firestone Wide Oval Run Flats. I could not be happier with my choice.

The Firestone run flats are a great tire value for the price. The ride, handling, and noise level is much better vs. the Goodyear in my opinion. My 2008 Coupe is so quiet now and it rides like a new car. Plus, you get the protection of a run flat.

Good Luck
I'm on my 2nd set..
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 734 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLEN007
I have Michelin RF's and like them alot other than they are exspensive. But you generally get what you pay for. If I knew I would always be driving around town and never a road trip I would probably go with non RF's. It's nice having that peace of mind in the middle of the night in the middle of no where that I have RF's.
Actually, the price for Michelin PSS ZP's (runflats) are competitively priced. There is no longer the performance excuse, just look how the C7's are performing with PSS ZP's, over 1.03 g's. Serious track racers will have there own set of tires for the track.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 01-09-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by choprfgr
It seems that no one understands that run flat will get you home
when it is cut or punctured irrepairably.
A can of slime/ a plug kit/ a compressor will not help you get
home if your tire is cut or the hole is bigger than 1/8 inch.
Non run-flat be sure to pack an appropriate caliber for Chupacabra
if you're in the Southwest and you plan on crawling around on the side of the road. Also - the coyotes out there are the size of German Shepards.
Like I-10 going West.Right!!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
If you want a softer ride AND your Vette is locally-driven, then get non-RF's.

If your Vette is daily driver and/or long distance hauler, then get RF's.
Goodyear has given runflats a bad reputation. The Michelin runflats (and probably others that I have not tried) are much more like non-runflats.

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flat vs regular Tires

Old 01-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
A lot of cars don't even have run flats or a spare tire anymore. Run flats are inferior in just about every category. I know some run flat owners will say you can drive for hundreds of miles on run flat that has no air or is damaged. Seriously? You are going to drive at 40-50mph on a highway that has speed limits up to 80mph. Try that in Utah and you WILL have a semi up your exhaust pipes. I drove two hundred miles on a temp spare in my wife's Yukon and it felt unsafe. The reason I drove that far is because there wasn't a repair shop open. Now I carry the can of slime, air compressor and plug kit in all my vehicles for long trips. I would do that if I owned a vehicle with run flats (which is not many).

You don't want some mechanic in the middle of nowhere to attempt to remove your runflat tire off your rim. That could be real expensive. I've seen even good mechanics ask for someone to help them when removing a run flat. What will the one mechanic do in the middle of no where?
Texas freeways are up to date.They have a emergency lane to drive in..
Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 PM
cribbage
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flats

Originally Posted by Stevek9109
Thanks to all !!!!
Had the Goodyears, noisy and wanted non- run flats. Somehow missed communications and got run flats. Got a nail, glad I did, drove to repair. Michelins much better than GY.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 AM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default old school with run flats

old school and love it!!!!!!!!!!!! S&W Mod-59, Colt Python 4" chrome, Harley Crossbones w/ Vance & Hines Big Shots and 2013 Grand Sport with Goodyear Run Flats. rough ride, noisy, if it's easy it not worth anything! ever fire am M-16 in full automatic, and 50 caliber. Now that's noisy and effective. Stay with run flats, they are life savers. Don't want an air pump or patch kit. Drive to tire store and buy a new tire. enough said.

Quick Reply: Run Flat vs regular Tires